RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Timing belt RX300

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-05, 07:57 PM
lexy696
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing belt RX300

Has anyone every changed the timing belt on a 2000 RX300? I know it's recommended at 90000 miles...mine is at 85k. So looking for information on how to change it myself. What is the difficulty level? Appreciate any input...thanks.
Old 06-19-05, 07:59 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

welcome to CL

you posted int he wrong forum

heres where you want to go

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-models-9/
Old 06-22-05, 06:51 PM
lexy696
Driver School Candidate

Default oops

Thanks for the top. I am new to this computer forum chatting stuff. How do I move a "new thread" to the proper area (like you were able to do) b/c I just posted another question and it ended up in a catergory by itself again? Im trying to put it in the RX300 forum area? Thanks again, Lexy696
Old 06-23-05, 05:04 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

The last time I changed the timing belt was on an Accord. By the time I finished, I swore, I will not replace a timing belt on a transverse mounted engine. RX is a v6 on top. The cost saving of $400 or so looks very tempting but keep in mind the factory spray finished engine bolts require more torque to open. My hands are too big to squeeze into the tiny areas and still hold on the socket-drive. Changing the darn oil filter in RX is my limit.

My advice, for the first timing belt change, take it to a mechanic. I dont want to discourage you tottaly, but do not embark on the replacement by just reading how-to. Establish the most difficult step and visualize and test if you will be able to do it.

Salim
[DIY word of wisdom: check you can open the filler, before you open the drain plug ]
Old 06-28-05, 01:15 PM
mmahamm
Driver

Originally Posted by salimshah
My advice, for the first timing belt change, take it to a mechanic.
Agree wholeheartedly. Take it to a trusted mechanic who can get you good parts at good prices. When I had mine done, it was surprisingly inexpensive, about half what I think I would have paid at the Lexus dealer.
Old 06-29-05, 05:26 PM
lexy696
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the tip. I've heard that the timing belt is the last thing I should have to worry about? That they last longer than 90,000 miles, what is your opinion? Thanks.

The last time I changed the timing belt was on an Accord. By the time I finished, I swore, I will not replace a timing belt on a transverse mounted engine. RX is a v6 on top. The cost saving of $400 or so looks very tempting but keep in mind the factory spray finished engine bolts require more torque to open. My hands are too big to squeeze into the tiny areas and still hold on the socket-drive. Changing the darn oil filter in RX is my limit.

My advice, for the first timing belt change, take it to a mechanic. I dont want to discourage you tottaly, but do not embark on the replacement by just reading how-to. Establish the most difficult step and visualize and test if you will be able to do it.

Salim
[DIY word of wisdom: check you can open the filler, before you open the drain plug ]
Old 06-29-05, 11:41 PM
salimshah

I had mine replaced at 90K and would reccomend to do the same to others.

Salim
Old 06-30-05, 12:54 PM
81corolla
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had mine replaced at 90K and would reccomend to do the same to others.

Salim
Not to get too off topic Salim, but did you get your water pump replaced also at 90K?
What else is worth replacing when it's apart like that?
Old 07-01-05, 07:39 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by OKmechanic
Not to get too off topic Salim, but did you get your water pump replaced also at 90K?
What else is worth replacing when it's apart like that?
For various other reasons [extended warranty .. i am playing odds.... lets not go there as it will totally hijack the thread] I opted not to replace the water pump. I did try to get info as to what is the life expectancy of water-pump and got no where. Lexus/Toyota does not list this item to be replaced as preventive mainatenance, although it might make $ense to replace it when you have the thing open.

Salim
Old 07-03-05, 11:12 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

70-90k is a good point to replace your timing belt. Replacing the water pump at 90k isn't necessary unless you neglected to have your radiator flush done on a regular interval.
Old 07-04-05, 06:30 PM
redtoesblue
Driver

I don't think you have to worry too much about the Timing belt. I haven't done mine, and the mileage on mine is 160,000 no problems as of yet.
Old 07-04-05, 11:47 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by redtoesblue
I don't think you have to worry too much about the Timing belt. I haven't done mine, and the mileage on mine is 160,000 no problems as of yet.
I guess 160,000 is miles? If so good for you. For the rest of us, we will keep wondering if you are an exception or not.

Other things that the rest of us need to keep in mind are:

1. How extensive is the damage caused by a broken timing belt?
2. How inconvinient is to have a belt break on you at an unoppertune time & location?

Salim
Old 07-05-05, 01:00 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Be careful. Your 1MZ-FE V6 is a VVT-i motor which is interference design. If your belt breaks, you have a good chance of ruining your valvetrain, cam gears and etc. You're asking for trouble.
Old 07-05-05, 07:40 AM
mmahamm
Driver

You are driving on borrowed time. Have it changed by an independent, trusted mechanic. You may be surprised that it is relatively inexpensive. Cheaper than replacing the spark plugs, but that is for another thread...
Old 07-05-05, 11:44 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default My service advisors says..

I actually discussed the timing belt with my Lexus service advisort this morning. He told me that the RX timing belt should be replace no later than 120k miles. He recommened the change at 100k.

I'm not sure how difficult it is on these cars, but I'd guess it's not a fun painless experience. There is limited room in the RX engine bay. If you've got the right tools and a shop manual, go for it!

Cheers.

Quick Reply: Timing belt RX300