RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

RX in our future: Which Year is Best?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-05, 03:55 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RX in our future: Which Year is Best?

We are looking at getting an RX in the VERY near future. Can some RX owners chime in and tell me which year is best and why?

Thanks in advance.

Please feel free to post photos!

//Darius
Old 05-17-05, 04:07 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a 2002 RX300, so I am gonna say 2002 is the best model year. You should see some 2002 lease returns readily available at your dealer.

It's been extremely reliable since it's been out since 1997 (as Toyota Harrier,) the manufacturing process was obviously very mature by 2002. The vehicle is very well put together, better than any other cars that I've seen.

The 2002 has the outstanding 240-watt stereo by Pioneer. The 2001 has the so-so Nakamichi system (filed for bankruptcy back then so Lexus dropped it, though still in business.) The 2003 has the over-hyped Mark Levinson option. Also the 2002's Nav system has a much faster CPU than 2001, so it calculates route about twice as fast.

The only downside of the 2002 is that there's no power switch for the tranny (for better acceleration with delayed upshift.) I think it was deleted back in 2000.

The new 2004/2005 RX330 has some quality issues that need to be worked out, based on Consumer Report owner survey and ClubLexus postings.
Old 05-17-05, 06:04 PM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This thread discusses some of the changes from 99 to 00 to 01. The "second generation" RX300, if you can call it that - it's not that major - came out in 2001.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=160110

Harrier mentions the Pioneer stereo... I think that's the "standard" model in all years. (The standard stereo is made by Pioneer, but I don't know the exact specs on it.) The fancy-brand stereos - Nakamichi and Mark Levinson - really aren't worth the money unless you're a true audiophile.

The RX300, in all years, has proven to be a very reliable vehicle. Just make sure to get some background on the maintenance record. If the owner neglected changing the oil, the engine developed a strage sludge problem.

The RX330 has had some issues... it was a brand new design for 2004, and it's had more than its share of rattles and quirky shifting in the trans. Still, the RX330 is a nice car, too, and it's got a few more toys available than the 300 had.

Personally, I'd pick either an 01-03 RX300 or a new 05 RX330.
Old 05-17-05, 06:05 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Darius2010
We are looking at getting an RX in the VERY near future. Can some RX owners chime in and tell me which year is best and why?

Thanks in advance.

Please feel free to post photos!

//Darius
If you are interested in the new 400h, buy next year's model - let other people be guinea pigs

Last edited by TunedRX300; 05-23-05 at 02:30 PM.
Old 05-17-05, 06:27 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rxdriver
Harrier mentions the Pioneer stereo... I think that's the "standard" model in all years. (The standard stereo is made by Pioneer, but I don't know the exact specs on it.) The fancy-brand stereos - Nakamichi and Mark Levinson - really aren't worth the money unless you're a true audiophile.
The standard audio was a wimpy 110-watt system. Not sure if it is also Pioneer, might be JBL.
Old 05-17-05, 06:52 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Thanks! This is why I love CL!

So it sounds like 2002-2003 are the best years and since I will probably be changing out the speakers for aftermarket, adding a small amp and splicing a DVD player into the NAv system, I won't take the audio into consideration when making a decision.

What about suspension. I don't plan to lower it or put rims on it or change out the shocks. Is the susp. fine from the factory? Does it ride like a Lexus only higher? Does it have enough ground clearance to ride over curbs, parking blocks, medians, etc? Some of these questions are probably answered in the thread that RXDRIVER posted...I'll go read it and check back!

