RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

RX300 Brake Bleeder Screw Replacement DIY

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-16, 09:27 AM
hsmac
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by salimshah
One of the classic (slow) way to bleed the system is to let gravity do the work. Please look it up.

People have their own favorite, I would replace the hose with the stainless type way before replacing the bleeder screw.

Just make sure the master is full and does not drop below 1/3. Remove the the bleeder and put in the the new bleeder. Put a pedal travel limiter and pump the brakes and hold (and let it sink-and only let it up after the bleeder is shut) while the person below opens the bleeder to remove the air in the bleeder channel.

The air get introduced if the master runs out of fluid and you pump air down the tubes or when the pedal moves up and there is an opening (leak) in the hydraulic loop [bleeder open]. The upward pedal motion produces suction.

Salim
so would it be ok then if some air gets into the line while bleeding (whether it be from removing the screw or a slight suction from allowing the pedal to release if not done precisely), as long as the air is ultimately bled back out? air would have to travel pretty far back into the system before it can't be bled back out?

i remember you commenting before how you don't recommend using vacuum bleeders. any specific reason?
Old 12-30-16, 01:00 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by hsmac
so would it be ok then if some air gets into the line while bleeding (whether it be from removing the screw or a slight suction from allowing the pedal to release if not done precisely), as long as the air is ultimately bled back out? air would have to travel pretty far back into the system before it can't be bled back out?

i remember you commenting before how you don't recommend using vacuum bleeders. any specific reason?
i know your question was directed to Salim but i personally do not like using the vacuum bleeder because it can be messy. Once the bleeder nipple is loosened an air leak can form around the threads making it difficult to pull a vacuum. Some methods around that,include removing the nipple and wrapping the threads in teflon tape, others will try a heavy grease on the threads to help make a seal. Perhaps Salim has a similar or additional reason.
Old 12-30-16, 06:17 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

I have never tried vacuum assist bleeding, so I have no first hand experience. Very recently I build the bleeder kit tube and bottle :^) .

2 people bleeding is what I have always done. Never had a mishap [accidental movement of pedal] with teenager kids.

Technically, I am impressed by low pressure form top (master cylinder) set up. [again no first hand experience].

Salim