RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Rear Differential & Transfer Case DIY

Old 08-24-14, 10:02 PM
Phantom410
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Welcome to the Club.

If you are talking about the rear one, there is a clearance problem on the height of the head of the plug.
That's what I noticed when I swapped out my resonator. Ah well, a PITA bolt every now and then makes things more fun, right? And thanks for the welcome
Old 10-08-14, 11:31 AM
pilot2
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tammy
...Expect to find 18 mm inside diameter steel compression seals under the plug heads. They can be reused, but replacements are recommended when disturbed. I used Toyota replacements rather than Lexus. It's a standard seal.

The "gasket" (steel compression seal) Toyota part number is 1215710010 and costs about $1.59 at a Toyota dealer and was quoted at twice that price at a Lexus dealer--same exact Toyota part.
Old 09-02-15, 08:15 PM
BlueCrabby
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Keep in mind that my thread is only about the transfer case and rear differential that uses gear oil, not the transmission that uses ATF. I don't want to confuse people.
is it possible to replace the transfer case and read diff fluids without jacking up the RX300?

Thanks!
Old 09-04-15, 07:10 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by titangummy
is it possible to replace the transfer case and read diff fluids without jacking up the RX300?

Thanks!
Yes, I've done it myself countless times. A lot has to do with the size of the person doing the change.
Old 10-03-15, 11:15 AM
SandyBeach
Driver School Candidate

Smile Condition of Fluid After 55k Miles

Lexmex, thanks for this great post. I just replaced both of my fluids for the second time. I have a 2000 RX300 all wheel drive. The last time I changed out these fluids was back in June 2011. The car has gone 55k miles between these fluid changes. Also, I used Royal Purple gear oil for both changes. Here is what I encountered on this last fluid change.

Rear Differential fluid change:
Like I stated earlier, I used Royal Purple gear oil the last time in June 2011. Before I get to the condition of the fluid, I wanted to remind everyone of this tip that I read from Lex. If you plan to jack up the rear of your car, make sure you have access to the fill plug by ensuring that the "pumpkin" shaped item or whatever its called is moved away from the fill plug. I originally just parked the car and had the car on jacks, then proceeded to go underneath the car to access this drain plug, but then realized that there wasn't enough clearance to gain access to the fill plug. So I had to take the car off the jacks and back up the car about a foot or so, that allowed the "pumpkin" shaped item to move back about 1-2 inches so I could gain access to the fill plug. Otherwise, you can't get a straight extension to line up with the fill plug....again, it's just a reminder that I forgot when I started this job.

Back to the condition of this fluid when I popped the drain plug. As soon as I loosened up the drain plug, the fluid that I replaced back in June 2011 came gushing out. I watched it carefully as it drained out and it looked brand spanking new, it was still clear purple like it came out of a brand new bottle, and it even smelled new. I was almost tempted to just close up the drain plug as soon as it came out so I didn't have to waste a new bottle, but I thought otherwise. My vehicle is all wheel drive, but I guess the rear diff doesn't get much use. Anyhow, it was nice to know that it was so clean, so the next time I may not need to change this fluid for 80k-100k miles.

Transfer Case fluid:

Again, the last time I replaced this fluid was June 2011. This fluid was a different story. It came out quite dark and a little smelly, but nothing that would make you throw up. I made sure to use some anti seize on the threads to make my next change a little easier, but overall, it wasn't too hard of a job. Thanks to Lexmex and others who posted all their tips on this site.

Cheers!
Old 10-03-15, 11:36 AM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

If you use RP or Redline, then dont bother changing the fluid for about 120K miles.

Salim
Old 01-10-16, 11:08 AM
Rudy602
Driver

I just changed the rear differential oil in my 2002 RX for the first time at 103K. There was slight dark residue on the drain plug but nothing serious. The oil looked like brand new. I'm replacing it with the Lucas 75-90 synthetic. I hope it works as well as what I drained out. The only thing I would note is how tight both the plugs were. I used a 1/2" breaker bar adapted down to 3/8" drive for the hex head socket and was surprised at how much effort it took to break them loose. Thanks to everyone for their input - it's always a great help.
Old 01-11-16, 08:15 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Rudy602
I just changed the rear differential oil in my 2002 RX for the first time at 103K. There was slight dark residue on the drain plug but nothing serious. The oil looked like brand new. I'm replacing it with the Lucas 75-90 synthetic. I hope it works as well as what I drained out. The only thing I would note is how tight both the plugs were. I used a 1/2" breaker bar adapted down to 3/8" drive for the hex head socket and was surprised at how much effort it took to break them loose. Thanks to everyone for their input - it's always a great help.
Over time, I have had to use the breaker bar less and less.
Old 06-05-16, 08:33 AM
Drcoffee
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Ive never been so confused as in this thread.

