RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Engine sludge, Class action suit?

Old 01-13-07, 12:15 AM
hitthepin
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine sludge, Class action suit?

So does this mean owners are "fully" covered or are there restrictions?

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/...ine-Sludge.php

There's a sentence toward the bottom that owners must have made resonable efforts to keep up maintenance. How would DIY'ers prove this?

I'm sorry to say I didn't know enough early on when I bought the car to keep receipts of every case of oil and filter.
Old 01-13-07, 06:10 AM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

It's up to Lexus/Toyota to determine what was reasonable. Most articles I've read seem to state 1 oil change per year for a minimum requirement. DIY'ers with no dated receipts are more than likely going to get burned. Proof of oil change(s) should be provided in order to make a claim. Also, you need to be registered as a claimant and have the glove box coupon in your possesion. The wife's RX was one of the few that was never sent the letter with the accompaning coupon. If you suspect you are having this problem pursue it with diligence and don't give up!!!! My wife's engine might cost me $10K at the dealership to repair if we lose out on our claim. I have the dated receipts from reputable shops and am still having to fight to get satisfaction. My case is currently in the hands of the corporate west coast rep. If he decides against us, I have the option to get a 3rd party mediator whose decision will be final. Lot's more information and how to get confirmed you have a registered vehicle can be found here: Call the phone numbers listed!!

http://www.oilgelsettlement.com/
Old 01-13-07, 07:29 AM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

For DIYs, receipt (or record) for purchase of oil and filter may be presented. Although they do not prove oil was changed, but one can make a case based on that .... specially if the dates are spread based on milage.

Salim
Old 01-13-07, 01:34 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
For DIYs, receipt (or record) for purchase of oil and filter may be presented. Although they do not prove oil was changed, but one can make a case based on that .... specially if the dates are spread based on milage.

Salim
I certainly wouldn't want to be a DIY's trying this method.
Old 01-14-07, 06:39 AM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

Just a suggestion for those of you who may have bought your 1999-2002 RX used, take it in and have the valve covers removed for inspection of oil sludge/gel. You have no clue how the previous owners maintained the vehicle. Finding this condition early could possibly prevent a major break down. The symptons don't always show themselves. Check engine light on and/or blue smoke out the tail pipe did not happen on our RX. It had oil then suddenly it was gone. Just because you are changing fluids regularly doesn't mean the problem wasn't pre-existing.
Old 01-14-07, 10:08 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GWELEX
Just a suggestion for those of you who may have bought your 1999-2002 RX used, take it in and have the valve covers removed for inspection of oil sludge/gel. You have no clue how the previous owners maintained the vehicle. Finding this condition early could possibly prevent a major break down. The symptons don't always show themselves. Check engine light on and/or blue smoke out the tail pipe did not happen on our RX. It had oil then suddenly it was gone. Just because you are changing fluids regularly doesn't mean the problem wasn't pre-existing.
How often did you change oil and when did sludge occur on your RX?
Old 01-14-07, 06:18 PM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

Since I'm in litagation all I'm going to say now is enough oil changes during our period of ownership that I don't feel responible for the failure. They were well within the minimum requirements. We bought it 2 1/2 years ago, no problems, ran great right up until the end. As a matter of fact the wife's RX's dependability and reliabilty is why I bought my GS a year later. I checked her oil often, at least once a month and it was always full or at the most 1/4 quart low. Then in late December it suddenly went from from full to only 1 1/2 quarts left in it when it seized. The cam bearing seized while idiling in the driveway. That's the other sympton stated in the Class Action, sudden oil loss. When Lexus took the valve covers off, the left hand side of the head was covered with sludge/gel. According to the Lexus mechanic this is due to a faulty design in the valve cover thus causing the PVC system to clog/not work properly. Toyota/Lexus now offers updated valve covers to help alleviate the oil gel problem. At a minimum, I still recomend to anyone who has bought a used 1999-2002 RX 300 to have the covers pulled and inspected. If they have the old style covers replace them with the updated version and save your maintenace receipts until 2010 when the Class Action claim will expire.
Old 01-14-07, 10:34 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

