RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Photo DIY: RX300 AWD Transmission Fluid, Pan, Filter Change

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-14, 12:49 PM
pilot2
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

70k miles on 2000 RX300, former owner had Lexus dealer replace 4 quarts on two different occasions. I opted to do a 12-quart change with Toyota transmission fluid. Transmission was drained and that measured 3.5 quarts and another 1/2 quart measured from transfer case--the fluid was dark but not burnt and probably was do for a change. Put in new fluid and drove car for 6-8 miles. Repeated process three times for a total of 12 quarts. Fluid looks really nice. Very simple procedure. From this point forward, in keeping with those who have placed substantial mileage on their transmissions without repairs, I will do the 4-quart drain at 15K mile intervals. At least in this manner, if I have a trans failure I can probably eliminate any concern that it occurred because of a lack of trans fluid changes.
Old 08-01-14, 09:50 AM
xchinamanx
Driver School Candidate

In case this helps anyone, my car's transmission was starting to slip a bit. The other day, I went up a steep incline and it just revved really high without engaging.

I purchased the Wix 58618 filter kit (it came with filter, o-ring, and transmission pan gasket), 6 quarts of Royal Purple ATF, and 1 bottle of Lucas Transmission Fix.

I got about 4 quarts by draining, dropping pan, and replacing filter. I did a drain and fill with filter change about 3 years ago and haven't driven the car much since then. The pan had gunk on the bottom and fluid didn't look horrible but was a bit dark. Magnets seemed like they had a normal amount of shaving for 3-4 years. I couldn't get the transfer case plug out as I stripped it a bit. I put everything back in (put all the screws through the pan and gasket before putting back on) and pour 3 quarts of Royal Purple through dipstick hole. I then remove the hose from the cooler and pumped out about 3 quarts. I stopped when the color of the fluid changed and it started to sputter.

I put in another 3 quarts of Royal Purple plus the Lucas Fix (which has the consistency of honey). After test driving, the results were immediately noticeable. Shift were smoother, acceleration more precise, etc.

I'm not sure if it's because I change the filter, replace 6 quarts of ATF, or because of the Lucas but it seems to be working pretty well right now. I'll update in a few months.
Old 10-03-14, 01:49 PM
trips1
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by xchinamanx
In case this helps anyone, my car's transmission was starting to slip a bit. The other day, I went up a steep incline and it just revved really high without engaging.

I purchased the Wix 58618 filter kit (it came with filter, o-ring, and transmission pan gasket), 6 quarts of Royal Purple ATF, and 1 bottle of Lucas Transmission Fix.

I got about 4 quarts by draining, dropping pan, and replacing filter. I did a drain and fill with filter change about 3 years ago and haven't driven the car much since then. The pan had gunk on the bottom and fluid didn't look horrible but was a bit dark. Magnets seemed like they had a normal amount of shaving for 3-4 years. I couldn't get the transfer case plug out as I stripped it a bit. I put everything back in (put all the screws through the pan and gasket before putting back on) and pour 3 quarts of Royal Purple through dipstick hole. I then remove the hose from the cooler and pumped out about 3 quarts. I stopped when the color of the fluid changed and it started to sputter.

I put in another 3 quarts of Royal Purple plus the Lucas Fix (which has the consistency of honey). After test driving, the results were immediately noticeable. Shift were smoother, acceleration more precise, etc.

I'm not sure if it's because I change the filter, replace 6 quarts of ATF, or because of the Lucas but it seems to be working pretty well right now. I'll update in a few months.
How is the transmission on your car now?
I am running into somewhat similar problem. Did the complete transmission oil as well as pan change 3-4 of years ago and i only drive about 8K per year. And i did plain transmission oil change sometime last year. Recently starting seeing some hesitation in transmission especially when reversing from my garage and occasionally some hesitation in inclines too.
Am going to do another pan drop and change in next few days.

Does folks on this forum encourages use of the Lucas Transmission fix?
Also i already bought the Toyota T4 ATF. I am hoping that is okay and i don't need to look for Royal Purple.
Mine is a 2WD and had the understanding that most of the transmission problems come on AWD. Keeping my fingers crossed now.
Old 10-04-14, 03:21 PM
Bobadababy
Driver School Candidate

Default Didn't reinstall O-ring on restrainer

Guess I wasn't paying enough attention to instructions because when I poured the old fluid out of catch pan I found the O-ring in the bottom. The car runs fine after doing the work but is it OK if it's not in there?
Old 10-05-14, 03:07 PM
Bobadababy
Driver School Candidate

Default How many O-rings go on filter? 1 or 2?

I have two O-rings but autozone says the new filter does not come with one and that my car takes only one. How is that possible?

Originally Posted by Bobadababy
Guess I wasn't paying enough attention to instructions because when I poured the old fluid out of catch pan I found the O-ring in the bottom. The car runs fine after doing the work but is it OK if it's not in there?
Old 01-17-15, 01:42 PM
maorsela
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

What a day!

Dropped pan, replaced filter, had hard time putting back the pan, all the screws had a hard time to catch the threads.

When i bolted then in with an impact driver, they barely went in. One of the screws snapped in half.

Had a leak from the drain bolt, had a leak from the pan's gasket, what a mess!

I think whoever did the job last, ruined all the threads. Had hard time to even get them out.

