RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

car is dying out

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-06, 01:26 AM
yoon
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car is dying out

anyone have any idea on why my car could be dying out? it starts up fine but after a split second, the engine shuts off and it acts like the key is turned on acc mode. its been doing it off and on for a couple of days now, and tonight it took me about 6 tries before i could actually go anywhere
Old 11-15-06, 08:52 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

I suspect cold idle problem ... assuming once it warms up every thing is functional.

I would advise to get a sensor status dump via obd port. For this informatin to be meaningful, I would advise against ecu reset by disconnecting the battery.

Salim
Old 11-15-06, 09:19 PM
justfixit
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds like it is time to clean the idle air control valve. Early symptoms of this condition are more noticeable on cold startup. However as time goes on it will do it hot or cold and will only start if you press gas pedal while starting.
Remove air tube from throttle body and you will find an air passage visible in the right side throttle blade port. Quick fix is to spray some carb cleaner into this port and allow to sit for a couple minutes and then repeat a couple of time. Best fix is to disassemble control valve and clean thoroughly.
Old 11-16-06, 07:03 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by yoon
anyone have any idea on why my car could be dying out? it starts up fine but after a split second, the engine shuts off and it acts like the key is turned on acc mode. its been doing it off and on for a couple of days now, and tonight it took me about 6 tries before i could actually go anywhere
Keep me informed on the symptoms as they are occuring, how often, when they are occurring should they repeat.
Old 11-21-06, 02:40 PM
Jubane
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by justfixit
Sounds like it is time to clean the idle air control valve. Early symptoms of this condition are more noticeable on cold startup. However as time goes on it will do it hot or cold and will only start if you press gas pedal while starting.
Remove air tube from throttle body and you will find an air passage visible in the right side throttle blade port. Quick fix is to spray some carb cleaner into this port and allow to sit for a couple minutes and then repeat a couple of time. Best fix is to disassemble control valve and clean thoroughly.
I am starting to have this problem now and then and am noticing its on cold days. I have to give it a bit of gas to get the engine started. Could you post a picture of the area your talking about to clean. THANKS
Old 11-21-06, 02:51 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Jubane
I am starting to have this problem now and then and am noticing its on cold days. I have to give it a bit of gas to get the engine started. Could you post a picture of the area your talking about to clean. THANKS
This is where that hole is.
Attached Thumbnails car is dying out-spraythrottlebody.jpg  
Old 11-22-06, 12:29 PM
hitthepin
Driver

Originally Posted by Lexmex
This is where that hole is.
I cleaned out my IACV, but didn't spray any cleaner into the throddle body. Does this help?
Old 11-22-06, 12:39 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by hitthepin
I cleaned out my IACV, but didn't spray any cleaner into the throddle body. Does this help?
Oh, we did that, too.

Just don't spray too much in there. Basically shoot it in for about 5 seconds turn on vehicle (will need a second person and step on gas hard) and repeat 2 more times.

I then like to spray a mist of water in there to clean anything out.

Do this when the engine is hot after driving it.

I plan to get some bg44k cleaner down here to clean mine out. Seafoam is another, but I hate having to play around with spark plugs and removing them.
Attached Thumbnails car is dying out-sprayiacv.jpg  
Old 11-22-06, 01:08 PM
hitthepin
Driver

Oh, we did that, too.

Just don't spray too much in there. Basically shoot it in for about 5 seconds turn on vehicle (will need a second person and step on gas hard) and repeat 2 more times.

I then like to spray a mist of water in there to clean anything out.

Do this when the engine is hot after driving it.

I plan to get some bg44k cleaner down here to clean mine out. Seafoam is another, but I hate having to play around with spark plugs and removing them.
When I cleaned my IACV it solved the stalling problem. However do you think spraying directly into the throddle body help with acceleration? Might be my imagination, but I felt the car has lost a little pep.

I've been changing oil with Mobil 1 Syn and K&N oil fitlers pretty much from new. Car only had 57K on it. Hate to think its the dreaded oil gel issue.

Oh and the bg44k, isn't that just a gas additive? Why would one need to deal with the spark plugs to use it?

Last edited by hitthepin; 11-22-06 at 01:13 PM.
Old 11-22-06, 01:14 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

When I cleaned my IACV it solved the stalling problem. However do you think spraying directly into the throddle body help with acceleration? Might be my imagination, but I felt the car has lost a little pep.

