RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

More Tranny Info

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-06, 11:08 AM
Jugg_head
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More Tranny Info

For the folks that have had tranny issues, can you explain the symptoms prior to failure ? i.e. sudden failure, or harsh shifting.

Thanks
Old 09-26-06, 11:54 AM
Fern
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My car exibited torque converter shudder. Had the fluid drained and filled and it went away. About 50,000 km later the car started jerking when shifted from park to drive or park to reverse or reverse to drive, etc...

Diagnosed by tech as failed thrust washer in transmission.

Also heard of failed reverse and 4th gear bearings and planetary gear failures...

Regardless of the part, I can tell you from personal experience, they are all pretty costly. In my case the thrust washers weren't expensive, but if your opening up the trani, you might as well go for the overhaul... $3800 CAD later I can say it drives like a dream.

Looking forward to another 140,000km with drain and fill done at local Toyota dealership every 30,000km (every year) along with transfer case service and rear differential.

Powertrain maintenance is easier to keep track if you just set your mind on having it done once a year (provided you don't drive 70,000k /year
Old 09-26-06, 12:23 PM
wing0
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Fern
My car exibited torque converter shudder. Had the fluid drained and filled and it went away. About 50,000 km later the car started jerking when shifted from park to drive or park to reverse or reverse to drive, etc...

Diagnosed by tech as failed thrust washer in transmission.

Also heard of failed reverse and 4th gear bearings and planetary gear failures...

Regardless of the part, I can tell you from personal experience, they are all pretty costly. In my case the thrust washers weren't expensive, but if your opening up the trani, you might as well go for the overhaul... $3800 CAD later I can say it drives like a dream.

Looking forward to another 140,000km with drain and fill done at local Toyota dealership every 30,000km (every year) along with transfer case service and rear differential.

Powertrain maintenance is easier to keep track if you just set your mind on having it done once a year (provided you don't drive 70,000k /year
I'm at 37000km and I've always noticed the jerk shifting from P to D when the car is not warmed up. This does not occur when the car is warmed up tho. Usually happen in the morning going to work and coming back home when the car has been sitting outside for a while.
Is this normal now?
Old 09-26-06, 12:37 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by wing0
I'm at 37000km and I've always noticed the jerk shifting from P to D when the car is not warmed up. This does not occur when the car is warmed up tho. Usually happen in the morning going to work and coming back home when the car has been sitting outside for a while.
Is this normal now?
Based on my experience of RX and all other auto trans cars, on slopes, you get a jerk moving out of park as well as a softer but pronounced jerk when engine is idling high (cold start).

Salim
Old 09-26-06, 01:54 PM
Fern
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by wing0
Is this normal now?
Yes this is perfect normal since your rpm probably read 1300- 1600 and the jerk effect you describe is similar to reving the car before putting it in gear.

I was refereing to the same effect even when engine was hot.
Take the same effect you get when cold and at fast idle and multiply it by 3 and thats what I was getting when engine was hot... absolutely not normal hence my fears of greater damage and the repair.

Pay attention to Salim's comments on the enclined jerk effect from trani which is also normal. Don't misinterpret that for trani problems, its not.
Old 09-26-06, 02:35 PM
JAB
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

My first sign was one day when I shifted into reverse and nothing happened for 10 or 20 seconds, then it engaged. Then, a few thousand miles later (at 116K) I became aware that the engine was revving disproportionate to vehicle speed, i.e. the transmission was slipping. I stopped, shut off the engine, restarted, and all was fine for a few miles, but then the symptom returned. In the next 40 miles the intervals became progressively shorter until finally nothing I could do would make the vehicle move. Remanufactured transmission installed, at my expense.
Old 09-26-06, 02:35 PM
Jugg_head
Driver

Well, so far so good, I have none of those symptoms. I purchased an 01 with 58K (kilometers) on it. Anyone got a rough estimate on cost of a tranny flush and filter change for these trucks ? I read the DIY on the board and I came to the conclusion I am lazy.
Old 09-26-06, 03:03 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Jugg_head
Well, so far so good, I have none of those symptoms. I purchased an 01 with 58K (kilometers) on it. Anyone got a rough estimate on cost of a tranny flush and filter change for these trucks ? I read the DIY on the board and I came to the conclusion I am lazy.
I think if I remember when I did at a Lexus dealer about 3 years ago, it was about $125 USD for the flush alone. However, those prices have probably changed. Not all Lexus dealers will do it. If you hav 58000KM (a little under 35K miles), I would see at the Lexus dealer if they have the service history, as probably about two times or so there should have been a drain and fill of the tranny fluid.
Old 09-27-06, 03:53 AM
Jugg_head
Driver

I'll have to check with the local Lexus dealer. Wow, every 30K, thats less than my oil change interval just kidding.

I looked at the dip stick and the tanny fluid is crystal clear, so I will guess it has been done at least recently.
Old 09-27-06, 04:26 AM
Fern
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jugg_head
I'll have to check with the local Lexus dealer. Wow, every 30K, thats less than my oil change interval just kidding.

I looked at the dip stick and the tanny fluid is crystal clear, so I will guess it has been done at least recently.
Jug Head,

check your owner's manual, chances are you will see the transmission service interval to be 30000-34000km.

Like I said, easier to to remember to do the trani, tansf case and rear diff once a year. I would go to Toyota dealer (since they use same fluids) and you will get a break on labour.
The entire project should take 1 hour +fluids... Pretty cheap if you consider having it documented and peice of mind later on.
Old 09-27-06, 06:10 AM
Jugg_head
Driver

I checked out my Lexus Owners Manual and it indicates:

Replace Automatic Transmission Fluid Every 96 months or 96,000km's
Replace Differential Fluid every 24 months or 32,000km's
Replace Transfer Case fluid every 24 months or 24,000km's

Of course I will follow these recomendations, but which fluid is the most important ? i.e. Which area is failing the most ?