RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Paint Problems

Old 03-09-05, 02:35 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

Harrier,

I sort of remember someone posting on here about a 3M compound they put on to prevent rock chips. I could have sworn that I saw someone talk about it on CL.
Old 03-09-05, 03:19 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, 3M makes this clear film that can be applied to the front end. I forgot the name of it. I did see a white CPO 2001 RX300 on the dealer lot with the film. It had turned slightly yellow. My RX300 is also white so I'm not sure which way is better - stone chip or yellow front end.

FWIW, my touch-up procedure is a tedious 3-step process. The Lexus white touch-up is very transparent. So I first use Toyota's Super White touch up, then the Lexus touch up, then Revlon clearcoat nail polish (with her permission of course.)

Last edited by HarrierAWD; 03-09-05 at 03:27 PM.
Old 03-09-05, 04:04 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default ClearBra, Xpel, Stongard . . .

One of our vendors, Premiere Mobile handles the ClearBra product. I had a piece of it on the rear bumper of my white '00 RX, and it worked well to prevent scratches when loading/unloading. Sure wish I'd used it elsewhere on my savannah '04.

I installed my own (there were no local installers in '00). It comes pre-cut as a large thick decal, you just wet it with a solution of water and alcohol and a drop of soap. I used Stongard, but others are similar.

Spray plenty of the solution on the surface and keep it wet while you apply the material. Work in good light, in the shade on a warm day - use a hair dryer to warm the material if you have problems following curves. Squeegee the air bubbles and liquid out from under once you get it in place and let dry.

The fit gets even better after a few days in the sun as a few remaining wrinkles work their way out. Having a pro do it is best - like window tinting, but if there is none in your area, you can DIY. After three years it was barely marked despite some mistreatment. Had I not turned the car in, I could have easily replaced it. The Stongard product was very nearly invisible even after three years unless you knew where to look for the edges and had just the right light.

See https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=147488

Last edited by Lil4X; 03-10-05 at 02:00 PM.
Old 03-09-05, 05:59 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
On a related topic though, the new Lexus paints suck compared to cars of a few years ago. It is very thin and chips easy.
No kidding. I have a total of about 4 on the hood. A big reason why I have so many, is 'cause of my drive to & from work (50 miles total every day). Come to think of it, my Prelude didn't have big chips on the hood. My IS did.

I hate to say it, but I think Honda builds better than Toyota does, as far as quality goes. I've had to take my RX330 in for so many quality issues, it seems it's not worth the $40K I paid.
Old 03-10-05, 11:58 AM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Default new car paint sucks

All late model cars have to use the new low VOC paint, its really not as good as the older paints. It orange peels more and doesn't last as long.

The only thing you can do is stick with clear coated paints, your black RX300 is not clearcoated.

I have used Meguiers Deep Crystal Step 1 Paint Cleaner with good results on hopelessly faded red with no clear coat. Give it a try.

I park my RX300 in the sun 100% of the time next to the salty Pacific Ocean and its holding up pretty well. I wash it every 2 weeks and use Zaino to protect the paint from UV rays using the chemical UV blocker in it.

So clean the paint and then protect it. I doubt you have degraded the paint down to the primer unless you live in an area like Rutherford NJ or Long Beach CA

Do a search on the guy with the black GS that lived out side the before and after, its amazing.
Old 03-10-05, 12:17 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by toy4two
The only thing you can do is stick with clear coated paints, your black RX300 is not clearcoated.
Interesting. I didn't know that. I'll look closely when I see a black RX next time. (I have a white one and it's got clearcoat, though lovebug juice burns thru it easily.)
Old 03-10-05, 06:36 PM
700t
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RX300TC
I hate to tell you this, but there is no clearcoat on a black Lexus. In fact, many Black cars (from different brands) don't have a clearcoat.

As far as white spots are concerned, I have some on my hood because of stone chips, the color/primer underneath is white. I know a MB ML320 owner who has the same experience.

Sounds like you've made up your mind about Lexus, so you should just get rid of it.
I work in the Lexus paint shop @ TMMC and I can tell you for sure that there is clearcoat on black RX330.