Thanks again! Thumbup:

//Darius
Old 05-17-05, 06:52 PM
KeysRx300
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Favorite RX

I have driven all types of RXs except for the 400. I own a FWD 2001. If I had it to do agian. I wait a little longer and find a 2001 Silversport. Love the one color paint job. The mesh grille. I prefer the aluminum dash over the woodtrim.
Old 05-17-05, 06:53 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

PS - Do you guys have photos of your RX's?
Old 05-17-05, 07:23 PM
LexFather

If you can spring for the updated RX, 01+. My mothers 99AWD RX has been flawless though and now has 118, 000 miles.
I'd look for a sportdesign with NAV.
Old 05-17-05, 10:25 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Darius2010
PS - Do you guys have photos of your RX's?
My 2002 RX300 in the Rockies.
Attached Thumbnails RX in our future: Which Year is Best?-dsc00589b.jpg  
Old 05-18-05, 05:56 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Wink Best RX? That's a tough call . . .

Having had both a '00 RX 300 and one of the earliest '04 RX 330s (manufactured 5/03), I've put thousands of miles on both generations of the vehicle. Both are outstanding with the 330 making some subtle but significant improvements on the earlier model. First, both have proven trouble free, with only some early teething issues with the 330. I seem to have escaped most of these - a rather vague transmission program and a passenger's side vanity mirror, both of which the dealer fixed instantly. The differences between the two models are more related to addressing issues with the first model - not that you or I may share those issues with that elusive "target market".

There was a slight shift in focus between the 300 and the 330. The 330 is slightly "sportier" in power and handling - perhaps trying to overcome the "ladies SUV" image it was unfairly given when it was introduced. Cost aside, the 330 is considerably improved over the 300, most issues related to a subtle "luxury feel", including better noise isolation, better response to throttle and steering inputs, and slightly better cabin appointments. The 330 is 5.9 inches longer than the 300 with 4 inches of that additional length added to the wheelbase, contributing to additional legroom in the rear seat, and a smoother, somewhat less "choppy" ride due to the extension between the axles.

That said, the 330 has a slightly stiffer suspension that contributes to handling about as much as it detracts from the Lexus ride. While an SUV will never be a canyon carver, the 330 does not embarrass itself in the twisties, nor on the occasional off-ramp grand prix. It feels well-connected and sure-footed on good roads, with a little unnecessary roughness on the really bad roads. The 300 was no slouch in the corners - but perhaps the more compliant ride made it feel slightly less confident. Even with the uprated 235-16 tires while more sure-footed in bad weather, it was slightly less so than the optional 18's on the 330 in the dry. If a smooth ride is your priority, opt for the 300.

One common complaint on the 300 was the outsized turning radius - a bit of a problem when parking in a typical mall lot that often requires a 3-point turn rather than a single pass to get into a parking space. My old 4WD Suburbans were more nimble in the parking lot. Oddly, the 330, despite the longer WB has a much tighter turning radius.

Power is up in the 330 as a comparison of torque figures will show. Most significantly that torque peak comes about 1000 rpm lower on the tach - making it more useable. When combined with the additional gear in the transmission, the 330 is significantly quicker. That fifth gear also helps highway mileage, with a real-world 27-28 mpg achievable on all-day 70-75 mph interstate runs with the FWD 330. The power increase is accompanied by additional engine noise, noticeable on acceleration. At cruise, the 330 is silent - again attributable to the fifth gear that lets the engine tick over at 2200 rpm at 73 mph.

Yes, the 330 has LOTS more toys available - don't miss the nav system (on late 300's or 330's) if you do a good deal of exploring the back roads. The RSES is no big deal, hardly worth the price - go aftermarket here. Premium sound? Not really worth the money, considering the standard package is quite good and what you can do in the aftermarket with the same money is insane. The rain sensitive wipers are so good you often forget about them. The heated seats are a great blessing not only on cold mornings, but anytime you feel the need for a hot pack on your back. The headlight washers are almost worthless - unless you regularly follow a truck through the Okefenokee on your pre-dawn commute. The dual-zone AC is great if you do not happen to share your wife's hot flashes . . . Mrs. Freeze can bask in 66 degree glory all she wants without causing my teeth to chatter.

