RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Does anyone have any recommendations for when I change the struts and mounts

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-06, 09:20 PM
mrekid
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone have any recommendations for when I change the struts and mounts

I am planning on changing the struts and front mounts on my 99 rx300 in the next couple of weeks. I think I am going to buy a set of the KYB GR-2 struts and I am not sure about the make of the mounts (suggestions?). Anyway I also plan to rent a tool to compress the suspension springs and struts but I don't have experience with this process so if you do and would like to share I am sure I could use the help.
Old 11-15-06, 09:18 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

I am an avid DIY.

But ...

One needs to look at the risk and the savings.

After the strut change, I would need an alignment check [not necessary, but one of the things I would do.] For this I have no choice but to go to a shop.

Risk .. [If you do undertake this task make sure there is some one around to call for help if things go wrong ... AT MINIMUM.]

Compressed springs, store tremendous amout of energy and any accident can mean loss of limb if not life.

Lets say the rental cost is $10. [the tools must be in perfect condition .. do not get any thing with worn threads or rounded bolt heads]. The labor chage for changing two struts will be say 2hrs.
Assuming your afternoon cost to you is $0, I think we are talking of a saving of $80-$150.

Is it worth it ... When I look at my obligations, my math tells me ... Not this one.

Salim
Old 11-15-06, 10:48 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

This is no easy DIY task. My uncle is mechanic, has the tools and we have changed out the rubber low supports and it is a huge PITA even with the right tools. Takes forever.

Thus, I agree with Salim.
Old 11-15-06, 12:19 PM
mrekid
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The reason I was assuming the savings is in the cost of the shocks themselves. I have found a couple places where I can get a complete set of the KYB Gr-2's for $330 plus $50 shipping. It seems that these sruts sell for around $130 apiece on the low end and a shop would likley get me for another 10-20% on the top so the difference would be a couple hundred bucks in the parts and close to that in labor. I do have alot of experience working on cars but as I said I have never performed this job and you raise a very valid concern (i like my limbs). Has anyone had luck providing there own parts to a mechanic, or should I just suck it up and pay?
Old 11-15-06, 01:19 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by mrekid
The reason I was assuming the savings is in the cost of the shocks themselves. I have found a couple places where I can get a complete set of the KYB Gr-2's for $330 plus $50 shipping. It seems that these sruts sell for around $130 apiece on the low end and a shop would likley get me for another 10-20% on the top so the difference would be a couple hundred bucks in the parts and close to that in labor. I do have alot of experience working on cars but as I said I have never performed this job and you raise a very valid concern (i like my limbs). Has anyone had luck providing there own parts to a mechanic, or should I just suck it up and pay?
Well, I would pay a mechanic. The whole thing is not rocket science, but just takes a while to do with the springs and getting everything off. Keep in shocks/struts are one of the more durable items, not like they need changing every year.
Old 11-15-06, 01:26 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

only dealerships make a fuss about installing non-oem stuff. Independants should have no problem installing any part that you provide. Usually they will push the line they carry. They also may not give you warranty on their work as the product is not theirs. So worst case you will have to pay again for labor.

Sorry, I did not mean to scare you off (my last post) but do realize the risk. The last spring compression job I remember being performed in front of me, did go bad. No body got hurt, but the spring just slowly spiraled its way out of the special tool. It was no fun for the mechanic to compress it without the weight of the car on it.

Salim