RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Right Rear passenger window wont go down?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-06, 08:46 PM
jkoenig
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Right Rear passenger window wont go down?

Can anyone walk me through taking off the door panel? The dealership said they could here the moter trying to work. They said I would need a new regulator. If so, could I being a novice, change this myself? I hoped I could take the door panel off and try to hit the regulator with a hammer to fix the problem. lol. Help. Justin.
Old 12-26-06, 04:44 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by jkoenig
Can anyone walk me through taking off the door panel? The dealership said they could here the moter trying to work. They said I would need a new regulator. If so, could I being a novice, change this myself? I hoped I could take the door panel off and try to hit the regulator with a hammer to fix the problem. lol. Help. Justin.
Well, I have taken the front driver's side panel off and it is possible to change out the broken piece you are referring to, but it is just a matter of will, time and $$$ for the parts.
Old 12-26-06, 09:47 AM
jkoenig
Driver School Candidate

Where's the best place (web) for parts?
Old 12-28-06, 08:12 AM
jkoenig
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jkoenig
Okay, I just found out that if you dont use the windows a whole lot they will get jammed. I just picked up a 2002 ES300 and both back windows wouldn't work. I took it to a garage and they took the panel off and took a hammer and hit the moter a couple of times and like magic they both started to work again.

But I am having trouble taking off the door panel for the RX300. There was a screw behind the door handle but still thats the area still holding on to the door. Please help before I break something!! Justin.
Old 12-28-06, 08:33 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

On the rear doors, there are 8 (4 screws and 4 clips) from what I can see. The one behind the door handle, you have to pop off the plastic piece to the left of the door lock (on the inside of the vehicle). I had to use a flathead screwdriver hen I removed the front door panel not too long ago.

However, as I recall with the that area behind the door handle, it is a PITA and there is a clip back there. You probably won't break anything, but you just have to get a screwdriver in there until you can move it out of position.
Old 12-28-06, 09:29 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Justin;

Just keep in mind that a stuck closed window is better than a stuck open one.

What I mean is, if you get the window to budge, stop immidiately and raise it up. Make these incremental open and close to get the whole thing to work.

Salim
Old 12-28-06, 10:36 AM
jkoenig
Driver School Candidate

Smile Problem Fixed Thanks !!

Thanks for all the help!! I got the door panel off. I used a hammer to tap on the moter and the window now works perfectly. That saved me $300+. The dealership said I needed a new regulator and maybe a moter.
I'm sure they would have replaced both. Thanks again!!
Old 12-28-06, 02:35 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

It is eay to slam the dealer, but realistically you have not repaired the problem. [The motor is binding ... lack of operation/lube/stuck brushes etc]. It may work for you but then it might get stuck again. You would be very un-happy at the dealership who whould have charged you say $60/hr [rounded up to next half hour] and it fails in few days.

Since it was your time, I guess it is OK.

Salim