RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Question regarding parts for struts and mounts repair!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-06, 09:18 AM
mrekid
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question regarding parts for struts and mounts repair!

Ok, I am going to replace my own struts and mounts as my local shop wants in the vicinity of $1500 to do the job I can do for about $700. I am planning on using the KYB mounts, as I will be putting the KYB shocks as well.

My question is in the front mounts do I need to replace the strut bearing, or do I just replace the mount and shock? Also are the rubber bushings at the top and bottom of the compression spring included when I buy a new mount or do I have to buy those separately? From what I understand these bushing are the reason these mounts go bad so I want to make sure I get all the necessary parts.

Secondly is there a tendency for the rear mounts to go out? I figure for an extra $130 bucks I can replace the rears now while I have the shock and spring out.

Finally are there any differences between the mounts for a late model year 98 and a 99? I just want to make sure I order the parts right the first time.
Old 11-17-06, 02:20 PM
Fern
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Your questions create the perception that your a novice DIY, the strut "bearings" your refering to are the strut mounts, and yes, they are sold separately.

I would suggest you have a competent mechanic or experienced DIYer do the work to avoid injuries as strut and spring installs can be dangerous.

Just looking out for the welfare of another fellow CLer
Old 11-17-06, 02:38 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Those rubber bushings are separate, and they are different for AWD and FWD versions for the rears.

I have to agree with Fern, this thing ain't an easy DIY and I would let a mechanic do it. If you were down here, my uncle could do it for a ton cheaper.
Old 11-18-06, 11:50 AM
mrekid
Driver School Candidate

I appreciate your concern, however just because I have not had the opportunity to work on the suspension of vehicle does not mean that I am a novice in the DIY department. In fact the reason I asked the questions is that I am looking to those on this forum who do have experience with this particular process, not to be talked out of the job. I have been looking into what I consider to be a safer tool to deal with the compression spring, which should drastically reduce the probability of an issue. Thank you for your concern but I am doing the job so the best way to reduce the chance of a problem is by providing guidance rather than trying to dissuade me from the project. I ordered all four shocks and front and rear mounts yesterday is there anything else I should get on order now before I am in the midst of the job?
Thanks for your help.
Old 11-18-06, 05:25 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mrekid
I appreciate your concern, however just because I have not had the opportunity to work on the suspension of vehicle does not mean that I am a novice in the DIY department. In fact the reason I asked the questions is that I am looking to those on this forum who do have experience with this particular process, not to be talked out of the job. I have been looking into what I consider to be a safer tool to deal with the compression spring, which should drastically reduce the probability of an issue. Thank you for your concern but I am doing the job so the best way to reduce the chance of a problem is by providing guidance rather than trying to dissuade me from the project. I ordered all four shocks and front and rear mounts yesterday is there anything else I should get on order now before I am in the midst of the job?
Thanks for your help.
Fair enough.

The upper and lower rubber supports you will need and those do come separately. To date, I have only changed my lower supports. With those, best to glue them in to place when you do it.

As long as you have all the tools, from recollection when we were doing everything, there is nothing else you should need than what you already have.
Old 11-19-06, 08:00 AM
mrekid
Driver School Candidate

Sorry to be so harsh in my last post! I have been looking around on the net for the upper and lower spring insulator and I have not found a source. Can I just reuse the ones I have now; is this something I can pick up locally in the Denver metro area or am I doomed to mail order?
Old 11-19-06, 08:30 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mrekid
Sorry to be so harsh in my last post! I have been looking around on the net for the upper and lower spring insulator and I have not found a source. Can I just reuse the ones I have now; is this something I can pick up locally in the Denver metro area or am I doomed to mail order?
Well, the local Lexus dealers do have it, but expensive, I think about $60 USD for fronts and backs, each, but my memory is a little weak on that one. Someone else here can probably suggest a low price alternative.

As far as reusing it, I wouldn't do it. These insulators/supports can get eaten up, especially the lower ones and since you are taking everything off, only makes sense to replace them.

I have been one of the few people (I am pretty sure), who will with his uncle compress the springs just to replace the lower rubber supports as opposed to changing out shocks or adding lower springs (which I no doubt will do one day).
Old 11-20-06, 10:48 AM
mrekid
Driver School Candidate

So after an exhaustive search I can not find any rx300 upper and lower insulators on the web but I can find insulators for the 2001 Toyota highlander 4wd. From what I understand these vehicles are built on the same platform and several parts are interchangeable. Does anyone know about the spring insulators?