That makes me curious as to why Lexus apparently changed the PCV valve design (as we saw in another thread) and that I have also seen on the the 3MZFE engine models down here from Toyota. I personally use an engine flush treatment from Liqui Moly every oil change to clear out gunk. A few years back my uncle did open up the valve cover and nothing. I don't know from what I read here and understand about our engines what the magic factor(s) are in the end. I keep hearing about short trips in the vehicle and no allowing it warm up, along with earlier models and cooling issues and claims owners are not doing oil changes often enough. However, in the end, it is probably something one will never truly know, quite like the transmission problem.
Old 01-15-07, 07:34 AM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lexmex
That makes me curious as to why Lexus apparently changed the PCV valve design (as we saw in another thread) and that I have also seen on the the 3MZFE engine models down here from Toyota. I personally use an engine flush treatment from Liqui Moly every oil change to clear out gunk. A few years back my uncle did open up the valve cover and nothing. I don't know from what I read here and understand about our engines what the magic factor(s) are in the end. I keep hearing about short trips in the vehicle and no allowing it warm up, along with earlier models and cooling issues and claims owners are not doing oil changes often enough. However, in the end, it is probably something one will never truly know, quite like the transmission problem.
Exactly, why make a design change if your stand is that there isn't a problem? Lack of engine warm up and short trips didn't contribute to our problem. We're 25 miles away from the nearest town and have a 62 mile one way commute to work. During the winter months our vehicles idle to operating temps so that they are beginning to blow warm air when we leave. We've recently had a week of -10F temps and no one wants a cold car in those temps, so the cars are always warmed up before leaving. Remember, her cam bearing seized while warming up in the driveway. As you stated, we will probably never know the why of this.
Old 01-15-07, 08:08 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Very good points here. We may not know and there is a possibility that Lexus(Toyota) does not know as well.

Any one who has done fault analysis can tell you, that working your way backwards to root cause is extremely diffcult. Specially when the problem manifest itself in a product which is operated in non controlled conditions. Then again not every product fails. The "golden' model [standard test model at factory] which is subjected to controlled environment does not exhibit the same symptoms. ... argh

Salim
Old 01-15-07, 08:18 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by GWELEX
Exactly, why make a design change if your stand is that there isn't a problem? Lack of engine warm up and short trips didn't contribute to our problem. We're 25 miles away from the nearest town and have a 62 mile one way commute to work. During the winter months our vehicles idle to operating temps so that they are beginning to blow warm air when we leave. We've recently had a week of -10F temps and no one wants a cold car in those temps, so the cars are always warmed up before leaving. Remember, her cam bearing seized while warming up in the driveway. As you stated, we will probably never know the why of this.

There are many reasons to change and a fix can be one of them.

If it is a fix which results in confirmation, then a recall is the next "right" step.

There can be an attempt to improve a situation (taking potentially one or more variables out of the possible cause of a problem).

The other most common reasons are ... reduced cost (production or sharing), refinement, improved part, improved emission, ease of maintainence etc. etc. These changes are generally driven by cost and good intentions. They may or may not result in better product. [This goes counter to if it is not broken why fix it, but they still happen]

Salim

Salim
Old 01-15-07, 03:24 PM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

Salim:

Your point is well taken. Cars wouldn't get any better if improvememnts weren't made. However, IMO, it appears that the new valve cover design was as a result of complaints from the oil problem, not to better the overall efficiency of the vehicle. Credit given for the attempt to make it better.
Old 01-15-07, 05:15 PM
quest51210
Driver School Candidate

i am looking at a 1999 ES300 w/64k miles at a dealership this week. it is a one owner and well maintained. anything i should look out for? they are asking $13k is that too much?
Old 01-15-07, 08:18 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by quest51210
i am looking at a 1999 ES300 w/64k miles at a dealership this week. it is a one owner and well maintained. anything i should look out for? they are asking $13k is that too much?
If you are looking at an ES, would suggest posting over in the ES forum. Although, they do share similar motors with the RX and probably the biggest thing to check out is the maintenance records with regard to the transmission fluid changes, when they done and at what mileage along with a record of motor oil changes.
Old 01-18-07, 09:26 AM
anulex
Pole Position

so from what i am reading, I am i to assume that there was a valve cover change in 2002? and, if there is is lexus replacing them for free? thank God i am fully warranteed to 2008 and get free oil changes from the Toyota dealer

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine sludge, Class action suit?