RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Ignition switch locked- 99-RX300

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-05, 08:46 AM
SPS1177
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition switch locked- 99-RX300

Wrong Lexus key inserted into ignition switch by mistake. It was not forced. Now, switch will not turn. I have read other threads, and have tried suggestions; turn steering wheel, rock vehicle, lub switch, etc., with no success. Attempting to avoid costly tow from remote location to dealer, who will probably replace ignition switch. How difficult is it to remove ignition switch, and have a locksmith repair switch? I know the dealer will not go for repair, but will immediately replace the costly switch. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-01-05, 05:53 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Although I have put the wrong car key in couple of times, I ran into no problems.

The steering lock, really plays a part when the steering wheel is turned, or the steering wheel was already turned when the key was pulled out. If the steering was set straight and no one (specially kids pretending to drive) turned it .. it should be a non-issue.

It seems that the ignition switch broke. Call an auto locksmith (your dealer may even suggest a name) and that can save you towing charges.

note: try using the duplicate/valet key. Unlikely but you never know.

Salim
Old 12-02-05, 07:29 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
Although I have put the wrong car key in couple of times, I ran into no problems.

The steering lock, really plays a part when the steering wheel is turned, or the steering wheel was already turned when the key was pulled out. If the steering was set straight and no one (specially kids pretending to drive) turned it .. it should be a non-issue.

It seems that the ignition switch broke. Call an auto locksmith (your dealer may even suggest a name) and that can save you towing charges.

note: try using the duplicate/valet key. Unlikely but you never know.

Salim
LOL. That happened to me. One of my grandkids was playing driver and had pulled on the steering wheel while the car was in the garage. I went out to start it and couldn't turn the key. I thought something was broke in the ignition switch. The dealer told me to go out and insert the key, Pull hard on the steering wheel first in one direction while turning the key and if that didn't work pull in the other direction while turning the key. I had to pull pretty hard but then it unlocked the ignition. Apparently this is a safety feature of some sort.
Old 12-02-05, 09:57 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by jfelbab
LOL. That happened to me. One of my grandkids was playing driver and had pulled on the steering wheel while the car was in the garage. I went out to start it and couldn't turn the key. I thought something was broke in the ignition switch. The dealer told me to go out and insert the key, Pull hard on the steering wheel first in one direction while turning the key and if that didn't work pull in the other direction while turning the key. I had to pull pretty hard but then it unlocked the ignition. Apparently this is a safety feature of some sort.
Steering lock was one of the early theft deterrent system. I may be showing my age when I say remember the time when theifs would hot wire the cars [all it needed was disconnect kill to the ditributor and jump the starter relay]

So the cars can still be hot wired but they will only go straight

Salim
[my apologies to the thread starter for getting off topic]
Old 12-03-05, 07:52 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a common problem with the RX after inserting the wrong key. The dealers solution is to replace all the locks (very expensive). Just do a search here for "wrong key" for all the info.
Old 12-04-05, 10:13 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by mikey00
This is a common problem with the RX after inserting the wrong key. The dealers solution is to replace all the locks (very expensive). Just do a search here for "wrong key" for all the info.
Is it only limited to RX? The GS and SC {for sure) have the same or atleast similar switch so it out to be a common problem among all Lexus ... unless RX owners use the wrong key more often

Salim
Old 12-05-05, 10:28 AM
SPS1177
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locked Ignition Switch 99-RX300

Well, bit the bullet, and had the vehicle towed to the dealer. Spoke to several locksmiths in the LA area, and few were qualified. No one would look at the switch unless it was out of the vehicle. The dealer was finally able to turn the switch after cranking on the steering wheel for about 5 minutes, but it relocked again. I had tried that for over 30 minutes, with no success. They replaced the switch and the ignition sleeve. Total cost - $812. They said it was a very common among Lexus vehicles, and they had seen the same problem occur in vehicles with less than 15,000 miles. It is considered one of the few weak links with Lexas. Thanks for all your suggestions.
Old 12-05-05, 01:38 PM
salimshah

Costly, but it is fixed.

May I suggest a dumb (irksome for sure) way of preventing this to happen again... Just lock your vehicles. This will force you to use the right key to open the door lock (if you are like me 99.9% of the time I use the remote fuction).

A less painful method would be to form a habit to use the remote to unlock and hear the right vehicle respond.

[The new Lexus will not suffer from this problem as the the ignition start is now with a push of a button. ... I dont know if they have a steering lock any more]

Salim