RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

How to tighten the sun visor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-12, 03:43 PM
JSlaughter
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LexusPartsWorld.com

I priced the driver side visor at LexusPartsWorld.com. sktn77a said he got it for $160. Well check out the price now. I wanted a visor, not a whole car.
Attached Thumbnails How to tighten the sun visor?-lexus.jpg  
Old 03-09-12, 08:02 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Well, that was 3 years ago. Today it's a case of there aren't many left available and if you want one that badly, you're gonna have to pay!. Having said that, have you called the local dealer? Sometimes the internet places are just trying it on - they figure of the millions of hits they get, someon isn't going to do their homework first!
Old 03-16-12, 01:16 PM
Xtom73G
Driver

This had a lot of postings in the past. As a meteorite hunter I always have rare earth supermagnets. I just stuck one on the visor by the vanity mirror, and it holds to the ceiling.
Old 03-19-12, 09:40 AM
Xtom73G
Driver

I did make a joke with a guy about metal plates in his head, and found out he DID have a metal plate in his head. OOOPS! By the way, in my experience, there must be one secret factory that makes all visors, power window actuators, and rear hatch lift cylinders. It must be owned by a crime family that deletes anybody trying to start a factory to make parts that are reliable.
Old 03-19-12, 01:52 PM
C-Stone
Rookie

Originally Posted by Xtom73G
I did make a joke with a guy about metal plates in his head, and found out he DID have a metal plate in his head. OOOPS! By the way, in my experience, there must be one secret factory that makes all visors, power window actuators, and rear hatch lift cylinders. It must be owned by a crime family that deletes anybody trying to start a factory to make parts that are reliable.
lol. For sure.

... or members of congress.

By the way, this simple fix is still holding up like a champ.
Old 11-27-12, 10:43 AM
sailorxo
Driver School Candidate

Default One solution to the dropping visor issue

Hi All,

I also have the problem with the visor dropping on the driver side. I tried some of the (inexpensive) solutions but was not successful.

I came up with the following solution and has been working great! It is quite inexpensive as well. The solution is that I use an extra large clip (for big thick stack of paper). It is clipped to the front of the visor with the top leg out and the top leg holds the visor up. We have used it for several months now and it works great. You should be able to get the clip at any office supply stores.

One caution is that when using the visor, you'll need to pull the visor out before flipping the visor down or the clip will come flying out. Given that the visor is only used once in a while for us, it is not an issue. If the clip flies out, just clip it back. The clip should be less than $2 I think.

I'll attach some pics. Good luck to everyone.
Attached Thumbnails How to tighten the sun visor?-img_0258.jpg   How to tighten the sun visor?-img_0265.jpg   How to tighten the sun visor?-img_0266-v2.jpg  
Old 11-27-12, 02:11 PM
Partywave
Rookie

Great ingenuity, sailorxo! A solution much cheaper than $728.33!
Old 12-04-12, 03:44 PM
Ramblemutt
Driver School Candidate

Default Good solution

My thanks also, to sailorxo, for the great idea. I fixed the drooping visor problem with one of those oversized plastic clothespins sold as office supplies. It's also very handy as a holder for that letter I need to mail and usually carry around in the car for 3-4 days until I get to it. Also keep my emergency road service card there. Have to take it off to use the visor, but I use it very seldom in any case. Just hope the passenger side stays tight. My wife loves that mirror.
I also did the cheap fix on my antenna motor by just leaving the antenna halfway up and forgetting about it Also doing the cheap fix on the passenger window motor by locking it from the driver side and forgetting about it, at least until next summer. I love those cheap fixes!!!
Old 12-14-12, 11:17 AM
Francis
Pole Position

It has been 2 weeks and still good
Material:
1). A set of Scotch fasteners
2). A small screw

No need to insert screw on the roof. The fastener sticks pretty good on the roof

It has been 2 weeks and still hangs tight
Old 05-06-14, 04:09 AM
edupim
Rookie

congratulations, very very well done.
Old 05-06-14, 04:58 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

The previous owner did a similar thing with the visor on my RX. He used Velcro as well. It worked for a while, however the tape dried out and came loose from the headliner so I reverted back to using a pushpin stuck into the recess next to the overhead map light panel........ It works..
Old 05-08-14, 01:23 PM
timmui
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had no idea my visor could move! Very cool!
Old 06-02-14, 09:03 AM
Xtom73G
Driver

Default No alteration visor fix

Sorry for the long delay. Here is my fix, works fine. Just stick a rare earth supermagnet in this location, and problem solved. Note large size of magnet, and yes, this type is around $35.
Old 06-03-14, 05:26 PM
Xtom73G
Driver

Default Supermagnet solution

OK, file was too large. Maybe now...

How to tighten the sun visor?-sonycamerapics-b111.jpg
Old 07-24-15, 05:29 PM
GaryGriggs
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Originally Posted by sailorxo
Hi All,

I also have the problem with the visor dropping on the driver side. I tried some of the (inexpensive) solutions but was not successful.

I came up with the following solution and has been working great! It is quite inexpensive as well. The solution is that I use an extra large clip (for big thick stack of paper). It is clipped to the front of the visor with the top leg out and the top leg holds the visor up. We have used it for several months now and it works great. You should be able to get the clip at any office supply stores.

One caution is that when using the visor, you'll need to pull the visor out before flipping the visor down or the clip will come flying out. Given that the visor is only used once in a while for us, it is not an issue. If the clip flies out, just clip it back. The clip should be less than $2 I think.

I'll attach some pics. Good luck to everyone.
Great solution.
I remembered that I had one of these LARGE paper clips in the basement so I dug it out. I attached it and it has worked perfectly for a week now. Much better than the destructive velcro option.
Thanks!
Gary

Quick Reply: How to tighten the sun visor?