RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Paint Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-01, 06:52 PM
Paul UnKauf

The hood and roof on my Black RX 300 has developed white spots.
Lexus claims it is environmental not defective and wants to pay for 1/2 of the hood paint.
The paint on my door handles and roof rack is fading.
Any feedback or advice?
Anyone with similar problems?
Old 05-09-01, 04:47 PM
leaddog

I am considering buying an RX 300 or a BMW X5, but to get back to your problem. It would be a cold day in hell before I paid 1/2 to get the hood painted. When you mentioned this a chill went down my spine. I went through this 3 times with a new Chev Blazer. What you are most likely seeing is the clear coat starting to let loose from the base color coat. I experienced the same thing, it progressed to what looked like little bumps or pimples, and finally the clear coat started to come off in sheets. The fading is another thing. It should not do it. You must have hit a bad batch of paint, primer or curing. I am not sure where you live but unless you live in an area that is covered with acid rain about twice a week, they are on the hook. They give you that environment BS while hoping that you take the bait. Ask them to show you on the warrantee where it says that the paint will not hold up if you live in Nevada because of the heat or sun, or in Alaska because of the snow, cold, and salt. I forced them to re-paint my Blazer 3 times before they finally got it right, and the warrantee ran out. I might add that they did it only while they first tried kicking and screaming.

Art Santella
Old 05-09-01, 05:04 PM
Paul UnKauf

Default Paint Problems

At this point, I would definitely go with the BMW not the Lexus. I also drive a BMW 740il so I know the difference in the quality. The BMW sits in the same driveway and is also painted Black but the BMW doesn't have any Paint problems.
By the way, I found another Lexus RX300 owner that also has paint problems on the hood. The car is less than a year old. She was told that due to environmental regulations, they just don't make paint like they used to. Sounds like great service and people that you can really believe and trust.
I have been getting a complete runaround from Lexus for several months and at this point will probably end up filing a class action lawsuit.
You might want to proceed with caution before you buy what is essentially an expensive Toyota.
Old 05-09-01, 05:10 PM
Paul UnKauf

Default Paint Problems

I did take the RX 300 to an independent body shop and was told that the clear coat was delaminating. I was also asked why the dealer didn't cover the problem under warranty. This body shop does lots of work for all the other dealers in town.
If anyone else has paint issues, I would like to hear the story because Lexus acts like I am the only person that ever had this problem.
By the way, the dealer had notes written on the repair inspection by the factory representative that said "cheapest paint". I still can't find out what that one means.
Old 05-09-01, 07:21 PM
RX300TC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate to tell you this, but there is no clearcoat on a black Lexus. In fact, many Black cars (from different brands) don't have a clearcoat.

As far as white spots are concerned, I have some on my hood because of stone chips, the color/primer underneath is white. I know a MB ML320 owner who has the same experience.

Sounds like you've made up your mind about Lexus, so you should just get rid of it.
Old 05-09-01, 08:42 PM
Francis K
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Don't buy the X5

It's soo ugly, is it just me or is it a raised 740il with a oversized roof? It looks cheap if you ask me, ever taken a look at the talipipe skirt, looks like somthing fell off and it was replaced at the junkyard.

Oh, by the way, so would my Black LX450 have a clear coat?
Old 05-10-01, 05:25 AM
leaddog

There is no way you can mistake a paint chip for a blemish or clearcoat breakdown. One is a hole you can feel with your fingernail the clearcoat is smooth. Not all black cars are unclearcoated. First look at your manual if it says no strong cleaner wax it MIGHT be coated. The next time you apply a wax job check the cloth, if it has pigment on it it's not clearcoated. Today many cars are clearcoated not only for looks, but because the paint is environmentally weak and the clearcoat is the protection.
That's why you see some mighty old cars with great paint jobs while the body is falling apart. Up until the early 1980s the paint was usually the strongest part of the auto. (Acrylic enamel or Lacquers.)