How many drain plugs are there? 4 or 5
Old 06-14-16, 08:43 AM
Drcoffee
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

I just did my fluid exchanges and the tranny was over filled by about 2" on the dipstick. I plan to drop the pan to replace the filter and see what kind of debris in the pan. But I wanted to share a tool tip for cheap DIYers like me. You can spend big money on specialty tools like dedicated allen wrenches for the socket wrench or just go buy an Allen wrench the size you need and cut off a leg for the tool to be used in your socket wrench. I painted mine yellow to make it easy to find in the tool box. Buy a quality allen wrench so it doesnt strip out but the cost difference is significant.

Last edited by Drcoffee; 06-14-16 at 08:56 AM.
Old 04-24-17, 12:30 PM
mroxas
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

My rear differential oil seal, both right and then left (PN# 9011-35032) were replaced years ago. Today, I notice drop on 75W90 on the floor, after inspection it is on the area of transfer case (#12 from this thread). Is there a seal that is also used on the transfer case ? what PN ? can somebody snip the diagram ? thank you, Mike
Old 04-28-17, 11:16 AM
mroxas
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

I have RX300 4WD (1998 June)...

Can someone confirm if these seals 04362-21020 / 04362-21030 are for the transfer case (that holds the 75W90 gear Oil) or for the front differential (that holds ATF) ?
How many labor hours to change these seals ? Thanks.

-Mike
Gasket Kit, Transfer Overhaul Make Sure These Fit
Attached Thumbnails Rear Differential & Transfer Case DIY-seal1.png   Rear Differential & Transfer Case DIY-seal2.png  
Old 04-30-17, 08:56 PM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Dr. Coffee, I know just what you mean. I have two RX300's, and I have to look up my notes every time I do this. The transmission has two drain plugs, one on the bottom and one on the passenger side near the bottom, located to the rear of the first one. A 10mm allen wrench is used for both of these. The front diff/transaxle has a drain plug and a fill plug. One is 27mm, the other is either 24 or 27 mm -- I think it's also 27. The rear diff has a drain plug and a fill plug, both requiring a 10mm allen wrench. The front diff plugs are sometimes a little challenging to get at and remove. As someone wise on this forum suggested, make sure you can loosen the fill plug before you start loosening the drain plug!!

Mike, I wish I could help you with your part numbers, but obviously you're more skilled than I am. That' something I wouldn't be able to tackle!
Old 09-04-18, 02:41 PM
DanMeyers1
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Is this still relevant to anyone?

I know this is a super old thread but I still have my '02 RX300 and do my own work. These forums have been a massive blessing to me in keeping my baby in tip-top at 144,000 miles. I spent two months researching how to change the rear differential and front transfer case gear oil. There is good info (from Lexmex and others) but it is not complete and there is also a massive amount of misinformation on changing these fluids properly. I have figured it out and would happy to fill in the important details to anyone looking to change their gear oil on 1st Gen RX300. Please tell me if you'd like me to share as there are many details I had to figure out with the help of a local Lexus mechanic. Also, there is serious misinformation on what is the transfer case and what is the differential in front. They are NOT interchangeable terms:

1) The FRONT DIFFERENTIAL works with the transmission and shares the Type IV fluid. You fill through the transmission fluid fill tube.

2) The TRANSFER CASE uses GL-5 or Amsoil 75W-90 gear oil.

3) The REAR DIFFERENTIAL uses GL-5 or Amsoil 75W-90 gear oil (the same oil used by the TRANSFER CASE).
The following 2 users liked this post by DanMeyers1:
Trexus (09-04-18), trhs75 (09-04-18)
Old 09-04-18, 06:09 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Feel free to add to it as it will be awhile before I do mine again.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear Differential & Transfer Case DIY