RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

VSC & Check Engine Lights 2001 RX300

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-08, 09:37 AM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yup! I'm poor right now, so my plan is to drain the coolant, replace the t-stat with an OEM and refill. We'll see...
Old 03-22-08, 12:08 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I think a lot of us are in the same boat on our finances.

Let me know how the coolant drain goes for you.
Old 03-25-08, 04:06 PM
steevr
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad I found this post. Just got the rear pads and rotors replaced by a non-dealership brake place. As soon as I started the car, the VSC and CEL came on at the same time. I assume something was messed up with the rear antilock sensors after the brake job (reason being that the VSC light was on). They cleared the codes and about 10 minutes into my drive home, they both came back on again.

I'm thinking I should go to Autozone and get the codes read. From what I've read in this thread, the two lights don't necessarily mean somethings wrong with the ABS, but rather something emission related. The repair place said to bring it back tomorrow and they'll look at it. I think I should get the code read at Autozone and if it is emission related, I've got the Lexus Platinum Warranty that I would hope would cover it. For what it's worth, mine's an '02with 53,000 miles on it.

Thanks.
Old 03-25-08, 05:10 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't think of anything brake job related that would cause a CEL. Are you sure they didn't do some other checks for you while they were doing the brake job? Like maybe checking the air filter. It is very common for the black rubber hose behind the air box to detach from the metal tube below when checking the air filter. This will cause a 0440 or similiar evap type code.
Old 03-25-08, 07:02 PM
steevr
Pole Position

Mikey,

I thought the same thing. However, I did think that the brake job could cause the VSC light to come on. Why the VSC light would come on for a Check Engine problem is beyond me.

Good point, I'll check the air filter tomorrow.

Hey, I see you're in NJ. I just came back from visiting my sister in North Caldwell. Absolutely beautiful out there.
Old 03-26-08, 02:39 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

It's normal for the VSC light to come on with the CEL when you have a engine related problem.
Old 03-26-08, 06:44 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

The two lights do seem to be connected, vsc,and cel.Maybe they did that to get your attention beter.Who know`s. When mine came on that time for multiple cylnder missfireing,both lights came on.(when I cleaned the air intake)I have posted before on this board,that some of the older toyota`s,when the amp light came on,it was actually an oil pressure issue.Or visa versa,I dont recall now,but it had nothing to do with the actual problem at hand.
Old 05-27-09, 11:24 PM
HarrierRX300
Lead Lap

I'm doing a search for error codes and this seems relevant to my codes I just got today with a friend's OBDII with error codes 1150 and 1130. I'm guessing I should just let the dealer fix it since it PITA to reach inside/under all the parts. Any guesses what the dealer will charge + labor? I started another thread without searching. Sorry.
Old 06-08-09, 02:34 PM
tanno
Driver School Candidate

Default B1S1 connector 2002 RX300

Originally Posted by mstlc
I received the oxygen sensor today & installed it, all warning lights are gone The hardest part of the job was the damn connector, but once you understand how it comes apart it's easy.

Thanks again Lexmex for all of your help
Hi everyone! first time here... Great forum.
My 02 RX300 VSC and Engine light came on couple of months ago and I've been reading this forum extensively to find a clue. The code from Autozone read P1135, and I am thinking I should replace the B1S1 as suggested here.

Can anyone please help me with a tip on how to disconnect the B1S1 sensor connector. I don't want to do anything to break it and end up with a bigger problem.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-08-09, 07:32 PM
Trag672
Driver School Candidate

Funny thing happened to me with the CEL.... I said i need an inspection anyway so i took it to a repair place and saw i was low on fuel... went to get gas and poof no gas cap... someone stole my gas cap... atleast it was a cheap fix... ordering one with a lock now
Old 06-08-09, 10:47 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tanno
Hi everyone! first time here... Great forum.
My 02 RX300 VSC and Engine light came on couple of months ago and I've been reading this forum extensively to find a clue. The code from Autozone read P1135, and I am thinking I should replace the B1S1 as suggested here.

Can anyone please help me with a tip on how to disconnect the B1S1 sensor connector. I don't want to do anything to break it and end up with a bigger problem.

Thanks in advance.
tanno- that thing is a bugger! There just isn't an easy way, unless someone has figured it out and hasn't shared it. My suggestion would be, if you have a friend who will reach around behind the engine from over the engine from the front and hold the wiring loom taunt while you release the clip from the bottom with a loooong screw driver and pull the sensor tail with the other. i have a screw driver that is about 3 feet long and you can then control it with 1 hand from the bottom while you reach up with the other and pull the plug apart. You can't get 2 hands up there like you need to unless you're the rubber man. It's important to have the loom held taunt so that you can pull on the plug. Wish I knew of a better way, but I had to get it alone and it wasn't fun. Good luck!

Your call but I HIGHLY suggest you buy the original eq. Denso sensor rather than aftermarket from AZ. You can buy the OEM Denso from online Lexus dealer for $150. There are people who have had problems with aftermarket sensors and think it can't be the sensor, I just replaced it. Not so, if you want to be sure you don't have problems afterward, use OEM. With a P1135 code, it won't hurt anything if it's not replaced immediately, It's only the heater and has little affect on running and no risk involved.

Last edited by code58; 06-08-09 at 10:55 PM.
Old 06-20-09, 02:22 PM
Tahmeroo
Driver School Candidate

Default VSC and CEL - first time on 2002

Same thing here...today three lights came on:

CEL, TRAC OFF & VSC

Auto Zone codes are: P0440, P0441, P0446

I checked the gas cap, and it was on tight. I recently had oil changed at Toyota, could they have done something when they checked my air filter (they told me changing it was a to-do for my next visit)?

Should I:

-buy a gas cap as current one may have bad seals and try that first?
-clear codes and keep driving until i do my 90K service (within next 2or 3 months)
-take it on in to the dealer now

Thanks
Old 06-20-09, 04:57 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

I can almost guarantee that they pulled off the evap hose when they lifted the top of the air box to check the filter. This will cause the codes you mentioned. There is a black rubber hose behind the air box, directly under the brake fluid container. It connects to a metal tube below. It is easily pulled off the metal tube when lifting the air box top. Re-connect it and pull the negative battery cable to reset your codes and you should be good to go.
Old 06-21-09, 11:46 AM
Tahmeroo
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Mikey,

I did get a new gas cap - minimal expense - and we've removed the negative cable and the car is sitting. We will check the hose you mentioned before reconnecting the cable....sounds like that could very well be the culprit.

T
Old 06-21-09, 03:08 PM
Tahmeroo
Driver School Candidate

WOO HOO! Mikey, you were right. As soon as we looked behind the air filter box, we saw the little rubber tube completely off the metal tube...we reattached, hooked up the battery cable, cranked it up and all lights are off. So, I have a new spare gas cap

Thanks forum members, for helping me out!

Quick Reply: VSC & Check Engine Lights 2001 RX300