RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Got Michelin Cross Terrain tires... rough ride/noisy... returned them the next day...

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-01, 01:31 AM
ToyotaLexus
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Got Michelin Cross Terrain tires... rough ride/noisy... returned them the next day...

After reading the positive comments by other RX owners,
I decided to try the Michelin Cross Terrain tires. I have already
put on 37000 miles on the stock Bridgestones on my '01 RX300.
(bought in January, and yes, I do drive a lot)

The NTB store matched the Tire Rack's prices and got the
tires in two days. I went in and the new Michelins were installed
& balanced within 25 minutes.

I immediately felt the stiffer ride and extra noise, especially
at 40 to 60mph... The handling is improved slightly, but not
as much as I had hoped for. Comfort is the prime directive for
me...

NTB took the tires back the next day and gave me a full refund.
They did charge me $26 to put the original Bridgestones back on.
(good thing they didn't toss them out yet)

I guess I shouldn't have messed with it to begin with. I've never
had a rain or snow traction problem with the stock Bridgestones,
even in 2-inch slush snow or ice... They are quiet and comfy,
so I went to the local Firestone/Bridgestone shop and got
a brand new set of stock Bridestones. $298 installed....
Now I'm a happy camper again...
Old 11-03-01, 03:00 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

TL, interesting post. My wife's 99 had the Goodyears, and though I'm not in her RX every day, she is and had no complaints. I drove it immediately after I got home the day they were installed and (as posted elsewhere) and did not think there was much difference, noise-wise. The ride was certainly slightly stiffer, but not much.

Possibly the "seat of your pants" is more sensitive than ours (not a bad thing).
Old 11-03-01, 11:05 AM
01VaporBlueRX
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey i think the bridgestones are great tires too. my friend has the integricraps on his rx and they look and are car tires and dont belong on a suv. I would have thought that the michelins would be better than the bridge stones though.
Old 11-19-01, 05:16 PM
billyboy
Rookie

Default New Michelin Cross Terrains

I had four new Michelin Cross Terrains installed today on my 2000 RX. On the way to have them installed, I took with me a small tape recorded to record the level of sound within the car with the radio off. I also took along a friend to notice the ride with the old Goodyears and told him to really pay attention to the ride. After the new tires were installed, we took the same road home. Taped the level of noise in the Rx with the new tires. The conclusion we both arrived at was that there was no noticeable difference in the ride (it did NOT degrade). We both also agreed that there was no increase in road noise either. I have always bragged about my Lexus and it's wonderful ride and believe me I was ready to take the tires back if I lost my great ride. Won't have to do that. Cannot comment on the handling part yet, have to wait to get in some more miles.
Botton line is I don't understand where "ToyotaLexus" is coming from, but them everybody is entitled to there own opinoins.
Old 11-19-01, 07:50 PM
Beaker
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

Gotta agree with Billyboy, took off the Bridgestones 2 weeks ago, and put on the Cross Terrains, and I was not able to tell the difference, except that the new skins have tread on them unlike the old ones, the ride is the same, the sound didn't seem to change, and for the winter months ahead on the Canadian Prairies, the added "grip" I'm sure will be enjoyed.

Did I mention that I drove my wife crazy by going "White Letters" Out??...Hell it's almost a truck and trucks and Musclecars need Raised White Letters....I think it's a law somewhere....

I'll post more when the snow flies.....
Old 11-20-01, 07:33 AM
billyboy
Rookie

Default Raised letters out

My new Cross Terrians ended up with the White Letters on the outside but not by choice. The dealer forgot to ask me, and I never gave it a thought till the car was done. Since they had not removed the blue stuff put over the letters by the Manufacture the letters weren't that noticable. I cleaned it off when I got home and then stood back and took a look. I does sort of "butch up" the truck. I like it.
Old 11-20-01, 09:34 AM
willard west
Pole Position

Default michelin

I upgraded my 2001 AWD RX300 to 17x8 wheels and Michelin Cross terrains shortly after I purchased it, don't remember what it came with, don't think I even looked.

One of the reasons for buying a Lexus is the quiet and comfortable ride. I HAVE NO DOUBT THAT THE +1" UPGRADE STIFFENED THINGS UP A MITE BUT THE SOUND LEVEL IS MORE THAN ACCEPTABLE.
Old 11-20-01, 02:17 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Smile RE: Tread

I suspect that the initial noise of my CTs was due to some unfamiliar pavement - or possibly an artifact of mold flash on the tread. All quiet now, perhaps a slight difference in the kind of tread noise, no noticeable increase in volume.

Incidentally, I rode in a client's new Ford F150 with the Pirelli Scorpions installed. They look good, very square shouldered, very macho - probably good in mud and snow - but pretty noisy at speed.

BTW, I mounted my CTs black out...the RWL were too '70s for me! Nice to have the option tho'...

Last edited by Lil4X; 11-24-01 at 08:30 PM.
Old 11-20-01, 02:35 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

One of the car mags (either C&D or Automobile, don't remember which) tested several SUV tires a few months back on an ML320; they were surprised that the Pirelli Scorpion performed as poorly as it did, but it was definitely towards the bottom of the heap.........just fyi

Wife is happy with the CTs, which is good, cause if momma ain't happy, ain't NOBODY happy!
Old 05-31-02, 06:56 AM
RXKen
Driver

Default Thread back to top

Just bringing this thread back to the top. People still happy with their Cross Terrains? Any recommendations on where to buy these? Does anyone carry them in stock or do you have to go through Tire Rack, etc?
Old 06-01-02, 11:07 AM
FCobra94
Driver

Question

Also, are you guys going with the stock 225's or stepping up to the 235's with the Cross Terraines?

Thanks!
Old 06-01-02, 01:40 PM
RXKen
Driver

Default 235

I'm going with the 235's, enough people have used them without problems and Tire Rack even said it was "OK" to do so. I'll let you know how we make out after the tires are installed, but I don't imagine there will be a problem.