RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Photo DIY: RX300 AWD Transmission Fluid, Pan, Filter Change

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-16, 09:56 AM
Drcoffee
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts
Default DIY Defeating the RX300 security system

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ml#post9566621

The best 10 minute fix so far
Old 08-25-16, 11:32 AM
trips1
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One question:
If someone forgets to put the O-ring on the new oil restrainer, will it be too bad?
I made that mistake and only realized after i had put everything back and had re-fueled the ATF.
I did fix it by again draining the ATF, removing everything and spending hour of my time (frustrating) :-( .
So was just curious if i could have driver without the O-ring without any serious consequences.
Old 08-27-16, 05:45 AM
Drcoffee
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by trips1
One question:
If someone forgets to put the O-ring on the new oil restrainer, will it be too bad?
I made that mistake and only realized after i had put everything back and had re-fueled the ATF.
I did fix it by again draining the ATF, removing everything and spending hour of my time (frustrating) :-( .
So was just curious if i could have driver without the O-ring without any serious consequences.
so its a "strainer" not restrainer. The O ring seals the strainer to the transmission. If the O ring is not installed, air will be allowed to disrupt the suction and potentially allow the transmission to run dry. So the best way to explain this would be this example. If you have ever used a straw to drink a beverage, and the straw had a hole or break in it, you had to work harder to draw the beverage up the straw. Same here. You needed to put the O ring back in place. And you have. But yes, it would be a bad thing.
Old 09-03-16, 10:18 PM
nzvlnr
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok ...doing a trasmission flush; Using mobil 1 3309 fluid and the beck Darnley filter gasket kit? Is there is any opposition SPEAK!! I read through allot of this forum and believe these are acceptable by the community?
Beck Arnley 044-0316 Automatic Transmission Filter Kit
https://www.amazon.com/Beck-Arnley-0...5%3A2470955011
Old 11-02-16, 09:12 PM
aznlapin
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did a 12 quart flush today. Revs were spiking until the ATF warmed up, knew it was time to change it out. ATF came out silverish pink, no burnt smell though.

Parts:
Filter: kit with paper filter, rubber gasket and o-ring, Beck Arnley 044-0316
Gasket: OEM from Toyota, didn't use above gasket
ATF: castrol import multi-vehicle ATF, 12 quarts

- Drained from both ports, dropped pan, changed the filter and o-ring. Cleaned the pan and found only 2 magnets. Sludge everywhere T_T
- Buttoned it back up and poured in 5 quarts of Castrol ATF.
- Disconnected the cooler line. Could only reach the clamp on the inlet line, so made do with that.
- Started up car, pumped out a couple quarts of ATF, turned off engine, fill up with more ATF. Repeat 2x.
- Last time around, shifted thru all the gears, with parking brake on and stepping on brakes.
- Reconnected cooler line, check dipstick and fill as needed.

The ATF that came out of the cooler line at the end was still cloudy and slightly dark. Not transparent and clear like new ATF, but at least no longer dark and silverish.
Shifting was really good after the flush. No more rev spikes, no need to warm up ATF slowly. Everything felt solid.

Question:
Does anyone know the flow of ATF from the pan? Is it: pan -> transmission/ torque converter/ front differential -> cooler -> pan or something else?

Trying to figure how much or how less old ATF I got out. Thanks

Last edited by aznlapin; 11-02-16 at 09:18 PM.
Old 01-26-17, 11:09 AM
trips1
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wanted to check if it is okay to mix Toyota ATF T4 and Castrol Transmax Synthetic ATF?
Essentially i changed my pan/filter/ATF 6 months ago with Toyota T4. Now i am planning to switch to Castrol Transmax and want to just drain and refill the ATF and don't want to drop the pan.
That implies that i will be changing only 4 quarts of ATF.

Is it okay to mix Castrol Transmax and Toyota T4?
Old 01-26-17, 12:54 PM
LA4Mead
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Valvoline MaxLife

Originally Posted by wotcham8
Hi,
Quick question: This fully synthetic Valvoline ATF says it is compatible with T-IV fluid. It is easily available where I am. Is it as good or better than the original Toyota T-IV fluid and will it mix ok with the original stuff?

Thanks for the helpful photos and explanation
Does anyone else have a history of running this fluid? I have done two complete 12+ quart fluid exchanges through the cooler line over a four-year period with this stuff. I didn't have any mechanical problems before the maintenance (updated factory new, not rebuilt transmission by Lexus done in 2003). It runs silky-smooth as expected. I still don't foresee any problems, but I don't want any on this long-term 1999 2WD I bought new in early 1998.

I'm curious to hear the comments of others regarding the use of this fluid long-term. The product shows compatibility with T-IV and is a full-synthetic. Price is competitive with basic T-IV when it is purchased in gallons at the discount store.

Thanks.

Last edited by LA4Mead; 01-26-17 at 02:17 PM.
Old 07-14-17, 12:01 PM
msaikhan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cant see the pictures
Old 07-14-17, 12:32 PM
Brcobrem
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by msaikhan
I cant see the pictures
Please use the Quote button to include the original post's content in your Reply. We have no idea which post you're talking about.

Regards . . .
Old 07-14-17, 03:21 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by msaikhan
I cant see the pictures

https://web.archive.org/web/20150825...er-change.html
Old 08-22-17, 03:24 PM
river
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default drain and fill can mix tIV with synthetic

I am planning on doing drain and fill. I beleive it has Totyota TIV, can I use Amsoil 4 qrt to refill ? if yes then how many times i have to drop and drian to completely replace the oil in the transmission? and what is good interval for changinging
Old 10-04-17, 01:13 PM
Ploezal
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for your job
Old 10-04-17, 02:31 PM
steelgtr
Pit Crew

Sorry if it's been asked but when the dealer does a "flush" vs a standard drain using their special machine, is that for real or just dealer hype? ($350.00)!!

bob
Old 10-05-17, 07:57 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

It's real and not endorsed or recommended by Lexus. Know as "The Kiss of Death" to many, but some dealers still do them. Some also add snake oil like BG products too. Also not recommended or endorsed.
Old 10-05-17, 09:47 PM
steelgtr
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by carguy07
It's real and not endorsed or recommended by Lexus. Know as "The Kiss of Death" to many, but some dealers still do them. Some also add snake oil like BG products too. Also not recommended or endorsed.
Kiss of death? BTW, this is at Piercey Toyota, not the Lexus dealer.

bob

Quick Reply: Photo DIY: RX300 AWD Transmission Fluid, Pan, Filter Change