RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Removing the mudflaps...

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-06, 04:31 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Removing the mudflaps...

I looked at them today and it should be easy as it's just a few screws holding them on, any one know the size of the hex bolts?

Also, has anyone ever removed the lower cladding from the doors? The door paint obviously extends under the cladding but are there holes in the door for attachment?

I've removed my roof rack, don't have that little wing on the top of the tailgate and the mudflaps are on the endangered species list as well. Now I'm thinking of removing the cladding for an even cleaner look.

Anyone done it?
Old 10-22-06, 05:54 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Carver
I looked at them today and it should be easy as it's just a few screws holding them on, any one know the size of the hex bolts?

Also, has anyone ever removed the lower cladding from the doors? The door paint obviously extends under the cladding but are there holes in the door for attachment?

I've removed my roof rack, don't have that little wing on the top of the tailgate and the mudflaps are on the endangered species list as well. Now I'm thinking of removing the cladding for an even cleaner look.

Anyone done it?
I have to give my hats off to TunedRX300 who came up with this and I did this later on upon his suggestion. Gives me a little better aerodynamics and I like the look. Will show some photos in the next few replies.

I don't remember the size of those hex bolts offhand.

The paint underneath is exactly the same underneath. So if you plan to paint the entire lower portion one color, like all black, make sure you remove the mudflaps first.

I don't think I would remove the cladding. I get the idea it would look strange. I removed the cladding-ettes. Those tiny vertical pieces in front of the rear tires and it looks bad when they are briefly removed (as in painting)
Old 10-22-06, 05:56 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Here is a view of the rear wheel area without mudflaps.
Attached Thumbnails Removing the mudflaps...-nomudflap2.jpg  
Old 10-22-06, 05:58 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

From the front wheel area.
Attached Thumbnails Removing the mudflaps...-nomudflap1.jpg  
Old 10-22-06, 06:20 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Oh, those flaps are history. I'm getting them off there tomorrow! Thanks Lexmex, I appreciate your input!
Old 10-22-06, 07:59 PM
tcheung87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Anyone done it?
I removed my roof racks as well but I kept my mudflaps and wing, I'm surprised you don't like the look of the wing. I couldn't drive my RX without it heh.

-tc
Old 10-22-06, 09:05 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If I remember it correctly, it is 5mm Allen wrench. See instruction at the end of Ederny's page http://rx300how2.home.comcast.net/side_markers.htm
Old 10-23-06, 07:17 AM
anulex
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tcheung87
I removed my roof racks as well but I kept my mudflaps and wing, I'm surprised you don't like the look of the wing. I couldn't drive my RX without it heh.

-tc
I removed my roof racks too. And kept mudflaps and wing also. IMHO. The RX300. Fugly without them. If the mudflaps were not bodycolored, i could perhaps understand the reason for their removal. But i love the look of my mudflaps
Old 10-23-06, 08:17 AM
tcheung87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Haha, "fugly"... The wing really sets it off as opposed to a minivan.
Old 10-23-06, 09:16 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

LOL, beauty is in the eye of the beholder...fugly indeed! To my eyes the wing, flaps and roof rack appear "stuck on" the car kind of like a Mr. Potato Head with wheels.
Old 10-23-06, 10:18 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by anulex
I removed my roof racks too. And kept mudflaps and wing also. IMHO. The RX300. Fugly without them. If the mudflaps were not bodycolored, i could perhaps understand the reason for their removal. But i love the look of my mudflaps
Mud flaps also cut paint underneath. If you don't believe me, remove front ones and see for yourself.
Also all Lexus sedans came without mud flaps, I doubt anyone think Lexus sedans are ugly because of lack of mud flaps. If you think about it, it is sedans with lower center of gravity that needs more protection from splashes.
Old 10-23-06, 01:16 PM
yoon
Driver

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=236200 heres a picture of mine.. looks way better in my opinion.
Old 10-23-06, 04:33 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by yoon
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=236200 heres a picture of mine.. looks way better in my opinion.
Right you are, looks great with them off, much cleaner. Looking at your car I can see the flaps actually distract from the impact of the big wheels and tires, even the two tone looks cleaner with them gone.

I just got back from Lowes tool department and the hex head is 4mm on the flap screw.
Old 10-23-06, 07:02 PM
anulex
Pole Position

Originally Posted by yoon
u r correct your looks good. here is mine with mud flaps. i need them so the side of my rx does not get dirty with ever puddle and small turn.
Attached Thumbnails Removing the mudflaps...-small-rx300-side.jpg  
Old 10-24-06, 03:13 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

anulex, very nice look with the unicolor, usually I like the roof racks but that's nice, as are the wheels!

Quick Reply: Removing the mudflaps...