I've been changing oil with Mobil 1 Syn and K&N oil fitlers pretty much from new. Car only had 57K on it. Hate to think its the dreaded oil gel issue.
A lot of things can lead to lost acceleration, including the weather and driving habits. That is why I pull the EFI fuse and batter cables often.

My experience with using carb cleaner in the throttle body shows a little improvement but not much. However, given the PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) Valve on the other side of the throttle body, which I also clean, so much oil gunk gets shot into the intake track to be burned during combustion, but the rest sticks to inside of the intake plenum.

I wouldn't worry about oil gel issues too much.

Describe to me more about your acceleration issue, when you first started noticing it.
Old 11-22-06, 01:32 PM
hitthepin
Driver

A lot of things can lead to lost acceleration, including the weather and driving habits. That is why I pull the EFI fuse and batter cables often.

My experience with using carb cleaner in the throttle body shows a little improvement but not much. However, given the PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) Valve on the other side of the throttle body, which I also clean, so much oil gunk gets shot into the intake track to be burned during combustion, but the rest sticks to inside of the intake plenum.

I wouldn't worry about oil gel issues too much.

Describe to me more about your acceleration issue, when you first started noticing it.
hmmm... hard to put my finger on it cause its my wifes car and I don't drive it everyday. The car was never really a rocket, but I feel ever since the IACV issue it has lost some power(very little).

Feel ever so slightly weaker using AC(as compared to before) and going up hill it'll lags a bit where I want to say it didn't when newer. Just feel it lost a second or so off the line, not to assume its a race car or anything of the sort.

Since taking apart the IACV and cleaning it, its starts up nicely again and idols just as smooth as it ever did. Again, for lack of a better term, it just doesn't feel as peppy.

I'm going to look into the PCV valve though. I was meaning to change it, but forgot all about it working on the IACV and changing brakes. So thanks for the reminder.

I can look it up, but you wouldn't have a part number off top of your head for an 02' RX would ya?
Old 11-22-06, 01:53 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

hmmm... hard to put my finger on it cause its my wifes car and I don't drive it everyday. The car was never really a rocket, but I feel ever since the IACV issue it has lost some power(very little).

Feel ever so slightly weaker using AC(as compared to before) and going up hill it'll lags a bit where I want to say it didn't when newer. Just feel it lost a second or so off the line, not to assume its a race car or anything of the sort.

Since taking apart the IACV and cleaning it, its starts up nicely again and idols just as smooth as it ever did. Again, for lack of a better term, it just doesn't feel as peppy.

I'm going to look into the PCV valve though. I was meaning to change it, but forgot all about it working on the IACV and changing brakes. So thanks for the reminder.

I can look it up, but you wouldn't have a part number off top of your head for an 02' RX would ya?
Don't have that part number offhand

What are your RPMs when in park and when in D when stopped?

I clean off my MAF weekly with computer keyboard cleaner.

How is your air filter looking?

I would also run a bottle of Techron through the system.
Old 11-22-06, 02:13 PM
hitthepin
Driver

Don't have that part number offhand

What are your RPMs when in park and when in D when stopped?

I clean off my MAF weekly with computer keyboard cleaner.

How is your air filter looking?

I would also run a bottle of Techron through the system.
RPM's are right around 1K in park. Just a little below that in Drive when stopped after the car has been warmed.

Air filter is good. At the moment I'm running the TRD high performance air filter. Figured why not give it a shot, but do have regular toyota paper filter as backup.

Ran a bottle of Techron fuel injection cleaner through the gas tank already too.

MAF sensor? Car acronym novice here.. more info please.

My driving conditions don't change very much as I'm in SoCal so there isn't severe temp changes or hard weather. Again, it could be my imagination but I'd like to keep the car in tip top condition.
Old 11-22-06, 02:28 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

RPM's are right around 1K in park. Just a little below that in Drive when stopped after the car has been warmed.

Air filter is good. At the moment I'm running the TRD high performance air filter. Figured why not give it a shot, but do have regular toyota paper filter as backup.

Ran a bottle of Techron fuel injection cleaner through the gas tank already too.

MAF sensor? Car acronym novice here.. more info please.

My driving conditions don't change very much as I'm in SoCal so there isn't severe temp changes or hard weather. Again, it could be my imagination but I'd like to keep the car in tip top condition.
Ah yes, the MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor. There this little black square top sits on my air intake. Take it off and spray the entire piece including inside the two holes (will show in next picture) and especially the red diode that can get accumulation on it.
Attached Thumbnails car is dying out-img_1677.jpg  
Old 11-22-06, 02:36 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Actually, this is the original thread, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=203271

Quick Reply: car is dying out