RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Engine "sludged"; needs replaced at 62k

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-05, 12:16 PM
LexusSexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Engine "sludged"; needs replaced at 62k

First of all, thanks for the great info on this forum. Lots of good info here for our wonderful vehicles. That said:

Well, first bad experience with my 99 rx300. Yesterday the oil light came on while driving followed shortly by the check engine light. Then the car shut off on me - once while driving at about 20 mph - and at 3 traffic lights. Engine sounded like it had half the oil it was supposed to.

I was literally 3 miles from the delaership so I slowly made my way there. Service manager informed me that my engine had become "sludged" due to previous owner's (leasee) failure to change the oil at decent intervals. I've had it from 40k til now with no problems. Surprisingly, the new engine will be done under warranty, no cost to me. Actually, a new engine at 60k doesnt sound too bad to me. Anything I should watch out for or be aware of?

thanks again to all
Old 01-11-05, 02:42 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Wow. sorry about your unfortunate situation. But kudos to Lexus for finding you a solution. Just take it easy for the first few thousand miles for the seals to seat properly. Then you'll be good to go for a long time. Just be sure to change your oil at regular intervals and you will be perfectly fine. I have had 2 1MZ-FE V6's in two different cars that have had no sludge problems. one is a 95 Avalon that I got rid of at 105k. and currently a 99 Solara SE V6 Manual at 96k. All are sludge free.

Welcome to CL!
Old 01-11-05, 02:52 PM
LexusSexus
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the tips on the break-in period.

The Service manager is a friend of mine but I dont think i got special treatment here. He said for a while he was replacing up to 5 a month. Most recent was a woman with an 02 LS who went nearly 18,000 miles without an oil change. Engine failed and he had a used engine prepared to sell her. Lexus called and said new engine at no cost (warranty) with no questions asked. Can't beat the service for sure but I think it kind of sucks that someone can just abuse the vehicle with no repercussions or money out of their pocket.

My BIGGEST fear is that I will have tranny problems just after my warranty expires. Although I have no reason to think that I would except for some of the experiences on this forum. Fingers crossed...warranty expires at 70k, correct? Maybe I should have them thoroughly inspect the tranny while it is in and my friend is in charge?
Old 01-11-05, 03:06 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to hear about the sludge problem. Glad that the dealership is treating you well.

This is the 3rd case of RX300 sludge problem that I've read here. In all 3 cases, it was used RXs, not original owners.

Just break in the new engine as you would with any new car. Then change oil every 5,000 miles. Enjoy the new engine.
Old 01-11-05, 03:59 PM
StrmRdr23
Pole Position

is there a way to check if there's a sludge build up? would they detect it when the mechanics are doing the oil change?
Old 01-11-05, 04:52 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by StrmRdr23
is there a way to check if there's a sludge build up? would they detect it when the mechanics are doing the oil change?
When you startup your vehicle and during normal idle, there's a constant white/bluish cloud that is emitted from your exhaust. If you see a white cloud at startup but disappears, that's just initial water vapor from cold startups, you have nothing to worry about.
Old 01-12-05, 04:53 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by LexusSexus
First of all, thanks for the great info on this forum. Lots of good info here for our wonderful vehicles. That said:

Well, first bad experience with my 99 rx300. Yesterday the oil light came on while driving followed shortly by the check engine light. Then the car shut off on me - once while driving at about 20 mph - and at 3 traffic lights. Engine sounded like it had half the oil it was supposed to.

I was literally 3 miles from the delaership so I slowly made my way there. Service manager informed me that my engine had become "sludged" due to previous owner's (leasee) failure to change the oil at decent intervals. I've had it from 40k til now with no problems. Surprisingly, the new engine will be done under warranty, no cost to me. Actually, a new engine at 60k doesnt sound too bad to me. Anything I should watch out for or be aware of?

