RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Buying a '99 RX - some questions...

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-06, 12:37 PM
lb535
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Buying a '99 RX - some questions...

Hi All,

I'm a relative newbie so my apologies if these questions have already been answered ad nauseum, but a quick search didn't turn up any answers.... so here goes:

I am considering buying a 1999 RX 300 (first year of production, since they have come down most in price and would be the only ones I could afford). A few questions:

* Can 2001-2003 HID headlamps (and related hardware) be retrofitted in the 1999-2000 models? How about the revamped halogen lights from those years? And are either a considerable improvement over the '99-00 lights? My current car has awful headlights and I drive at night alot, so this is an important consideration for me

* Can the radio head units be replaced with an aftermarket one with a navigation system built in? Or does the tie-in with the LCD display mandate keeping the factory radio? (I'm aware that Lexus offered optional Nav starting in 2001, but would rather not do a retrofit here, given that the technology has advanced since then, plus I want to add a rear-view camera that the factory system didn't have).

* In which year did the large, full-length center console replace the shorter, separate console that allowed easy walk-through between the front seats? I prefer the old arrangement since I often park in tight quarters and need to exit through the passenger door sometimes.

* I'm looking for a base model with the cloth/velour seats. Again, the 2001 models had new fabric. How was it different? (I do remember seeing cloth-seat RX 300s although most had leather)

* I also would prefer the FWD model to AWD. I'm in Maryland. How common were FWD RX's?

* Can the dashboard lighting color be changed to red, if I open it up and change bulbs etc.?

* Anything else I should know?

Would appreciate answers to any you'd know... thanks in advance....
Old 06-04-06, 05:11 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

If you do some keyword searches, you'll find recent comments that engine gelling (due to neglect of oil changes) is something to check out. A service history is a big plus.

Cloth seats are very rare as far as I've seen. I've never seen an RX300 without leather. There are a good number of FWD RX300's in the mid-Atlantic area. Even more FWD in Florida and Texas.

I'm not that familiar with all the RX300 years and mods, so I'll leave the other questions to others.
Old 06-04-06, 06:49 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

bob2200 is correct about FWDs in the area and I remember when looking through the classifieds seeing many FWDs in Maryland.

I ended up buying my AWD in Virginia since I lived in the DC area before I left.

My home state is Florida and I guarantee you it still is tought to find an AWD, but FWDs are all around.
Old 06-04-06, 07:49 PM
mhc0725
Driver

Smile

Originally Posted by lb535
Hi All,

I'm a relative newbie so my apologies if these questions have already been answered ad nauseum, but a quick search didn't turn up any answers.... so here goes:

I am considering buying a 1999 RX 300 (first year of production, since they have come down most in price and would be the only ones I could afford). A few questions:

* Can 2001-2003 HID headlamps (and related hardware) be retrofitted in the 1999-2000 models? How about the revamped halogen lights from those years? And are either a considerable improvement over the '99-00 lights? My current car has awful headlights and I drive at night alot, so this is an important consideration for me

* Can the radio head units be replaced with an aftermarket one with a navigation system built in? Or does the tie-in with the LCD display mandate keeping the factory radio? (I'm aware that Lexus offered optional Nav starting in 2001, but would rather not do a retrofit here, given that the technology has advanced since then, plus I want to add a rear-view camera that the factory system didn't have).

* In which year did the large, full-length center console replace the shorter, separate console that allowed easy walk-through between the front seats? I prefer the old arrangement since I often park in tight quarters and need to exit through the passenger door sometimes.

* I'm looking for a base model with the cloth/velour seats. Again, the 2001 models had new fabric. How was it different? (I do remember seeing cloth-seat RX 300s although most had leather)

* I also would prefer the FWD model to AWD. I'm in Maryland. How common were FWD RX's?

* Can the dashboard lighting color be changed to red, if I open it up and change bulbs etc.?

* Anything else I should know?

