RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Best Brake Pads for RX300

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-05, 09:18 AM
vinster29
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Best Brake Pads for RX300

I have a 99 RX300 that needs new front brake pads. I was told that ceramic brake pads are best for the RX300. I was just wondering what are the best brake pads for the RX300? What brands are best and what advantages do ceramic brake pads have vs. regular brake pads? Any help would be appreciated. thanks
Old 09-15-05, 02:27 PM
vuvision
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've replaced two sets of pads on my wife's RX300 with Akebono ProACT Ceramic Pads. Easy on the rotors & low dust. I didn't even have to resurface the rotors the second time around, they were still as smooth as glass.

Got them from tirerack.
Old 09-15-05, 02:45 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have Akebono as well, ceramic is great. I believe Lexus switched to OEM pads to ceramic about 01-02. If you go to www.tirerack.com, you will see this message "NOTE: Ceramic pad material is recommended by the vehicle manufacturer and may have been supplied as Original Equipment. Replacing ceramic brake pads with pads of any other material may result in more brake dust or increased brake-related noise than originally installed pads."
But I can tell my 00 has semi-metallic pads came with the car since dusts are black. Akebono ceramic has much lighter color (yellowish) brake dusts.
www.rockauto.com has better price than tirerack, you can always google 5% coupon on internet. Pick your RX model and year, you will see Akebono is labeled as "OE pads" at rockauto

Last edited by TunedRX300; 09-15-05 at 02:49 PM.
Old 09-15-05, 06:33 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by vinster29
I have a 99 RX300 that needs new front brake pads. I was told that ceramic brake pads are best for the RX300. I was just wondering what are the best brake pads for the RX300? What brands are best and what advantages do ceramic brake pads have vs. regular brake pads? Any help would be appreciated. thanks
ceramics tend to go though ur rotors faster but leave less brake dust
semi metalic have more dust but less wear on rotors.

so what ever u want to do
Old 09-15-05, 07:05 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by koolaidman
ceramics tend to go though ur rotors faster but leave less brake dust
semi metalic have more dust but less wear on rotors.

so what ever u want to do
so which ones are better on the rotor? the other guy says ceramic but you say semi-metallic
Old 09-15-05, 07:19 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by sha4000
so which ones are better on the rotor? the other guy says ceramic but you say semi-metallic
The OEM Toyota/Lexus pads are actually the best in my opinion. No worries of brake squeal or warped rotors.
Old 09-15-05, 07:30 PM
vuvision
Driver School Candidate

koolaidman got it backward, it's the other way around. Some light reading from Tirerack below. I use only ceramic pads In all my vehicles MB & Lexus alike.

Why Ceramic Brake Pad?

We want our vehicle's brake system to offer smooth, quiet braking capabilities under a wide range of temperature and road conditions. We don't want brake-generated noise and dust annoying us during our daily driving.

To accommodate this, brake friction materials have evolved significantly over the years. They've gone from asbestos to organic to semi-metallic formulations. Each of these materials has proven to have advantages and disadvantages regarding environmental friendliness, wear, noise and stopping capability.

Asbestos pads caused health issues and organic compounds can't always meet a wide range of braking requirements. Unfortunately the steel strands used in semi-metallic pads to provide strength and conduct heat away from rotors also generate noise and are abrasive enough to increase rotor wear.
Since they were first used on a few original equipment applications in 1985, friction materials that contain ceramic formulations have become recognized for their desirable blend of traits. These pads use ceramic compounds and copper fibers in place of the semi-metallic pad's steel fibers. This allows the ceramic pads to handle high brake temperatures with less heat fade, provide faster recovery after the stop, and generate less dust and wear on both the pads and rotors. And from a comfort standpoint, ceramic compounds provide much quieter braking because the ceramic compound helps dampen noise by generating a frequency beyond the human hearing range.

Another characteristic that makes ceramic materials attractive is the absence of noticeable dust. All brake pads produce dust as they wear. The ingredients in ceramic compounds produce a light colored dust that is much less noticeable and less likely to stick to the wheels. Consequently, wheels and tires maintain a cleaner appearance longer.

Ceramic pads meet or exceed all original equipment standards for durability, stopping distance and noise. According to durability tests, ceramic compounds extend brake life compared to most other semi-metallic and organic materials and outlast other premium pad materials by a significant margin – with no sacrifice in noise control, pad life or braking performance.
This is quite an improvement over organic and semi-metallic brake materials that typically sacrifice pad life to reduce noise, or vice versa.

Last edited by vuvision; 09-15-05 at 07:37 PM.
Old 09-15-05, 08:10 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Vuvision is right.
Read this link http://www.babcox.com/editorial/bf/bf30322.htm and you will discover that Japanese has been using ceramic pads for years. Here is a quote:

"Back in the 1980s most automakers were using semi-metallic pads on their front-wheel drive cars. Semi-metallic friction materials containing chopped steel fibers were, and still are, a popular choice for high-temperature, hard-use braking applications. But, because of their high steel content, semi-metallic compounds tend to be harsh, noisy and hard on rotors. Brake suppliers also developed a variety of nonasbestos organic (NAO) compounds, but NAOs are better suited for low-temperature applications and drum brakes. Something else was needed as an alternative to semi-mets.