AWD vs. FWD? I've had both and feel the AWD option is definitely worth it. Much more surefooted in low to moderate traction situations and smoother response in transients in the dry. The 400h, although technically driven by all four wheels, does so as a convenient solution to electro-mechanical coupling, rather than improving traction. If you enjoy exploring back roads, if you like the backwoods, go driving on the fire roads of the west, or go from the 2-lane to the 2-track, with a few excursions into the no-track, the AWD option is for you. While the AWD 300 or 330 is capable of "soft-roading", it's not Rubicon ready. Think of it as a Quattro with ground clearance. Downside? Slightly lower highway mileage, minimal drive train complexity and maintenance. Neither of these issues has proven significant.

There were some tradeoffs that may influence your buying decision. Some ride quality was sacrificed for handling, some engine noise (though an "improvement" for the sporty set) was allowed in the cabin under acceleration to underscore the slight power increase. While great improvements in electronics, such as the entire alphabet of computer systems that provide anti-lock brakes, stability control, and brake assist, or the improved ECM and transmission integration, these are more evolutionary than revolutionary. Great as they are, you might not miss them on the previous generation.

If I were buying an RX right now, with cost being a large consideration, I'd probably try to find a well cared-for, low mileage AWD '01 or '02 RX 300 with nav. It was a mature product, with all of the early issues well sorted. Like all Lexus, it is smooth, comfortable and trouble-free. What more could you want?

RX and Redwoods: exploring Northern California!

Exploring Caprock Winery near Lubbock, Texas. Outstanding wine, but . . . LUBBOCK??

Last edited by Lil4X; 05-18-05 at 07:44 AM.
Old 05-18-05, 08:42 AM
BrickHead
Instructor

Don't forget the RX350 with a 3.5L V6 is coming up too.
Old 05-19-05, 07:37 PM
JohnsRX
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What Harrier said.....................
Only problem i have is warped rotors, but i never fixed it because it isnt too annoying, so i dont know if that contributes to a problem. yea, and here is mine :

Originally Posted by HarrierAWD
I have a 2002 RX300, so I am gonna say 2002 is the best model year. You should see some 2002 lease returns readily available at your dealer.

It's been extremely reliable since it's been out since 1997 (as Toyota Harrier,) the manufacturing process was obviously very mature by 2002. The vehicle is very well put together, better than any other cars that I've seen.,.........
Old 05-20-05, 08:59 AM
dsandife
Driver School Candidate

I traded in a Honda Accord in June 2003 for a 2004 RX330. After 2 years and 50k miles on the Accord, it had NEVER been in to the dealer except for service. The RX330 has been in for transmission shifting/clunking/delay issues (about 6 times); Musty smell from climate control (twice), brake rotors warped (twice); recall on brake light switch (once); tailgate worked sporadically (once); and a couple other things that escape me at the moment.

That is over 12 times in less than 2 years for a luxury car!

Some of this stuff they fixed, some they did not. They were usually very cordial about these problems.

Based on my own experience, I would not recommend this particular vehicle.
Old 05-20-05, 09:46 AM
peaceful97
Driver School Candidate

Default Love my RX330

Hi Darius2010,

I've never driven the RX300, so I don't know, but Lil4X is right about all the new enhancements to the RX330.

I own the RX330 since it first came out in May 2003. I had a power hatchback problem and I had to bring it to the dealer 3 times to get it fix because the first two times they don't know how to fix it. After that I haven't gone to the dealer for any other problems since. I don't have any rattles or anything else. It's a great car and I still love it so much. If you are going to get RX330, you must get the one with the Nav. because it comes with the rear view backup camera and it works wonderfully. I love this so much and the rain sensor is another wonderful features; these two options to me is one of the best options that must have.

I also have a 2002 SC430 and it doesn't have rain sensor and the Nav. in my SC430 is very slow compare to my RX330. So the RX330 has a lot improvements to it. I love both of my Lexus.

We are going to take another trip next week for 11 days on our RX330. We went on the long trip with our RX330 last year and we love it.

So I think you can't go wrong with Lexus.

Good luck with your choices.

Quick Reply: RX in our future: Which Year is Best?