RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

RX300 Brake Bleeder Screw Replacement DIY

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-06, 10:52 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Zeckhausen is a knownable guy. Thanks for sharing the link. I also read his article on balanced brake bias and it is good stuff.
One thing he listed as negative is that the rubber boot leaks, I don't have that problem. I have a good rubber boot connected between the clear plastic tube and the bleeder screw, the seal is good and there is no leak when I keep it on the bleeder screw. When flushing all old fluid out, even if the valve allow tiny bit of fluid sucked back in because the valve needs small amount of time to close, it is old fluid, not air being sucked back.
I do find it is harder to tell when bubbles clears with just one man, just ask your gf or wife to watch color change (ATE superblue has two colors, gold and blue to alternate between blushes) and bubbles clear. Sure there are better pressure and vaccuum bleeding equipement. If you own a shop like David, definitely use them. But 99% of people don't have access to these expensive equipments or have to pay $ to use them.
Have to agree that flushing is better than no flushing!

Last edited by TunedRX300; 02-06-06 at 12:07 AM.
Old 03-12-07, 10:07 AM
p1fcl01
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
Pop the hood and twist the brake fluid reservior open, add new brake fluid, don't let it dip below low level when you bleed.
Did you remember how much fluid it took for the whole flushed bled job, oz or whole litre? Thanks
Old 03-13-07, 02:42 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
Flush takes one liter.

Quoting reply that I had to delete due to forum date/time stamp problem.
Old 09-05-07, 11:24 AM
rx300s415
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am just a little bit unclear on one thing here. Does the 1L of SuperBlue satisfy bleeding all 4 calipers or do I need to order more of the good stuff?
Old 09-05-07, 10:40 PM
rx300s415
Driver

Anybody? Sorry, just wanted to bump.
Old 09-05-07, 10:56 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Flushing means replace all brake fluid, bleeding just a portion. So it takes max of one liter since bleeding by definition takes less than flushing.
Old 12-02-08, 04:08 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Fern
Hey Tunedrx300

I thought I would share this link with everyone (without the intention of swaying the crowd one way or the other).

Just as a FYI and take it for what its worth.

David Zeckhausen is well known in BMW circles for his knowledge of clutch and brake hydraulic mechanisms and high performance applications.

here is a link to what he says about various brake bleeding processes.

http://www.bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/b...ol/bleeder.htm

I think, to bleed brake fluid regardless of the method is always better than to let it sit there, even if you use the process that I saw on a Subaru forum once... (one guy would sifon out with a turkey baster and replenish every couple of trips until he went through 1 bottle of fluid)
Although I don't know what its doing for the rusty fluid and air bubbles sitting in the caliper.

Cheers,
Fern
I like to replace brake fluid every two years. I remove calipers and compress the piston to remove that fluid first before I use a vacuum bleeder. This isn't an extra step for me because I have found that the caliper slide pins also need to be cleaned/lubed every two years.
Old 12-03-08, 01:56 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by artbuc
I like to replace brake fluid every two years. I remove calipers and compress the piston to remove that fluid first before I use a vacuum bleeder. This isn't an extra step for me because I have found that the caliper slide pins also need to be cleaned/lubed every two years.
That's great maintenance Artbuc, reminds me, I need to go do that to both of the vehicles.
Old 12-06-08, 04:25 PM
Nickv
Rookie

Ok, good info. Now my beginner's issue. My 2000 RX300 is 8 years old, but only has like 65,000 miles on it. All maintenance done by Lexus according to their schedule. Does that mean that my brakes have, or have not, ever been flushed? Should I be doing that now or when? My brakes work fine and have never needed even new pads according to the Lexus mechanics.
Nick
Old 12-06-08, 06:28 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickv
All maintenance done by Lexus according to their schedule. Does that mean that my brakes have, or have not, ever been flushed?
Well, it depends on whether on not you mean the Lexus maintenance schedule or your dealer's maintenance schedule. The Lexus Owner's Manual calls for replacing the brake fluid every 2 years or 30,000 miles, as I recall. My RX300 is almost exactly the same age and mileage. I replace the brake fluid every 2 years.
Old 08-15-09, 06:42 AM
Adde666
Driver School Candidate

Whats the size for bleeders front and rear? length?
and how many there is?
Old 08-15-09, 10:13 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

SB7100 I used has thread size M7 X 1.0, length 35.15mm, one bleeder screw for each caliper. check out the web site I provided for more details.
Old 10-08-10, 12:10 PM
asd123
Driver School Candidate

1. Add brake fluid to the Motive Power Brake Bleeder tank.

2. Firmly connect the supplied adapter to brake master cylinder and pump the Motive Power Brake Bleeder to pressurize.

3. Starting with the furthest away brake bleeder valve (typically on the rear of the vehicle), open brake bleeder valve and purge the air and old brake fluid from your brake system.

For more info visit: http://www.buybrakes.com/motive
Old 10-08-10, 01:07 PM
lexina
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great diy, thanks for sharing. I used the same speedbleeder valve, but used only one speedbleeder for bleeding. I used a clear tube, one end plugs into the veh bleeder, the other end plugs into the speedbleeder. Unplug it when done, and plug it on the next veh bleeder. save it and use it on any car for bleeding.
Old 10-23-10, 01:06 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Just did mine with speedbleeders. Took maybe 1 1/2 hours if that, taking my time and doing them by myself. Definitely only need one can of ATE fluid to flush the system. I did my MDX yesterday and was one splash short of doing both cars with one can, if I had not given it a few extra pumps after the color changed I would have made it. Did not need to jack up the car or take off the wheels. I did cut the front wheels to the side to make it easier. Very easy job, very little mess. I used the IV bag that they sell to catch the old fluid. It seemed pretty expensive for what it was when I bought it. After using it, it is worth every penny. The hose is silicone and super rubbery. It stays on the bleeder with no worries that it will pop off and let fluid go everywhere. The IV bag can just be laid on the floor and will not leak a drop. If you are on the fence just go ahead and do them, they are easy.

Quick Reply: RX300 Brake Bleeder Screw Replacement DIY