Rushed to a toyota dealership near by, it'll cost me $650 for a new pan (it was dented already) and rework the whole thing.

I'm not going to do that again!

in the future, can I just drain the pan and transfer case? then refill. Would that be sufficient for a while? meaning, 30k+?

Also, the two hoses by the a/c compressor shown in step 9, my car doesn't have any of them, I have a 2002 FWD.
Old 01-19-15, 03:43 AM
Hatchman
Rookie

Originally Posted by maorsela
What a day!

Dropped pan, replaced filter, had hard time putting back the pan, all the screws had a hard time to catch the threads.

When i bolted then in with an impact driver, they barely went in. One of the screws snapped in half.

I think whoever did the job last, ruined all the threads. Had hard time to even get them out.

Rushed to a toyota dealership near by, it'll cost me $650 for a new pan (it was dented already) and rework the whole thing.

in the future, can I just drain the pan and transfer case? then refill. Would that be sufficient for a while? meaning, 30k+?

Also, the two hoses by the a/c compressor shown in step 9, my car doesn't have any of them, I have a 2002 FWD.
Wow, that is a rough day. Sounds like the threads were jacked up. Next time, I would consider going to buy a tap a die kit to help "reshape" the threads to better condition before using the impact driver. Only 30 bucks for a cheap kit at Advance Auto, or you can borrow one from there for free. Pretty easy to run the tool up in there to help reshape the threads a little.

650 for a pan sounds ridiculously high, you should be able to find a used one for 100. There is one on ebay, but it is for a 4wd.

In the future, I would just drain the oil. Tranny Oil should be good for 50k miles or so, but that's my opinion. Then change the filter again at 100k miles.
Old 01-19-15, 07:12 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by maorsela
What a day!

Old 01-19-15, 08:06 PM
maorsela
Rookie

Originally Posted by Hatchman
Wow, that is a rough day. Sounds like the threads were jacked up. Next time, I would consider going to buy a tap a die kit to help "reshape" the threads to better condition before using the impact driver. Only 30 bucks for a cheap kit at Advance Auto, or you can borrow one from there for free. Pretty easy to run the tool up in there to help reshape the threads a little.

650 for a pan sounds ridiculously high, you should be able to find a used one for 100. There is one on ebay, but it is for a 4wd.

In the future, I would just drain the oil. Tranny Oil should be good for 50k miles or so, but that's my opinion. Then change the filter again at 100k miles.
The $650 is including 4-5 hours work, i assume. The pan itself they quoted me $130.

you mean this kit?

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/t...rm=tap+die+kit

How would this help in my situation where all the screws and threads in the tranny were messed up?
Old 01-20-15, 06:51 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

You want to use a rethreader, similar to a tap and die set, but made to repair rather than cut threads. This one has bailed me out several times. Great for cleaning rust out of threads too.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-40-pc...1&blockType=G1
Old 01-23-15, 01:05 PM
pilot2
Rookie

Default What lexus dealer says about which oils are approved for rx300...

I spoke today (January 2015) with Lexus of Windsor, Ontario, Canada. The parts department advised that while 5W30 is in the original spec sheet for use with the RX300, a Lexus publication shows that 5W20 synthetic or 0W20 synthetic are also approved for the RX300. Apparently 5W20 is the most commonly utilized in their service department.

The foregoing Lexus recommendation is consistent with a very educational article about motor oils, which dispels many myths that seem to be repeated often in "oil threads." The article can be found here.
Old 03-06-15, 04:06 PM
wotcham8
Driver School Candidate

Default Fully Synthetic ATF - As good or better?

Hi,
Quick question: This fully synthetic Valvoline ATF says it is compatible with T-IV fluid. It is easily available where I am. Is it as good or better than the original Toyota T-IV fluid and will it mix ok with the original stuff?

Thanks for the helpful photos and explanation
Attached Thumbnails Photo DIY:  RX300 AWD Transmission Fluid, Pan, Filter Change-img_6414.jpg   Photo DIY:  RX300 AWD Transmission Fluid, Pan, Filter Change-img_6415.jpg  
Old 10-15-15, 07:04 PM
jimkca
7th Gear

Says it's compatible so I'd say go for it. Synthetic means it will not breakdown as quickly. However, IMO non-synthetic is fine if you plan to change fluid every year or two.
Old 03-28-16, 06:30 AM
roseyyz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by pilot2
I spoke today (January 2015) with Lexus of Windsor, Ontario, Canada. The parts department advised that while 5W30 is in the original spec sheet for use with the RX300, a Lexus publication shows that 5W20 synthetic or 0W20 synthetic are also approved for the RX300. Apparently 5W20 is the most commonly utilized in their service department.

The foregoing Lexus recommendation is consistent with a very educational article about motor oils, which dispels many myths that seem to be repeated often in "oil threads." The article can be found here.
thanks for all that info!!

I appreciate the link also.. very useful.
Old 03-29-16, 04:05 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pilot2

I'm sure this has been posed here before, but:
Attached Thumbnails Photo DIY:  RX300 AWD Transmission Fluid, Pan, Filter Change-canadian-20lexus-20oil-20chart.jpg  

Quick Reply: Photo DIY: RX300 AWD Transmission Fluid, Pan, Filter Change