RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Need help buying New Tires !!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-06, 12:57 PM
SIGMA45M
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need help buying New Tires !!

I'm looking to buy new tires for my 2002 RX300. I have Good(bad)Year tires on it now.
I HATE them !!!. I'm thinking of going to : Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza's - or -
Pirelli Scorpion STR A - or - Yokohama Geolander H/T-S GO51. I would also like
to go lower+wider. I think they call this " +1 , -1" . Does anyone have any ideas,
sugestions or expierence with any of the above ??????? All help would be
greatly apreciated. !!!!!!!

Last edited by SIGMA45M; 07-15-06 at 01:47 PM.
Old 07-15-06, 03:26 PM
SilverSprt
Pole Position

I personally would go for the Alenza's. They have solid reviews across the board and are a great all season tire make for premium SUVs. I heard the Geolanders aren't a bad deal either since they sell for a nice price, but if you aren't on a budget, I'd recommend the Alenzas. I am going to get those in a couple of months.
Old 07-15-06, 06:23 PM
miniround
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just bought some of those Goodyear Eagle's with the brand new ResponsEdge Technology. I don't think they make the +1-1 set yet, but I'd recommend these tires to you.
Old 07-16-06, 10:26 AM
sarah

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would recommend against the Bridgeston Alenza H/L tires. I bought mine from Costco
last year. It was a special-order item at the time, not sure if they still carry it.

The Alenza tires handle great in dry and snowy conditions, but the ride is much worse than
the Michelin CrossTerrains that I had previously....
Old 07-16-06, 01:02 PM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The replacement Goodyear Intergity tires are much better than the original ones .... for the first seven thousand miles I've put on them anyway. They balance well with little weight (20 Grams max)
Understand, I drive on hot dry pavement only, so my performance or all weather needs are limited.

They were $87 each, installed on chrome OEM rims balanced with chrome weights; out the door.
I purchased them with the idea in mind that a sidewall puncture would require a four tire purchase, regardless of the mileage on the set. A mesquite thorn in the sidewall took out my first set, at thirty five thousand miles.

My RX has all wheel drive, with a torsen "sure-grip" rear differential.
Old 07-17-06, 02:42 PM
Fern
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am also in the market (before winter) for tires for our RX.

All the research I've done always leads me to the Michelin Cross Terrain.

Sam's club can special order them ($180 CAD each install. & bal) and the tech said anyone who wants a great tire and doesn't fear paying about $25-30 bucks more per tire will go with the Cross Terrain...

He also said if you are not doing serious off roading (the RX isn't designed for that) and want a comfortable well made tire with low noise, the CT is the way to go.

I will be ordering mine in the end of October (before Jack Frost gets here)

BTW staying with 225/70-16 tire size since spare is the same size and NO, I'm not going to replace the spare with a CT
Old 10-06-06, 12:55 PM
Bclark
Driver School Candidate

Default I also need help with new tires

I am replacing the OEM Integrity's and am thinking about getting the Goodyear Assurance Comfortread's, as I only need tires for city,highway,dry and wet. Has anybody had experience with the tires on an '01 RX300 or know if they are too "soft"? I guess it's between these and the Dueler H/L Alenza's? Thanks
Brian
Old 10-06-06, 01:35 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I also have a 2002 RX300 and recently switched the original tires to Michelin Cross Terrains at the last Costco Michelin sale (which they run periodically). They do indeed ride better like everyone says.
Old 10-06-06, 04:09 PM
Vegas300
Driver School Candidate

Default Just put new tires on last week...

I was all set to go with the Bridgestone Alenza's and even had them installed for one day. It only took that long to realize that these weren't for me. They handled well and felt good on turns and acceleration, but once I hit the freeway...yikes. Let's just say they weren't exactly quiet. I did a little research that night on tirerack and a few other sites and decided to go back the next day and switch them.

I bought Goodyear Fortera TripleTreds...and I am SO glad I did! These are by far the best tires I have had on any vehicle. I've owned several SUV's and wish these would have been available back then. They grip the road and make the ride so smooth....but the best part, they are so very quiet! I obviously haven't taken them in snow yet (as I'm in Vegas), but all the buyer reviews I read said they are excellent in snow/rain as well.

I'll snap a picture of them when I get home tonight and post it if anyone wants to see what they look like on the RX. They are a directional aggresive looking tire for sure..http://www.tirerack.com/tires/BigPic...peed_rating=YR

FYI-These are also the #1 rated tire in the light truck/SUV category on tirerack.

Last edited by Vegas300; 10-06-06 at 04:16 PM.
Old 10-08-06, 04:53 AM
2MCHPSI
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone upped the tire size one up?

I noticed the Michelins ratings were much worse if you were to go one size up (235 instead of 225). I am not sure why that is, but I am thinking of spending the extra dough and getting the Michelin CT's, and staying with the stock size since the ratings were much different when stepping up one size . Wierd.
Old 10-08-06, 09:55 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by 2MCHPSI
Has anyone upped the tire size one up?

I noticed the Michelins ratings were much worse if you were to go one size up (235 instead of 225). I am not sure why that is, but I am thinking of spending the extra dough and getting the Michelin CT's, and staying with the stock size since the ratings were much different when stepping up one size . Wierd.
I know exactly what you are talking about, the treadwear.

Several owners, including myself, have done this. I have had the 235s for a few years, had to switch tires twice due to wear, but down here they seem to last about 1.5 years before they need replacing, and roads down here are never kind.

Changing to 235s is definitely noticable, vehicle will feel a little wider. My first impression was that now I am driving a tank.
Old 10-08-06, 09:57 PM
Vegas300
Driver School Candidate

Default Here's those Goodyear Fortera pics..

Goodyear Fortera TripleTreds..
Attached Thumbnails Need help buying New Tires !!-tire-1.jpg  
Old 10-09-06, 06:29 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I saw the specs on Tire Rack and the Goodyears look very similar to the Cross Terrains in certain features, but would like to see how they hold up in the long-term.
Old 10-09-06, 03:02 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Back in 2001 I replaced my RX 300's GY Integritys with upsized 235-series CTs. I put nearly 40K miles on them with NO signs of wear. The wet performance was simply outstanding, and in a few limited exposures to snow they performed well. Their dry performance was far superior to the GYs. Noise was a slight issue immediately after installation, but once the mold flash wore off the tread area, she slight whine disappeared - in about a week. Ride quality was surprisingly good - especially for an upsized tire.
Old 10-09-06, 04:42 PM
2MCHPSI
Driver School Candidate

So would you guys who did upgrade the tire size slightly recommend doing it? Did the ride change much??

Thanks

Quick Reply: Need help buying New Tires !!