RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Michelin Sale

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-05, 08:51 PM
steevr
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Michelin Sale

For those of you getting ready to put Cross Terrains on your RX300's, now's the time. I just got a Costco "Passport to Savings" flyer in the mail today and it has a coupon for $60 off when you buy 4 Michelin tires. I got my Cross Terrains back in January when they had their last sale and they Michelins are better in every way than the OEM Bridgestones.

Sale dates are June 6 - June 26.
Old 05-25-05, 09:38 PM
Jeff92se
Driver

We got 60k out of our Michelin Integritys. Never had a problem with them. But I note they were a passenger tire. After alot of research, I ended up putting on the Yokohama Geolanders ht-s g051s http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....r+H%2FT-S+G051. Very highly rated at tirerack. A tad louder though. But to be expected. The other tire I considered was the BFG Radial Long Trail TA http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ng+Trail+T%2FA
Old 05-26-05, 03:37 AM
Dbl400Trbl
Rookie

Default I thought GoodYear makes the Integrity tires?

Anywho - I have 4 Integrity bs tires that came with my FWD 00' RX and say they are a soft ride and seem ok in the rain. In the snow may be a diff. story, but JustTires didn;t rate them as horribly as others here have made them sound. What was the price for the Michelin Cross-Terrains with the Costco discount for 4?

The more I hear on this thread, the Cross Terrains are the ticket..
Old 05-26-05, 08:43 AM
Jeff92se
Driver

Oops. Yes Goodyear. The x-terrains are nice. But more expensive than my other researched choices. But also very highly rated at tirerack.

I ran the Integraty tires in the snow a few times. Performed just fine IMHO. But tirerack's rating of them is pretty low. Based on that, I switched to the Yokohamas.
Old 05-26-05, 01:47 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I still have the Integrity. It's not good on snow or ice. I'm glad that I survived this past winter. I will have to replace them before the next winter.

Unfortunately there isn't any good replacement tire that meets all my requirement. I am waiting for the next November issue of CR. Hope there will be a great tire. If I have to replace my tires now, I'd go for Dayton Timberline HT. Not that it excels in anything, it just didn't do anything poorly according to CR's rating.
Old 05-27-05, 09:44 PM
Dbl400Trbl
Rookie

Default No snow please!

Thanks all for your comments. I'll probably try-out the Integritys in the snow one season, hoping my cheapness doesn't cost me a fender or two...These tires have great tread so I'll take a chance. My RX is FWD only so tires are a little more critical than most of you with 4X4 traction. My Jeep runs decent tires (GoodYear brand?) but that truck slides all over the road in snow imo so I can't see things being too much worse and I always have the option of staying the hell home, which is the best option with the way people drive around here in the DC/Metro area.

If compelled to change them out, I'll proabably go with the Cross Terrains which look from the overall opinion here, like the best tire for the buck. I've seen them for $130-140/piece at some places so not a ridiculous expense imo for your safety. Anyone have links to Cons. Reports Tire ratings from last year? Thanks all for your valued input.

KF

Originally Posted by HarrierAWD
I still have the Integrity. It's not good on snow or ice. I'm glad that I survived this past winter. I will have to replace them before the next winter.

Unfortunately there isn't any good replacement tire that meets all my requirement. I am waiting for the next November issue of CR. Hope there will be a great tire. If I have to replace my tires now, I'd go for Dayton Timberline HT. Not that it excels in anything, it just didn't do anything poorly according to CR's rating.

Last edited by Dbl400Trbl; 05-30-05 at 09:07 PM.
Old 05-28-05, 05:31 PM
steevr
Pole Position

I went through 2 winters with the OEM Bridgestones and finally got sick of sliding all over the place in the snow especially starting from a dead stop. The RX didn't even feel like it was AWD with VSC. I finally chucked them in Janaury with 33k on them in favor of the X Terrains. What a difference it made during the next snow. I could stomp and the gas and all 4 tires just hooked up and went. Now with the nice weather here, they are extremely smooth riding and quiet.
Old 05-29-05, 12:13 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow $130-$140 for a wear & tear part. Yoko Geolander is only $77 per, last october Tire Rack has a gift card of $75 for a set of 4. Understand everyone has personal preference, but any tire won't stand a chance against a nail on the road. Just my $0.02.
Old 06-01-05, 02:57 PM
Jeff92se
Driver

Just a note. TR's price is good. Especially with the $75 card. But remember that doesn't include mounting/balancing. Which should add another $30-$35 per wheel (with road hazard). Also take a look at TR's warranty. You have to take it to some tire place, have then inspect it, pay for another one, I believe send the tire back (not sure) and then you get reinbursed later. Too much hassle when you can deal Discount Tire down $5-$15 per tire and they will rotate and handle warranty issues on the spot. When you consider this, the price difference is almost nil.

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
Wow $130-$140 for a wear & tear part. Yoko Geolander is only $77 per, last october Tire Rack has a gift card of $75 for a set of 4. Understand everyone has personal preference, but any tire won't stand a chance against a nail on the road. Just my $0.02.
Old 06-01-05, 05:14 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Warranty replacement is an issue with any online shop. But I would trade that with far more tire selections and better prices. I also like to select my own tire shop from TR's online feedback and ratings. This is how I found a tire shop that hand torque my wheel lugs and charges only $16 per tire, inlcuding disposal, balancing and mounting.
I don't go to shops that use impact wrench since over-torqueing wheel lugs is one of major causes to warp brake rotors.
Tire Rack's price is so good that I don't buy road hazard, which normally cover only 36 months. I would use that $ to buy one replacement Yoko Geolander if one is blown and can't be repaired and pocket the $ if no blowouts. With Michelin's price, I would think most owner want road hazard to protect close to $600 of investment, whether at Discount Tire or Cosco. Just with any insurance, the premium increases as assets' value - in this case tire price - increases. I am not sure I want to spend that much on rubbers (as finely engineered as they are) that could be punctured and blown up at any time when the SUV is on the road. Again, that is just me.

Last edited by TunedRX300; 06-01-05 at 10:55 PM.
Old 06-02-05, 03:57 PM
Jeff92se
Driver

Well sure. I'm glad that arrangement works out for you. But "better prices" is sorta misleading. I don't think everyone here can get tires mounted/balanced for only $16 per tire.

But this is for my wife's car. So the road hazard is mandatory. I don't want to shell out another $100 for another tire. Plus she can go to any Discount Tire and get the tires warrantied etc....