thanks again to all
How often did the previous owner do his / her oil changes? Did you get service records before you purchased the vehicle?
Old 01-12-05, 08:17 AM
LexusSexus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by flipside909
When you startup your vehicle and during normal idle, there's a constant white/bluish cloud that is emitted from your exhaust. If you see a white cloud at startup but disappears, that's just initial water vapor from cold startups, you have nothing to worry about.
I never really noticed any smoke or anything really. Car was running great until Monday. Weird.
Old 01-12-05, 08:19 AM
LexusSexus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexusfreak
How often did the previous owner do his / her oil changes? Did you get service records before you purchased the vehicle?
Didn't get the records. I also mad eanother goof by not having it certified. I was being a cheapo and they hadn't done it yet ($900) so I just said skip it. Turns out they would have put new tires, brakes, etc on it which I ended up needing to do myself. Also, car would have been warrantied til 100,000. I havent had any problems but I do worry a bit about my tranny aftre reading some of the "just out of warranty" problems on this forum. Fingers crossed...
Old 01-12-05, 08:33 AM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by HarrierAWD
Sorry to hear about the sludge problem. Glad that the dealership is treating you well.

Just break in the new engine as you would with any new car. Then change oil every 5,000 miles. Enjoy the new engine.
Isn't it 3months, 3000mi?
Old 01-12-05, 08:38 AM
LexusSexus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexusLuver
My dealer recommends 5,000 miles as well
Old 01-12-05, 09:33 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusLuver
It's 4 months, 5000 miles for the RX300. Don't use the 6 months / 7500 miles interval per my dealer service.
Old 01-12-05, 11:04 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Unhappy

Originally Posted by LexusSexus
Didn't get the records. I also mad eanother goof by not having it certified. I was being a cheapo and they hadn't done it yet ($900) so I just said skip it. Turns out they would have put new tires, brakes, etc on it which I ended up needing to do myself. Also, car would have been warrantied til 100,000. I havent had any problems but I do worry a bit about my tranny aftre reading some of the "just out of warranty" problems on this forum. Fingers crossed...
Ouch
Old 01-12-05, 11:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

It's nice that you are getting a new engine, but that currently is Toyota / Lexus policy on the sludge problems for this engine...the 3.0 L V6. Toyota now warrants the engine for up to eight years in some cases depending on year and original delivery date AND......here's the nice part.....will either rebuild, remanufacture, or replace the engine if the current owner can give documentation of at least one oil change in the last 12 months with the proper grade oil and filter. If an owner buys the used car from a dealership and the engine siezes up within that year, then of course it is dealer fault since dealers routinely change oil and filters on every used car in their lot...especially Certified Used Cars. Now, if it is purchased from a private owner and you own it less than a year and it siezes up, my understanding of this (not necessarily a fact) is that consideration is made if the previous owner did not change the oil at reasonable intervals......as in your case. And...in your case.....you won out. You get a new engine.
Treat your new engine as you would a brand-new car. If you don't know the standard break-in rules PM me and I'll give them to you.
Good luck.
Old 01-13-05, 06:33 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Unhappy

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It's nice that you are getting a new engine, but that currently is Toyota / Lexus policy on the sludge problems for this engine...the 3.0 L V6. Toyota now warrants the engine for up to eight years in some cases depending on year and original delivery date AND......here's the nice part.....will either rebuild, remanufacture, or replace the engine if the current owner can give documentation of at least one oil change in the last 12 months with the proper grade oil and filter. If an owner buys the used car from a dealership and the engine siezes up within that year, then of course it is dealer fault since dealers routinely change oil and filters on every used car in their lot...especially Certified Used Cars. Now, if it is purchased from a private owner and you own it less than a year and it siezes up, my understanding of this (not necessarily a fact) is that consideration is made if the previous owner did not change the oil at reasonable intervals......as in your case. And...in your case.....you won out. You get a new engine.
Treat your new engine as you would a brand-new car. If you don't know the standard break-in rules PM me and I'll give them to you.
Good luck.
There is another post on this thread with the owner doing regular oil changes 'religiously' was the term they used & at only 34k miles their engine seized because of the sludge issue (which I commented on that specific thread which is a 2001 RX ).......I don't get it!? I understand it if oil changes were neglected or extended past their proper intervals.......but how does an engine sludge up when all service has been performed with the proper fluids, filters at the correct times? Kind of makes me nervous.

Quick Reply: Engine "sludged"; needs replaced at 62k