Enter Akebono, an OEM brake supplier to most of the Japanese automakers. Akebono pioneered the development of ceramic-based friction materials back in 1985, and began to market their ceramic linings to a growing list of vehicle manufacturers in Asia and North America. Today, Akebono supplies most of the Japanese transplant manufacturers in the U.S as well as Ford (Taurus up to model year 2002, and the new Ford Explorer), GM trucks and Saturn. Akebono also has an aftermarket product line that is marketed under the ProACT banner (ACT stands for Akebono Ceramic Technology)."

I found out from another site www.speedyperformanceparts.com that Akebono is the OEM supplier for Lexus RX300's OEM ceramic pads. Just pick your RX model and "OEM pads" will come next to Akebono. Now, you have to wonder why Lexus choose another supplier to give us crappy semi-metallic pads for 99-00 years.

Last edited by TunedRX300; 09-15-05 at 08:16 PM.
Old 09-15-05, 09:33 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Toyota OEM pads are organic, which is the best on rotor wear. These were the original pads that came with my 2002 RX300...

Until my rotors warped (due to overtighten lug nuts at the 30K service,) then Lexus replaced my rotors and pads free of charge. These are apparently semi-metallic pads. They had tons of dust when brand new. They also occasionally make screeching noise, which never happened with the goo' ol' organic pads. I also start seeing scratch marks on the rotor surface.

Ceramic pads? Only serious racers should use that. They have better heat dissipation characteristic, but they will eat through rotors like Liz Taylor went through husbands.

The choice is yours, but I'd stick with Toyota's OEM pads.
Old 09-16-05, 05:30 AM
jmezo
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got over 72K Mi on my 2000 RX stock pads. What more can you ask for?
Old 09-16-05, 07:11 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

I have been using OEM Lexus pads. I remember another post where somebody noticed a price difference between older style Lexus pads and newer ones. I noticed that few years ago the pads took a different color and design than ones I had been using before.

I use them at the drag strip without problem. They lasted a lot longer than in my experiments with EBC Greenstuffs and Hawk Performance Pads.
The following users liked this post:
LA4Mead (07-13-18)
Old 09-16-05, 09:45 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

thanks to everyone but it seems like you guys cant really agree. i plan on getting slotted cross drilled rotors front and back which are pretty expensive and i dont want to use any pad that would shorten its life prematurely
Old 09-16-05, 09:47 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by HarrierAWD
Toyota OEM pads are organic, which is the best on rotor wear. These were the original pads that came with my 2002 RX300...

Until my rotors warped (due to overtighten lug nuts at the 30K service,) then Lexus replaced my rotors and pads free of charge. These are apparently semi-metallic pads. They had tons of dust when brand new. They also occasionally make screeching noise, which never happened with the goo' ol' organic pads. I also start seeing scratch marks on the rotor surface.

Ceramic pads? Only serious racers should use that. They have better heat dissipation characteristic, but they will eat through rotors like Liz Taylor went through husbands.

The choice is yours, but I'd stick with Toyota's OEM pads.
Harrier, JDM has been using ceramic pads for years. I hope you don't confuse ceramic brake rotor with ceramic pads, they are different animals. Organic pads have been out of favor for a long time because they do not handle high temperature well. Read the link I provided, it is very helpful.
Old 09-16-05, 10:03 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

thanks to everyone but it seems like you guys cant really agree. i plan on getting slotted cross drilled rotors front and back which are pretty expensive and i dont want to use any pad that would shorten its life prematurely
That is because ceramic is new to US even though it is a better technology and have been used in Japanese Domestic Market for years. Acura also switched from semi-metallic to ceramic as OEM pads in 2001 for 2nd generation TL. Most people do not care nor know the difference but they know semi-metallic for years, by default semi-metallic is the choice even though many care came with ceramic pads after 2001-02.
Newer technology always needs adoption time, but no one is using organic or asbestos or organic pads for disc brakes anymore because these older technologies have severe drawbacks (health and not handling high temp well) and are replaced by newer technologies.
You can sense skeptic reaction from members of this forum even though I posted two online retailers that list Akebono is the OEM pads and they are ceramic. It is understandable but if you really want to find out what material is used by today's Lexus OEM pads, check out these links yourself. If in doubt, call Lexus parts and ask them what kind of pads they have for 05-06 cars.

Last edited by TunedRX300; 09-16-05 at 11:19 AM.
Old 09-16-05, 06:52 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ROFL!

Every once a while, somebody comes along as the authorative expert that puts everybody else's opinion down. For a brake pad to be good, it must have a fancy name with new material. Well, many Toyota/Lexus part depts. have displays comparing the OEM organic pads vs. aftermarket semi-metallic pads. Go take a look.

I'd stick with my Toyota OEM organic pads, just wish I could have my old pads back. The new semi-metallic pads on my RX300 isn't as good as the old tech organic pads. They screech when wet. My old pads never made a sound.

Ceramic pads? I'll pass. I don't want to have my rotors resurfaced / replaced every 3 years. Thanks for the good laugh though.

Quick Reply: Best Brake Pads for RX300