RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

RX300 trans won't shift into OD

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-06, 07:26 AM
pikebob
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question RX300 trans won't shift into OD

I just dropped off my RX and they (Lex Dlr) said the trans wont shift into overdrive. The only repair & diagnosis they do is replace the trans for $5300!!

Anyone have any other ideas?
Old 08-07-06, 10:23 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

With every post like this, I am getting more convinced that any dealer Lexus USA, does not want to open up transmission to fix the failing part so the "replace the trans" is the standard answer.

Obviously the $$$$ repair bill is the bad news, but if any consolation is in getitng a factory rebuilt trans.

Salim
Old 08-07-06, 11:18 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

why not go to Autozone and get a CEL code read out. Salim is right, obviously the transmission is still operational to a large extend, just needs to find the failing part (perhaps a temperature sensor, shift solenoid?) and replace it.
Old 08-07-06, 12:32 PM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How many miles are on this 2000 RX300 ?

Does it have AWD ?

Are you aware or have any transmission fluid maintenance history ?

Is this RX new to the current owner ?
Old 08-07-06, 02:43 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Welcome to CL, Bob Thanks for your post! As you see, there's lots of good advice on tap right here!

Seems a pretty drastic solution to what sounds like a minor problem. If there are other signs of damage, metal turnings in the pan, grit, burnt or contimainated transmission fluid, vague shifting, or other measurements taken on a test drive or in the service bya, then OK, replace the tranny - its troubles are just beginning. But replacing a trainsmission is a very expensive undertaking - you might want to get a second opinion from another dealer or an independent transmission shop.
Old 08-07-06, 03:51 PM
pikebob
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Tammy
How many miles are on this 2000 RX300 ?

Does it have AWD ?

Are you aware or have any transmission fluid maintenance history ?

Is this RX new to the current owner ?
thanks everyone....I bought the RX at 18,000 mi and it has 142,000 on it now. I've maintained it exactly by the book.....tomorrow it goes to my local mechanic for his call....will let you know

BTW...the complete extent of the diagnosis was that of the service rep test driving it....

Lexus repair service has dropped off my pedistal
Old 08-07-06, 04:24 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by pikebob
thanks everyone....I bought the RX at 18,000 mi and it has 142,000 on it now. I've maintained it exactly by the book.....tomorrow it goes to my local mechanic for his call....will let you know

BTW...the complete extent of the diagnosis was that of the service rep test driving it....

Lexus repair service has dropped off my pedistal
My view point is more philosophical on this subject..

Auto trans is the most complicated piece of a vehicle. Not every shop [Lexus dealership included] is equipped to make transmission repairs. If your customer has deep(er) pocket and your success is based on NO-COMPLAINTS after repairs then the replacement is the only logical answer. Now on the other hand if you had a trianed crew and facility you may give your customer the choice that you will open it up and fix it and charge for labor and parts.

It will be a shame if your mechanic finds out that it was a linkage problem or a connector issue. If it is an internal problem, then at least I see the Lexus dealership point of view. [not necessarily agree with them but at least understand where they are coming from].

Salim
Old 08-07-06, 04:51 PM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There's a design feature of Toyota transmissions that might be getting in the way here.
The trans won't shift into overdrive until the fluid warms up to a certain temperature. This "feature" is most noticable in the winter, when you try to drive 55 while everything is still cold. I'm not sure how that works, but your problem could be as simple as a bad trans fluid temp sensor.
If you happen to go back to a Lexus dealer about this problem, ask them about this theory. I know you can read the trans fluid temp through the OBD II port with Toyota's scan tool on drivetrains with a dipstick-free transmission (like the GX). It's a long story, but on sealed transmissions you need to know the temp to check the fluid level.
Old 08-07-06, 05:23 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

First, when I race my RX at the track, the PWR button goes and the Overdrive button is in the off position. I did a lot of runs to see there was an effect. I usually let it warm up for at least 3 to 4 minutes (depending on the temperature gauge) before I let'er rip. There is a definite difference.

ILooking through the manual, it could be something as simple as the O/D sensor wire coming loose. I really cannot tell without more information.

If there is a Check Engine Light, would love to have the code to help you out.
Old 08-08-06, 08:27 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If it's all wheel drive and "according to the book" you have never serviced the transmission fluid, the damage may be irreparable.

The service schedule is dependant on if you tow or not. (This is incorrect, in my humble opinion. Other variables do apply)

The dipstick label states you never have to change the fluid. This is incorrect also.

I drain and fill mine every 10 thousand miles ... But I drive in extreme heat condictions
Old 08-08-06, 09:14 AM
jonesdl
Driver School Candidate

I also have 2000 rx 300 that will not shift into overdrive with 100000 miles on it I have been told everything from new transmission to replacing the knock sensors there is also a pinging noise in the motor I will take any suggestions can u override knock sensors without any damage to the motor?
Old 08-08-06, 09:16 AM
jonesdl
Driver School Candidate

Default transmission pro

2000 rx 300 with 100000 miles will not shift into overdrive been told everything form new transmission to replace knock sensors also have a pinging noise in motor any advise?
Old 09-06-06, 12:13 PM
dhg2496
Driver School Candidate

Did anyone find a solution to this problem?

I had a similar problem and after clearing the codes from the ECU it started to shift into OD again. The codes I had were P0300, P0301, P0303, P0125, and another code for Mass Air Meter problem (sorry forgot the code number). Dealer claimed that the P0125, isufficient coolant temp, was telling the computer to run in a higher gear and not shift to over drive.

So dealer suggested I change the thermostat. I'm just wondering if there is a different sensor to check transmission fluid temp that needs to be replaced instead.
Old 09-06-06, 07:22 PM
Fern
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dhg2496
Dealer claimed that the P0125, isufficient coolant temp, was telling the computer to run in a higher gear and not shift to over drive.

So dealer suggested I change the thermostat.
Where is the guage resting at after you have been driving for a while.

Should be a bit below middle of the temperature scale on the guage.

If its lower, I also would suspect Tstat.
Old 09-07-06, 03:50 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by dhg2496
Did anyone find a solution to this problem?

I had a similar problem and after clearing the codes from the ECU it started to shift into OD again. The codes I had were P0300, P0301, P0303, P0125, and another code for Mass Air Meter problem (sorry forgot the code number). Dealer claimed that the P0125, isufficient coolant temp, was telling the computer to run in a higher gear and not shift to over drive.

So dealer suggested I change the thermostat. I'm just wondering if there is a different sensor to check transmission fluid temp that needs to be replaced instead.

P0300 occurs with random/multiple cylinder misfiring, the P0301 is cylinder 1 (far left on the rear facing the engine), P0303 (center rear).

I had one of these once and it was a bad ignition coil. It can also be related to the injectors (bad or clogged) and their is a virtual laundry list (fuel line pressure, valve clearance, valve timing, MAF (probably needs cleaning), engine coolant temp sensor (that P0125 code), short in a wire, ECM).

A bad iginition coil is very noticeable with the engine performance.

Quick Reply: RX300 trans won't shift into OD