RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Windshield wiper fluid motor install for Rx300 Instructions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-07, 01:04 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I have to apologize on some of these shots. I had a lot more including the one showing the actual reservoir in front of the cooler but due to a computer error I lost these shots.

Long story short, I removed the windshield wiper fluid reservoir and tied up the hoses and cables as shown.

The design of the putting the reservoir in front of the tranny cooler IS BAD BAD BAD. It covers more than 75% of the engine cooler.
Attached Thumbnails Windshield wiper fluid motor install for Rx300 Instructions.-img_2289.jpg  

Last edited by Lexmex; 03-10-07 at 01:18 PM.
Old 03-10-07, 01:08 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Another front shot from the bumper.
Attached Thumbnails Windshield wiper fluid motor install for Rx300 Instructions.-img_2278.jpg  
Old 03-10-07, 01:09 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Another shot without the bumper.
Attached Thumbnails Windshield wiper fluid motor install for Rx300 Instructions.-img_2290.jpg  
Old 03-10-07, 01:18 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

One more shot from the bumper.

I never use the spray anyway, so I figure what I will do is test this (and keep some water in bottle if I need it) and see if there is any performance difference (MPG, 1/4 mile time) and report back my findings.

Initially on the highway after I burst out of the entrance from the toll booth, there seems to be a little bit less hesitation (but that coule be mental).

My idea is here that with a better efficiency of the cooler, cooler fluid, smaller molecules, better flow.
Attached Thumbnails Windshield wiper fluid motor install for Rx300 Instructions.-img_2297.jpg  
Old 03-11-07, 07:03 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I tried it at the track and the only effect was that my 60 foot times seemed to indicate I was getting a quicker jump, but after I got hafway down the track felt like it was dragging from that side. I definitely can feel the pickup on the highway where in a rolling start on the on ramp, there is no hestitation like before and the gear shifting is much quieter.

My cousin and I are looking for a wiper fluid box similar to that on the Sienna perhaps from another vehicle that we can install (will be much smaller).
Old 03-12-07, 08:12 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

After reading a lot and taking another look at the setup, the OEM idea here was that some air reach the bottom of the tranny cooler and the the rest of the oncoming air would cool the water in the windshield wiper fluid reservoir and thus help cool the tranny cooler just behind it. I am not confident this worked as when we drained the reservoir the water was lukewarm.
Old 02-03-10, 04:24 PM
goosie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rx300 windshield washer motor

Thank you so much for the post!

-CL
Old 02-03-10, 07:04 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Welcome to the Club. I'm still loving this modification almost 3 years later.
Old 06-30-10, 03:59 PM
nutcracker
Driver School Candidate

Great thread!

I got everything set up and running, except it keeps leaking on me. I've tried some sealants, but no luck. do you guys have any problems with leaks? if so, what you do. any advice is appreciated.
Old 06-30-10, 05:07 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by nutcracker
Great thread!

I got everything set up and running, except it keeps leaking on me. I've tried some sealants, but no luck. do you guys have any problems with leaks? if so, what you do. any advice is appreciated.
Welcome to the Club.

Where are you getting leaks at?
Old 07-01-10, 11:27 AM
nutcracker
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Welcome to the Club.

Where are you getting leaks at?
I cant get the rubber seal between the reservoir and the wiper fluid motor to seal. it keeps dripping.

did you guys just pop the rubber seal into the reservoir and it didnt leak? or did you guys use any sealant or compound? if so, what?
Old 03-13-11, 04:05 PM
jonjohn
Driver School Candidate

These posts and pictures are priceless.

Thank you.

jj
Old 08-27-13, 03:52 PM
pjjunk
Driver School Candidate

Default Worked For Me

Thanks for the detailed instructions. Took me about 20 minutes total and could have been less if i didn't run into a few minor leaking snags. A few notes that may help others:
- I used the part number: 85330-20470 as noted in a previous post. Was cheaper and appears identical. It works fine.
- I had to snip off a little bit of each feeding hose (front and rear) to get a good seal. It leaked when I didn't initially do this.
- There is a gasket between the motor feeding tube and the reservoir. I initially pulled it off the old part, put it on the new part and then plugged it into reservoir. It leaked. Then I removed the gasket from the new part and plugged it into the reservoir first, then inserted the new part into the gasket/reservoir and it sealed up fine.

Thanks for this post.
Old 06-01-14, 12:25 PM
dbarber45
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys, first thanks for all the tutorials on this. I wanted to attempt this, so I took my car to the Auto Hobby shop at Keesler AFB this Sunday. Seemed simple enough from the pictorials and detailed instructions. Long story short, I was able to successfully replace the pump in about 30 minutes. Even followed one suggestion to attach supply tubes to air compressor to flush debris. Unfortunately, I still have no working washer. I check the fuse and it was ok. Finally asked someone to place their hand on the pump as I activated the steering column switch to see if the motor was running. They felt nothing. So it seems the motor is not the problem, but something in the power supply to the motor. A parts person at local store suggested it could be the switch in the steering column itself. Anyone else have any suggestions. I was so proud of myself after I got the part replaced. Figured I had saved the $100 labor charge my local mechanic shop was going to charge for this. Now, I'm back to "Go".
Old 08-08-14, 05:39 AM
DeadRX
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love when I use the search function and produce results. My JiffyLube guy and I tested yesterday after I'd pull the stalk back and get no front wiper fluid. He said he didn't even hear the motor running.

So, to ^Dbarber's issue above, can anyone recommend a way I can take off motor and test the power to make sure it's power supply is working before I buy the part? I'm sure though, it's most likely the pump but how can I be sure?

And, if anyone's ordered this part recently, where from?

Quick Reply: Windshield wiper fluid motor install for Rx300 Instructions.