RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Ipod/XM Direct Radio Input for RX300

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-06, 05:38 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

I took a quick look at the mpss2 link. The product there does not address the the differential input requirements going into the pre-amp part of the head unit. The output is stereo but unipolar -> L, R and Ground. and not 4 outputs needed for Lexus system L+, L-, R+, R- and signGnd. One soltuion to create the negative phases is to use centertapped audio transformer.

The IS post has a cute baby and is pretty detailed. Unfortunately I could not figure out once again how the - phases are being formed. Is the relay driving the amp directly? The volume and tone controls of the head unit are being bypassed.

Salim
Old 04-22-06, 05:56 PM
tomv
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
The volume and tone controls of the head unit are being bypassed.
Salim
According to some other posts on the IS forum, the head unit still controls the volume.
Have you tried with the RX? It would be nice to be able to use a LineOut adapter on the iPod and not have to control the volume through it.
Old 04-23-06, 12:14 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by tomv
According to some other posts on the IS forum, the head unit still controls the volume.
Have you tried with the RX? It would be nice to be able to use a LineOut adapter on the iPod and not have to control the volume through it.
Then I fail to understand once again how these folks are getting the differential signal with switches (relays) only.

I have only added the interface circuit to my son's SC. I am not a ipod person myslef and neither is my wife, so we have not had the need to add the box to RX or GS. The basice setup of the requiremet of differential input is the same among these models. I have not studies the IS or the LS or LX.

On SC with the 12 disc changer in the trunk, my son has figured out a way, where he opens the cartidge as if to load, that disengages the cd drive while the head unit stays in CD mode. For RX and GS, I expect the cd will have to be running.

My undersatnding of audio terminology is:

Line level output: Signal strong enough to drive head phones/earpbuds. Signal level is adjusted by volume control. Older ipods had this. typ: phono jacks.

Pre-amp out: 1v signal but not strong enough to drive low impedence loads like headphones. This signal is before volume control typ RCA jack. With minurization ipod nanao has it in the docking plug.

Salim
Old 04-23-06, 10:02 AM
tomv
Driver

Your understanding seems correct.

The volume being controlled by the head unit in the IS is due to the way it's set up. The RX may or may not be similar..

Here's a response from the IS forum about the volume control question:

---------------------
Yes, it does. Everything is controlled by the amp via digital interface from stock headunit.*

* US Spec IS300. May not be the case for other markets with different CD changer.
---------------------
Old 04-23-06, 10:26 AM
tomv
Driver

I read through the SC430 post again and it seems that the volume controls the sound as well.

-------------------------

As Rocky indicated to me, the volume, fader, and other functions of the ML amplifier are controlled by other control wires in the harness. Substitution of another audio signal by splicing into the audio signal lines leaves the controls active. I can actually adjust balance, volume etc. normally on the head unit while listening to my injected audio signal. Once I build a suitable switching mechanism to transfer the four signal wires between the normal head unit output vs the mp3 player output, I should be able to simply set my switch to select the MP3 player and use the head unit controls as usual. The head unit will simply play its selected source, but the ML processor/amp will instead receive the line level signal of my MP3 player.

-------------------------
Old 11-24-07, 09:35 PM
oriveradel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default it works! easy ... rx300 2002

After doing lots of searching I found out there is NOT an aftermarket connector to add aux inputs, I own lexus 2002 no nav, with cd changer.
I cut a cable 3.5MM (1/8") STEREO PLUG CABLE, which has three cables, ground, right and left lines, ground is shared so I divided to connect it to both left - and right - on the connector from the car.

removed the glove compartment, on the right side you find the blue connector (see picture) from that connector you splice to connect using the diagram (see diagram). and I works like a charm, you can still use cd changer as well, just turn off xm radio, to listen to xm radio remove cds from changer.
By the way the heater filter is right in front you can take the chance to clean it or replace it.

enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails Ipod/XM Direct Radio Input for RX300-rx300-diagram.jpg  
Old 12-03-07, 10:35 AM
tlsmikey
Driver School Candidate

I have a question about this setup.

What determines the audio that is being played?

For example, using the connections above do you enable it using the CD player or the radio?

How do you keep from playing the CD and IPOD at the same time?

I want to hook up a connection for my wife's ipod on the 99 and this looks perfect.
Old 12-03-07, 10:48 AM
tomv
Driver

Originally Posted by tlsmikey

For example, using the connections above do you enable it using the CD player or the radio?

I want to hook up a connection for my wife's ipod on the 99 and this looks perfect.
Check out this thread.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=215793
There is a switch that will toggle where the sound comes from.
Old 12-28-07, 10:35 PM
gcrim21
Driver

For receiving XM Satellite radio in my 99' RX300, I purchased a 'Delphi' XM radio kit and receiver. It's GREAT!!!!!!
With the Delphi receiver it is portable and can be taken in the house and XM is received and played through our home sound system.
Old 01-04-08, 08:58 AM
oriveradel
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up playing either Cd or Sat

Originally Posted by tlsmikey

to Listen CD: Turn off sat radio, play cds.
to Listen Sat: remove cds from player, you will of course get error 2 on screen, but the signal is still fed Through, sounds great.

I did it for my wife's, since she got ipod, or sat. no need to play cds.
Old 01-07-08, 11:45 AM
knorrena
Driver School Candidate

What about this one?

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/soundauxlex.html

Sure the other solution is cheap and it works, but this appears to have some control over the ipod.

Karl
Old 01-07-08, 06:02 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by knorrena
What about this one?
Well, you are right that they claim it will work with any 2001 and newer RX300. Considering that everybody else selling this stuff says they won't work with an RX300 w/o NAV, I'm inclined to think that their claims are in error. How about telephoning them to confirm and letting us know how you make out?
Old 01-09-08, 01:56 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by knorrena
For what it's worth, I e-mailed them in this is their reply:

According to our information we have directly from the device manufacturer, the LEXPD2 will work in the '02 RX300, with or without navigation. We're sorry but we have no control over what other websites state on their website.

Technical Support
Logjam Electronics
techsupport@logjamelectronics.com
www.logjamelectronics.com
Old 07-09-10, 04:23 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I can't find the blue connector, I remember reading some where that the connector changed colors after a certain year. Can any one spot it out in the pictures, or tell me which color to look for?
Attached Thumbnails Ipod/XM Direct Radio Input for RX300-img_0039.jpg   Ipod/XM Direct Radio Input for RX300-img_0040.jpg  

Last edited by hypervish; 07-09-10 at 06:26 PM.