RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Aux In for RX300

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-06, 04:06 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

In theory, the DIY circuit looks good. Just adjust gain to match levels though. The concern would be the frequency responce and the size of volatge swings (gain). The page talks about ring/tip, which are terms based on telphony [freqency does not cover the full audio spectrum]. ... disclaimer ... It very well could be that the circuit as is, covers full audio spectrum and beyond.

Can't comment on cleanbox. details talk about mixing (merging more than one source). I am not sure if this box does what the DIY mentioned above.

Note: tomv has been successful without using the balance drivers.

Salim
Old 09-11-06, 11:51 AM
mcowher
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've spent days searching for the 10-pin plug/connector, and I think I finally came up with a product we can modify/tweak to prevent us from having to cut into the wiring harness to do this Aux-In mod.

Basicly, we just need the 10-pin male and female connectors of this kit, but I think it will work:

Peripheral Electronics PPH1761
Old 09-12-06, 04:43 AM
mcowher
Driver School Candidate

Well, I didn't get the PPH1761, but I did buy two Toyota wiring harnesses that I think I can modify. The model numbers are TWH-950 (female) and TWH-951 (male). They include the 6-pin connectors, which I won't need, but I'm fairly sure the 10-pin female connector will fit into the 10-pin socket on the back of the Pioneer Head Unit... I'll probably need to rearrange the wires (if possible) and do some splicing, but in the end I'll hopefully have a plug-and-play solution to this Aux-In adapter.

I've completed the 2-unit, daisy-chained setup so I can have 2 aux-in ports, wired a 3-way rocker switch, and put the whole thing inside a Radio Shack kit box. Once I have everything working, I'll take some photos.

Oh...and I bought the 2 wiring harness off of ebay from the same seller for a total of $14.40 shipped...
Old 09-14-06, 05:57 AM
mcowher
Driver School Candidate

Salim,

I was able to get 5 samples of the DRV134 chip from Texas instruments for free, so if you want to try them out yourself here's the link:

DRV134 Samples
Old 09-14-06, 07:59 AM
salimshah

Thanks for the pointer.

I looked at the spec the frequency should be fine. The only problem I see is the
fixed gain of 2.

Depending on how you source your signal [pre-amp out out of ipod or phono out] you may have to play with over all gain.

Discreate components (including ic) are not costly, realys were the most expensive part, the major expence is in building the printed circuit board and box. Volume prodcution can bring those down, but requires serious outlay of $$$.

Let me know how things work out for you. You are always welcome to PM me.

Salim
Old 09-15-06, 04:57 AM
mcowher
Driver School Candidate

Got my relays in the mail yesterday, and finished my little kit box with 2 inputs and a 3-way toggle switch...Everything works great, and I could install the kit in the RX300, but now I'm waiting for those 10-pin wiring harnesses to see if I can make the kit plug-and-play.

I'm also waiting for 2 Balanced Line Driver modules that I bought from a guy at DIYAudio.com, but I'm going to try everything out without the BLD for now, and then add them later.

I'll eventually feed an iPod into one of the new aux inputs, but initially, I'll be feeding it the audio output from one of these babies:

Modix HD-3510 (Not a Mediagate)

It's a hard drive-based media player that just happens to fit perfectly in the bottom tray of the center console in the RX300...

I drilled an 1-1/2" hole in the back of the drawer, and I feed all my wires through there and then under the center console to the back of the head unit. I had to disassemble the entire center console to do it (not as bad as it sounds), but no wires are showing anywhere, so it looks great.

Last edited by mcowher; 09-17-06 at 07:27 AM.
Old 09-15-06, 07:58 AM
salimshah

did you or do you plan to bread board the circuit?

Post pictures.

Also be mindful of hostile (vibration and temp swings) for Mediagate.

Good Luck.

