RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Color Matched Running Boards Installed

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-05, 06:12 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Color Matched Running Boards Installed

I got these from Darrell at Sewel Lexus. They are NOT an OEM Lexus/Toyota part but made by ATS Design. Fit and finish is great. Apparently you can just buy it without the color and it will be the black polyurethane color, or you just tell them your paint code and they will paint for you for an extra price. Through Sewel Lexus the paint was part of the price and I actually got it from the ebay autcion that Sewel Lexus does. Anyway, the paint came out really good, nice and smooth and good clear. To the naked eye it is a great color match to the OEM paint. Probably because the car is still fairly new. The fit is 99% perfect. Everything does line up and all the predrilled holse (4 on each board) line up. I only hold the 1% because I personaly would have liked the front part near the front fender to be up higher by about 1/8" or a little less. Installation took me two days, but I didn't work straight through. I drilled the needed holes and did a dry run test fit on the first day, and on the second day I just finished it up. I would say you probably only need about 2-4 hours of actual work time.

The reason why I went with the running boards is I was planing on getting the Baslarini body kit, but I kind of wanted a little more aggrssive side skirt and I think these running boards fit the bill. I'm not sure why the color looks a little off in the pictures, but as far as I can see with my eye the color match is really good.

I also recently installed two Alpine TME-M770 touch monitors in my spare headrest that I got off ebay. They are not installed in my car yet, but that is my next project. I just ordered the Vaistech AUX ipod interface device which gives me 1 AUX audio input and 1 iPod input. Teh rest of the A/V runs through an Alpine VPE-S431 A/V expansion module wich works great with the trouch screen. I can route any of 3 A/V inputs to any of the monitors. the source will be a DVD palyer and a PS2. I'm not sure if I want to install the Alpine TV tunner yet. Anyway, Ijust started to intall the A/V stuff so no pictures of it in the car.

Old 03-12-05, 07:24 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the pics!

I see you're doing all these mods on the RX and refer to it as "my car". Is the Mrs. getting something else??

I love the look of that running board in particular. Is it painted where you'd step on it or just the "borders"? Did you have to remove the stock skirts?
Old 03-12-05, 11:43 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied
Thanks for the pics!

I see you're doing all these mods on the RX and refer to it as "my car". Is the Mrs. getting something else??

I love the look of that running board in particular. Is it painted where you'd step on it or just the "borders"? Did you have to remove the stock skirts?
No, the RX is still the wifes car. Mine is the SC400. I'm not planning on getting anything new/used anytime soon. There is a rubber grip pad strip on top where you actually step. You have to remove the original side skirt and this mounts in its place. There are 4 metal brackes the support it that mount to the actual frame rails.
Old 03-13-05, 06:09 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice!