RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Not the smoothest ride

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-06, 12:07 AM
Keksters
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not the smoothest ride

I have a 99 rx-clean and well maintained. The problem is I can feel every bump,little or big no matter how fast or slow I drive. I had the shocks checked-all good. It sound like there's something loose under the car-No wheel alignment needed, I have new tires. Is this common-maybe my expectations are too high. Any similiar testimonies??
Old 08-04-06, 01:19 AM
trent
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would say replace your shocks, or go with a different set of tires, what size /brand tires do you have?
Old 08-04-06, 04:45 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Are the cold tire pressures at 30 psi?

Your struts may need addressing. With 80 thousand miles, eight years...it's time.
How were the struts checked?

Last edited by Tammy; 08-04-06 at 04:48 AM.
Old 08-04-06, 07:59 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by Keksters
I have a 99 rx-clean and well maintained. The problem is I can feel every bump,little or big no matter how fast or slow I drive. I had the shocks checked-all good. It sound like there's something loose under the car-No wheel alignment needed, I have new tires. Is this common-maybe my expectations are too high. Any similiar testimonies??
Ride comfort is controlled by, tires (+ tire pressure), size of wheels, springs, shocks [spring + shock = struts], bushings, links/attachements and load.

{stearing is altogether a differet issue although it has a great impact on feel}

If you hear rattle ... something is loose .. have that investigated first. Somehting could be wrong with the linkages/attachements ... like loose nut+bolts. Bushing [under umbrella of linakges] can be worn out.

With time the shocks get worn out .... which USUALLY manifests itself by too springy ride ... you bounce too much. Very seldom does the shock lock-up where the cab starts following the road surface.... too rigid.

All this would need investigation with the RX on the lift and large screwdrivers to get leverage to move the cab or the wheels, once off the ground.

Also what are you comparing with? The wear usually is over time and ppl dont notice it.

Salim
Old 08-04-06, 08:07 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I have my suspects on where noise on the RX300 comes from when something is loose, but would like to know more specifically about what you are hearing or feeling.
Old 08-04-06, 10:36 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I seem to remember some issues with struts wearing out on some of the early RX's. Before I traded my '00 RX 300, I had begun to hear some pretty serious rebound thumps from the front end over speed bumps. If I'm remembering this correctly, there may have been a TSB on this very early on. I don't think this is a warranty issue on a '99, but you might have it checked out. Tammy is right, at your car's age and mileage, it's probably time.

Those new tires may be responsible for the harshness of the ride. As Salim said, check your tire pressure - about 30 lbs should be PLENTY. Some tire shops subscribe to the "more is better theory". If it's not the pressure, you may have a tire with a very stiff sidewall. This is common in very low profile tires, or in tires designed for "truck" applications. That stiff sidewall generally helps handling and load capacity, but it's sure tough on the spine.
Old 08-04-06, 11:16 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Lil4X
I seem to remember some issues with struts wearing out on some of the early RX's. Before I traded my '00 RX 300, I had begun to hear some pretty serious rebound thumps from the front end over speed bumps. If I'm remembering this correctly, there may have been a TSB on this very early on. I don't think this is a warranty issue on a '99, but you might have it checked out. Tammy is right, at your car's age and mileage, it's probably time.

Those new tires may be responsible for the harshness of the ride. As Salim said, check your tire pressure - about 30 lbs should be PLENTY. Some tire shops subscribe to the "more is better theory". If it's not the pressure, you may have a tire with a very stiff sidewall. This is common in very low profile tires, or in tires designed for "truck" applications. That stiff sidewall generally helps handling and load capacity, but it's sure tough on the spine.
Lil4X,

Reading your post. That reminded me of something about our RX300s. There is an active engine mount that is just below where the oil filter is and just a little in front sitting on the bottom of the frame. If this piece fails entirely, normally there would be a noise, but if this piece is dying there could be symptoms described in this thread. I remember my uncle was looking a this piece about a year ago and marveling at it (I remember this was something rare or unique to our vehicles).

I will take a photo when I get home tonight.

Other noises such as loose rods or suspension arms would likely make more noise than movement in what has been described in this thread.
Old 08-04-06, 12:39 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah, I remember that active mount, but wasn't it somehow attached to the steering column and driven 180 degrees out of phase by either pressure of vacuum from the crankcase. I think we had a problem or two come up on this forum that manifested as a vibration in the steering wheel (caused, I guess, by the mount bottoming out and transferring vibration directly to the column. I'll search around tonight to see what I can find.
Old 08-04-06, 12:52 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Lil4X
Yeah, I remember that active mount, but wasn't it somehow attached to the steering column and driven 180 degrees out of phase by either pressure of vacuum from the crankcase. I think we had a problem or two come up on this forum that manifested as a vibration in the steering wheel (caused, I guess, by the mount bottoming out and transferring vibration directly to the column. I'll search around tonight to see what I can find.
I remember something related to the exhaust pressure and that mount. Tonight, I will take a picture of some of those other pesky areas that bring up noise and/or vibrations.

I do not doubt that shocks can go bad. I broke one doing offroading once. I am sure that my years in Mexico City have not proven the best friend to them either.

Last edited by Lexmex; 08-04-06 at 08:47 PM.
Old 08-04-06, 08:36 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

This the front engine mounting insulator. This is the actual piece that my uncle focused his attention on.
Attached Thumbnails Not the smoothest ride-img_0738.jpg  
Old 08-04-06, 08:38 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

This bushing stopper on the front stabilizer bar has come loose on me once and we had to screw it down again, but no trouble since.
Attached Thumbnails Not the smoothest ride-img_0741.jpg  
Old 08-04-06, 08:42 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

This bushing on lower suspension arm has given me trouble on both sides and I had to replace both of the arms. It does affect the steering and it can jiggle badly if not replaced.
Attached Thumbnails Not the smoothest ride-img_0743.jpg  
Old 08-04-06, 08:45 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

The top of this stabilizer bar link has had to be tightened once and used to give a clanking sound.
Attached Thumbnails Not the smoothest ride-img_0746.jpg  
Old 08-04-06, 10:32 PM
GS Kid 300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my GS i had the same problem. Turns out it was 4 bolts are missing from the sway bar so it was loose.