RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Check engine light: vacuum leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-09, 08:29 PM
ddell10
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hello again i looked good after more reading in this wonderful forum i had a disconnected hose behind air box .Thank you
Old 04-11-10, 09:52 AM
abstractj
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, I too am going through this situation. PO171 code with my recently purchased 2000 RX300 with only 67,000 miles on it. I've cleaned the MAF twice this latest time with a q-tip. I reset the CEL and everything is good, but then after a week of driving the light came on again with 171. Power seems to be fine, then again I don't know since I just bought the car a few months ago. Not losing mileage either. My next step is to check for vacuum leaks. Also have an aftermarket MAF sensor coming. Fingers crossed...
Old 04-13-10, 07:22 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

I had P0171 and tried cleaning the MAF without success. Replaced it and all is fine. They do go bad. Very common. cleaning is the first step but it doesn't always work.
Old 04-25-10, 06:28 PM
abstractj
Driver School Candidate

Man, installed the new MAF sensor and the Check Engine light came back on again after about 100 miles of driving, then it went off again without resetting then this afternoon the error came back again. Is there a DIY vacuum test post somewhere? I just need to know where the vacuum is located so I can spray some brake cleaner. Thanks.
Old 04-26-10, 07:26 AM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

Is the brake cleaner safe to be introduced in the vacuum line?

Salim
Old 04-26-10, 10:00 AM
ByTor
Driver

Gas Cap defective.
Old 04-26-10, 06:54 PM
abstractj
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
Is the brake cleaner safe to be introduced in the vacuum line?

Salim
Saw it on a few forums and videos online that used the brake cleaner. Supposedly the idle will go down if there is a leak.
Old 04-26-10, 06:58 PM
abstractj
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ByTor
Gas Cap defective.
Going to replace the air filter with an OEM one. I noticed the light after my wife went to Walmart for an oil change. She mentioned they changed the air filter. If that doesn't work I'll change the gas cap.

BTW, the light seems to come on when I am accelerating on the freeway.

Oh, I checked the often mentioned hose that's behind the MAF and it's connected.
Old 04-26-10, 08:38 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by abstractj
Saw it on a few forums and videos online that used the brake cleaner. Supposedly the idle will go down if there is a leak.
That would be carb-cleaner and not the brake cleaner. Depending on where you squirt it, make sure it is safe for sensor. With carb cleaner, the rpm will go up.

Salim
Old 04-26-10, 08:39 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by abstractj
Going to replace the air filter with an OEM one. I noticed the light after my wife went to Walmart for an oil change. She mentioned they changed the air filter. If that doesn't work I'll change the gas cap.

BTW, the light seems to come on when I am accelerating on the freeway.

Oh, I checked the often mentioned hose that's behind the MAF and it's connected.
Check the vac pipe is connected to the air box. It can get dislodged when the box is messed with.

Salim
Old 04-27-10, 07:51 AM
abstractj
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
Check the vac pipe is connected to the air box. It can get dislodged when the box is messed with.

Salim
Thanks Salim. I did check the vac pipe and it is connected. Going down the list of checks...
Old 04-27-10, 08:48 AM
ByTor
Driver

Just a note, my air box is not tightly sealed, only used zip ties. The oil change dude lost two clips for the air box, so I had to improvise. Can't just buy the clips, have to buy the entire air box assembly for several hundred dollars. CEL and VSC light would come on occasionally with air box intact, seems to come on less now with zipped tied, leaky air box. So air filter and air box is not a fix. I have had best results with just re tightening the gas cap. Car runs no different with lighs on or off.
Old 04-27-10, 09:20 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by ByTor
Car runs no different with lighs on or off.
If the end objective is the car that runs, you are OK. But the electronics in the car are observing an out of range value from a sensor or two and making its best effort to compensate for it and throwing out a code. In the county I live in, we are required to pass an emission test and typically you fail with CEL on. And parts, labor (DIY --> my time) will not get any cheaper over time, so I would do all I could to solve the problem. Or keep at it.

Vacuum leaks are hard to trace. A fiend of mine had a leak in a bellow-like hose. At idle there would be no leak and when you gas the engine, it would torque of the mounts and open up the bellow to let in air. Try the carb-cleaner.

Salim
Old 09-11-10, 01:49 PM
Sc5Speed
Driver School Candidate

I just had a code 0442 and read the posts, checked the little hose, seemed half way on, took off the neg. on the battery, put it back on and the code is gone....I have driven it around the neighborhood and turned it on and off a few times stopping in on other neighbors...I wonder if it is fixed? I will post the outcome.....

Wife called while out and said the check engine light is back on...

Hmmm,

the code definition says gas cap , so I replaced it.....shall see if that code rears it'ds ugly head again.

Last edited by Sc5Speed; 09-19-10 at 06:34 AM.
Old 10-18-10, 04:38 PM
davidyal
Driver

Originally Posted by mikey00
The hose lexmex is referring to is part of the evap system and when disconnected will through off P0440, P441 and P0446 codes. This is a common problem as it is very easy to disconnect the hose when lifting up the top of the air box to check the air filter. The hose is located behind the air box and connected to the top/back of the lid. It is directly under the brake fluid resovoir. The hose connects to a metal tube about 10" down. This is where it usually disconnects.
After several weekes with code P0442 & P0446, I just discovered that the hose behind the airbox was disconnected. My hands are too big to reach in there as is. Can someone explain what the best way to reach and reconnect the hose is?

Quick Reply: Check engine light: vacuum leak