Salim
Old 09-17-06, 07:33 AM
mcowher
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the suggestions about the vibration and heat issues... I'll but some padding under the media player in the drawer, and I might had a small PC case fan to vent air out of the 1-1/2" hole I drilled...

I had planned on building the Balanced Load Driver circuit per this link, but somebody on the site had already built one, and is selling the assembled modules...

Balanced Line Driver DIY

I'm finishing my "kit" today and taking picture, so I'll post them when complete...
Old 09-17-06, 12:50 PM
mcowher
Driver School Candidate

Here are some pictures from my gallery of my recent project to build a two-input version of the Aux-In modification. I've daisy changed two relays together, and included a RCA jack mini-board that I've installed in a Radio Shack kit box.

Since I have two inputs, I needed to use a 3-way rocker switch. Here are the pics of the install:

Pics of the TWH-950 and TWH-951 wiring harness I adapted to fit the 10-pin connector on the back of the Pioneer Headunit:

Perfect fit for the OEM connector:

Starting the modifications to the wiring harnesses (with the sewing needles I used to remove the wires from the plugs):

Wires for the pass-through pins (unused in the mod) have been soldered together:

My complete Kit with 2 aux-inputs (Radio Shack kit box)!

The bottom drawer where I'm putting the media player:

Media player in place:

Location of the 3-way switch:

Media player running on the front monitor:
Old 09-18-06, 10:55 PM
maruzo
Driver School Candidate

That was simply awesome, dude. Best aftermarket hack on the rx300 as far as i know. i've been thinking about adding mp3 via aux in on my 2002 rx300. seeing ur lcd makes me want to add that as well. Btw, u showed the lcd as your "front monitor". does that mean you've added a second monitor for the backseat passengers as well?? if so, can you post a picture?

Great job!
Old 09-19-06, 05:34 AM
mcowher
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, I have 2 headrest mounted monitors for the kids in the back seat. I'll post some pictures later...
Old 10-24-06, 05:41 PM
skippy911
Driver

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I am having an issue with my install now. When on the aux in the left side keeps cutting out. I checked the wires and they all visually seem to still be conntected to their respective screw, and I also made sure each screw was tight. When I flip the switch for the radio to have sound vs aux in the sound on the left is fine, never cuts out. Any ideas tom or anyone else its driving me nuts.
Old 10-25-06, 09:06 PM
salimshah

Skippy:

Sine I do not know your set up, [are you vreating r+ r- l+ l- or just feeding as high as possible with r, gnd, l).

I would reccomend checking polarity of the L signal input, specially with respect to gnd. It is ac signal but you can get into a situatin where you may have a hook up of R,gnd and gnd, Left (proper connection would be Left, gnd).

Another thing to try would be to add say 33uFd electrolytic cap, in series.

Salim
Old 10-26-06, 07:49 AM
skippy911
Driver

Salimshah: not sure if you can pull any information from the pictures tom and I took but what you are describing to me blew my mind. Is there any way you could dumb that information down a little bit for me? Thanks in advance
Old 10-26-06, 05:55 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by skippy911
Salimshah: not sure if you can pull any information from the pictures tom and I took but what you are describing to me blew my mind. Is there any way you could dumb that information down a little bit for me? Thanks in advance
Caution: I do not have the set up you/tomv has so I am really blind and trying to help you

Trace the wires from the relay to the ipod. I assume you are using 4p relay. The common on the relays should be going to the head unit as l+, l-, r+ and r-.

Trace the lines going to the ipod and these 4 wires some how need to connect to l, r and gnd. My assumption is that r and gnd are right and the l and gnd could be swapped. The other suggestion was to add a 33mico-farrad capacitor in series to the l from ipod to the relay aux-line-in.

Note: I had voiced my concerns about gnd the l- and r- signals, but people have done the mod successfully.

So did you get the male and female plugs for RX head unit?

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 10-26-06 at 05:57 PM. Reason: forgot to sign

Quick Reply: Aux In for RX300