RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Coolant DIY

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-08, 06:08 PM
m1tk4
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same thing zoomed in.
Attached Thumbnails Coolant DIY-2nd-drain-bolt-2.jpg  
Old 06-14-08, 06:08 PM
m1tk4
Rookie

The same thing, from right angle.
Attached Thumbnails Coolant DIY-2nd-drain-bolt-3.jpg  
Old 06-15-08, 11:27 AM
m1tk4
Rookie

A couple more notes after getting the coolant replaced today:

1. My guess would be that the front and rear banks in the block are connected very well, since I got close to a gallon out of the drain plug #2 and barely over a quart from drain plug #1. I opened #2, then it took me some time to open #1 since I needed an open wrench to get to it, I could not fit any of my sockets in there.

2. I used 3 pieces of vinyl tubing, 5/16 internal diameter (Home Depot) to connect to all 3 drain plugs, so no spills and you can actually see if your coolant is contamindated (as opposed to collecting it as it drips off the side of your block and the lower cover, along with all the dirt). Mine was pretty red color, clear as baby tears

3. On FWD, plug #2 is the lowest among the 3, so I would strongly advise to open it if you want to get all coolant out. I managed to get out just a little bit over 9 quarts (including the content of the reservoir.

4. You don't have to take the whole lower plastic cover, taking off the rear bolts is enough to get your hand through to connect the tubing to the radiator drain plug and open it. There is NO way you can get to the drain plug #1 from under the vehicle.
Old 12-06-08, 03:53 PM
Nickv
Rookie

Again, I thank you all for doing these diy projects. It is going to save me mucho $$ since I just ended my extended warranty period and will be doing my own service from now on. Can't wait to get my hands dirty!
NIck
Old 12-16-08, 08:06 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I wanted to update the instruction steps a bit as I did my coolant today (overwrote the steps to this DIY). I found that draining the radiator worked like a charm...out came the coolant as usual.

However, in the case of the two drain plugs (I opened both of them), they were somewhat slow to trickle out. So what I did to get it moving was the step outlined in post 9 of this thread (step 5d).
Old 01-06-09, 04:38 PM
rkohou
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I have read the whole think here but can not find any info on how to bleed the system. Any idea where the bleeder is on AWD? Great info BTW.
THNX
Old 01-06-09, 07:22 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rkohou
Ok I have read the whole think here but can not find any info on how to bleed the system. Any idea where the bleeder is on AWD? Great info BTW.
THNX
As far as I know, we don't have a bleeder, only the two plugs on the block and the plug on the radiator. If you see at the bottom of ederny's page here, http://rx300how2.home.comcast.net/~r...nti_freeze.htm it shows the same thing I see in my own manual. I've never found, at least when I did it this last time, even a need to squeeze the upper radiator hose to let out air.
Old 01-06-09, 08:21 PM
blueridge
Pole Position

So on an AWD are there 3 block drain or two?
Old 01-06-09, 08:36 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by blueridge
So on an AWD are there 3 block drain or two?
2 blocks. One on the back of the engine and one on the front.
Old 01-06-09, 08:47 PM
blueridge
Pole Position

Thanks! I found the front and back one, I was trying to find the one of the passenger side. I guess that's 2WD then.
Old 07-11-09, 04:22 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Although I last did my coolant about half a year ago, I plan to do another changeout on Sunday (assuming I can pick up Toyota Red Coolant at one of the dealers open on Sunday). One other note. Redline WaterWetter is now back on my recommended list for a coolant additive, equal with that of Royal Purple Purple Ice. I have neighbors who also DIY and have contacts with a few other friends around here who have used the product going back at least a year and have not reported an issue with film accumulating in their coolant reservoir, which was a previous issue I had. I plan to use WaterWetter tomorrow, too. The Purple Ice has handled well with no problems either.

My reason for doing this, the coolant changeout, is the extreme heat we have had down here, and I wanted as an experiment to notice what differences would exist.
Attached Thumbnails Coolant DIY-purpleicewaterwetter.jpg  

Last edited by Lexmex; 07-12-09 at 01:02 PM.
Old 07-11-09, 08:29 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

So if mine is pretty clean and I'm lazy which block plug do I open to get most of the coolant out?
Old 07-12-09, 11:52 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by carguy07
So if mine is pretty clean and I'm lazy which block plug do I open to get most of the coolant out?
Depends.

Last time, I got more out of the rear plug, but this time I got more out of the front, even though each time I did the front first and the rear second.
Old 07-12-09, 12:08 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Let's take another look at the coolant drain that I did today.

I've adjusted a few things from the last time I did it about 7 months ago and because it is somewhat different from what I did in Mexico.

A lot of you do 50% water/50% coolant. I am a bit different going more water than coolant.

Here we have 1 gallon or 3.785 liters of Toyota Red Coolant (about $21 down here at Toyota).

2 gallons (3.785 liters each gallon) of distilled water that I have poured into old jugs.

1 bottle of Redline WaterWetter, that's .355 ml (about $9 at Pep Boys).

Total coolant capacity is 9 liters.

Thus, if we count the WaterWetter with the coolant, that will be 4.140 liters or 46%, while the water will be 5.40 liters or 54%.

As many of you recall, when I lived in Mexico I used a straight 100% coolant + coolant additive due to issues with water at higher altitude.

I recommend driving the vehicle around for about 15 minutes, letting the vehicle cool (usually about an hour) and then doing the coolant drain.
Attached Thumbnails Coolant DIY-img_0699.jpg  

Last edited by Lexmex; 07-12-09 at 01:06 PM.
Old 07-12-09, 12:11 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Now, let's start with the radiator drain plug. One will need to take the 10 bolts off the bottom of the plastic shielding underneath the front of the vehicle. I have different bolts of different sizes, but as I recall it is about a 3/8th or 10mm bolt for each of these. A ratchet wrench works well for this.
Attached Thumbnails Coolant DIY-img_0643.jpg   Coolant DIY-img_0644.jpg   Coolant DIY-img_0698.jpg  

Quick Reply: Coolant DIY