I am still deciding about both cars, but this item stuck in my craw, as I practically had to drag the service manager outside by his throat before he admitted that paint ain't supposed to do that. 3 times I might again add.

Old 05-10-01, 08:47 AM
Harrier
Pole Position

I had my RX for almost three years before I traded it in for another Lexus. I never had any paint problems, even though my car was one of the first to arrive (first batches are always more prone to problems). I'm not sure what the problem is, since I've never seen this happen on any car nor was the problem ever pointed out to me. You must realize that some dealerships are smaller than others and will try to pull a fast one on you to save some money. Give Lexus customer service a call and calmly explain your situation to the representative. You should get some results. Good luck in your pursuit.
Old 05-10-01, 09:14 AM
leaddog

I agree with Harrier. If you have to call the Lexus Co. division representative, lay out the facts and let them know you are upset. Tell them this is NOT normal. Do not in any case let them think you do not know what you are talking about. You can bet that they know EXACTLY what you are talking about.
Old 03-08-05, 12:18 PM
juliasuz
Driver School Candidate

Default Black paint problems

I see several postings on white spots on the hood of the Lexus. I have the same problem, and the paint overall is getting worse. I love my Lexus, what approach has worked with the dealer?

Mine is a 2000 RX 300 and I want to sell it for the new 2006 400H but, with the paint deteriorating, it will be difficult to sell unless I have it painted. I think the dealer needs to be responsible, so what has worked.

Juliasuz
Old 03-08-05, 02:02 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Paul UnKauf
The hood and roof on my Black RX 300 has developed white spots.
Lexus claims it is environmental not defective and wants to pay for 1/2 of the hood paint.
The paint on my door handles and roof rack is fading.
Any feedback or advice?
Anyone with similar problems?
It sounds like oxidation. A lot of cars in Hawai'i have them, and it's from lack of care (washing & waxing). I am a stickler for car care, so I guess that's why it never happened to me.

My parents had a black '98 ES, which I also took care of, and it was sold about a year ago to some very happy people; it shined like it came off the showroom floor!

Was this RX purchased new or pre-owned?
Old 03-09-05, 09:29 AM
BrickHead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys, the original post was dated '04/30/01'. I don't think those two guys are still members of CL.
Old 03-09-05, 09:49 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BrickHead
Guys, the original post was dated '04/30/01'. I don't think those two guys are still members of CL.
I was wondering why their names were not in bold font like ours

On a related topic though, the new Lexus paints suck compared to cars of a few years ago. It is very thin and chips easy. I remember a bunch of us talking about this when the RX330 first came out. I have so many chips on my hood already and those stared when the car was only a few weeks old. I have a 92 Acura with 85K miles that has less chips than my 04 Lexus. I can tell even the paint on the older Lexus cars are better.
Old 03-09-05, 10:25 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

About 3 years ago I have the gray area on the lower panels painted black (here in Mexico) to match the rest of the car. Since then I have painted the body parts on the side adjacent to the hood and the rear door (used some kind of DuPont) paint and this stuff has worked like a charm. Stuff is made in the USA, so I do not buy that environmental stuff at all.
Old 03-09-05, 01:12 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
On a related topic though, the new Lexus paints suck compared to cars of a few years ago. It is very thin and chips easy. I remember a bunch of us talking about this when the RX330 first came out. I have so many chips on my hood already and those stared when the car was only a few weeks old. I have a 92 Acura with 85K miles that has less chips than my 04 Lexus. I can tell even the paint on the older Lexus cars are better.
Actually, just about all new car paint sucked. Automakers have switched to environmentally-friendly water-based paint. It just doesn't stick. The front end of my RX300 has at least 40 paint chips from small rocks (and holes burned by lovebug juice.) Not obvious at a distance, but hideous at close-up. I'm on my second bottle of touch-up paint.

Quick Reply: Paint Problems