Would appreciate answers to any you'd know... thanks in advance....
I own a '99 RX AWD with 80K now, and thus far no issues whatsoever EXCEPT that front drivers struts went out around 75K, which seems quick to me. As to your questions:

1. I'm sure if you have the money to spend, you probably could retrofit the HID into the car, as the body work did not change any from 99 to 2001, so any unit for the 2001 should fit in a 1999. As for brightness, I never really found any issue with the OEM halogen lights. They are actually very bright and work well with the foglights on also.

2. With the right kits, you can covert the complete center until to hold a player and aftermarket NAV. In the forums there are user mods that you can check out and I've seen several with good Pioneer and Alpine aftermarket units install in the RX. Yes, the screens will block out or totally replace the LCD display.

3. Not sure what you mean but presume that you mean the console between the passengar and driver's seat. Honestly, I didn't know that they went to a larger console. With the '99, you can slip right out from passenger side without issue.

4/5: Cloth and FWD I would imagine would be easier to find than cloth and AWD, but in Marland it might be a little difficult. Like previous posts, I would look down south for easier finds. Although the RX and ES have base in cloth form, they are hard to find as I'm sure the factory will not release many with cloth.

6. I've removed the dash bezel to replace the "D" light before and they're very small bulbs for all the warning displays with a larger one for the speedometer and tachometer. I would imagine someone might make the bulbs in different colors, but I bought my replacement bulbs at Lexus because they didn't seem to be generic bulbs that you can find at Autozone or PepBoys.

7. Anything else? Look out for engine gel issues with this generation. I have had no issues, but then again I've used Mobil 1 synthetic since 10K on vehicle and change oil religiously at no more than 4K intervals.

Good hunting...
Old 06-19-06, 01:53 AM
lb535
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies.... I saw the neat navigation install elsewhere on this forum, moving the existing climate/audio controls to inside the floor console and putting the nav screen under the existing LCD display.

As for the larger center floor console I mentioned, I may have been confusing the RX300 with the Highlander, which started out using an RX-type console (with space between the shift lever on the dash and the console) and later switched to a larger console that meets the dash, eliminating the pass-through between the driver and front passenger seats.
Old 06-19-06, 07:40 AM
witmaRX
Rookie

Smile 99 Rx

answer (1) yes, HID kits are available for RX, i wud say first change the bulbs, philips builbs are 55w but they burn like 100W. if thisdoenot help you then go for HID wiring

answer (2), you know it now, can you post that link, i wud like to see that too.

answer (3) all RX's have same setup as far as the space/ access between seats is concerned

answer (4) i have never seen an RX with cloth interior, nver thought it came with one.

answer (5) i have AWD, FWD are the most common and u will find it easily.

answer (6) i wud think so, you shud be able to change the bulbs

answer (7) since it is first production year, it will have some errors nothing major..
like ratlling noise. glove box not closing correctly (was not fixed till 2001).

overall its a great car, comfy ride...check the maintenance records.

don't forget to post the link about navigation!!!

Good luck
Old 06-20-06, 02:18 AM
lb535
Driver School Candidate

don't forget to post the link about navigation!!!
Here you go, see these two threads for some RX300 nav installs:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=222500 (see also the mp3car link in the first post on this thread)

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=213753

BTW, I've seen several RX 300s with cloth seats. It's a smooth, soft velour, and was only available in the ivory/beige color. I've also seen a RX 330 with cloth - also only available in ivory, but it's a highly textured cloth with a wavy pattern on it, rather rough IMO, not a velour or smooth cloth. Those big leather-bound portfolios the dealers have showing the paint and upholstery sample show the same material was available for the RX 400h but in grey. I've never seen one so equipped; the brochures list leather as standard equipment and makes no reference to cloth being available, and the new portfolios showing the '07 RX 350 and RX 400h (the latter still a '06 model) still have the ivory cloth available for the 350 but leather only for the 400h.

I much prefer the cloth in the RX 300 to leather, especially since owners that didn't maintain them well now have hardened, shiny, cracked leather that has lost its suppleness.