RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

VSC & Check Engine Lights 2001 RX300

Old 03-19-07, 01:28 PM
picturethi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im bringing this one back

I have a 00 rx, its got 40k miles , Im getting the codes 1130 1150 , 0171. does it make sence that both 02 (pre cat) are bad? Or could one cause the the other to go bad? I dis connected the battery and the cel keeps comming back ,
I even cleaned the MAF wires
thanks for any help
Old 03-22-07, 10:05 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by picturethi
im bringing this one back

I have a 00 rx, its got 40k miles , Im getting the codes 1130 1150 , 0171. does it make sence that both 02 (pre cat) are bad? Or could one cause the the other to go bad? I dis connected the battery and the cel keeps comming back ,
I even cleaned the MAF wires
thanks for any help
Yes...both can go bad.

If one is out of whack, of course it can throw an A/F ratio off, even though there is what I like to call a default mode. A little too rich and you can kiss the other O2 sensor goodbye.
Old 03-27-07, 05:49 PM
zeusigchi
Driver School Candidate

OK well just came on to type the same thing with my CEL and VSC lights. I will go to Auto Zone tomorrow and post the codes here and hopefully some (cough cough LexMex ) can help me out.
Car has been perfect until Saturday morning these lights came on, its a 01 and I have been freaking out since.
Hopefully post some codes tomorrow evening.
Old 03-29-07, 12:08 PM
mmahamm
Driver

Check to make sure the air filter housing is completely closed. Last year after I changed my air filter, the CEL and VSC lights came on. I did not connect the two, and took it to the dealer. They charged me $60 to tell me that I had not completely snugged my air box after putting a new filter in. Don't know what the connection was with the VSC, but it turned both lights off.
Old 03-29-07, 01:09 PM
zeusigchi
Driver School Candidate

Well yesterday morning the lights were gone after 2 days of being on. now they still off as of this morning. Does anyone know if I go to autozone if they still can tell what it was. And where is the air filter box to look for that?
Old 03-30-07, 12:56 PM
zeusigchi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by zeusigchi
Well yesterday morning the lights were gone after 2 days of being on. now they still off as of this morning. Does anyone know if I go to autozone if they still can tell what it was. And where is the air filter box to look for that?
LexMex any advice on this?? You seem to be the most knowledgable
Old 04-01-07, 10:27 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

LexMex any advice on this?? You seem to be the most knowledgable
Sorry for my late response...just got back from a trip tonight. If the lights went out by themselves, an OBDII code reader (as exists at AutoZone) should be able to pull up the old codes that were stored, even though the CEL no longer appears.
Old 04-06-07, 05:20 PM
picturethi
Driver School Candidate

replacing the under the car sensor was a nightmare, the bad o2 had to be torched off then the manifold had to be rethreaded

dont attempt this unless you have a lift and torch
Old 04-12-07, 07:59 AM
zeusigchi
Driver School Candidate

And thier back
I didnt know that Auto Zone could pull the codes of the lights werent on so I didnt go but now am forced to do something. Once I get the codes I will post them.
I think I was ready to ignore the fact that they ever came on since the car seems to be running just fine.
Old 04-13-07, 10:39 AM
zeusigchi
Driver School Candidate

OK P0128 was the code and here was the explaination
Check coolant level
Thermostat defective
ECT sensor defective
So I bought the thermostat and ECT - are they easy to install ? Help me if you can, any advice is appreciated. It was $50 for the two parts ..... so hopefully this works
Also I actually noticed my car was running cooler than it usually does.
Old 04-14-07, 01:36 PM
zeusigchi
Driver School Candidate

Anyone have any advice on the above?
Does anyone have experience changing these parts?
Old 04-14-07, 01:41 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Anyone have any advice on the above?
Does anyone have experience changing these parts?
I have changed out the thermostat to a TRD one back in late 2005. Not the easiest thing in the world to, though it is more easily accessible given it is on the right side of the engine block.
Old 04-17-07, 10:25 AM
zeusigchi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexmex
I have changed out the thermostat to a TRD one back in late 2005. Not the easiest thing in the world to, though it is more easily accessible given it is on the right side of the engine block.
Sounds like I will be bringing it to my mechanic then. Is this something I should take care of right away? I have been driving around for 2 weeks or so now with this.....
Old 04-17-07, 10:48 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Sounds like I will be bringing it to my mechanic then. Is this something I should take care of right away? I have been driving around for 2 weeks or so now with this.....
As long as you don't have engine temp issues (should be just a little above the middle notch when fully warmed up) then you should be okay. As far as a thermostat, the whole process if done by a decent mechanic should not take more than an hour max (you also will need 5 liters of Toyota Red Coolant/5 liters of bottled (non-fizzy) water) or just get 10 liters of Toyota Pink Coolant. I believe, but have not had to do it yet, that the ECT Temp. sensor may not involved as much work (but I am basing this on some other vehicles I have seen this performed on). I would also add one bottle of Redline's WaterWetter (most auto stores have it).

As far as how long you can go on, I would not want to chance this more than a month. Keep in mind, that when these CELs occur, that there is a default mode in these RX300s, but engine parts don't always care and can and will fail.

Last edited by Lexmex; 04-17-07 at 10:53 AM.
Old 04-17-07, 12:15 PM
zeusigchi
Driver School Candidate

Ok thanks for the info, I will probably try and get it done this week. I would take it to Lexus but I just cant afford dealer maintenance.
Right now the current temp is running a little under halfway and usually it is about half or a little over half.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: VSC & Check Engine Lights 2001 RX300