RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Is a ext warranty for a 2001 RX300 worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-04, 06:21 AM
cottinge
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Is a ext warranty for a 2001 RX300 worth it?

I bought my 2001 RX300 about 3 months ago with 48,000 miles on it already. As you may know it comes standard with a 4 year 50,000 warranty from the factory. I plan on keeping the car for at least 5 years, so the question is does anyone think paying between $1800-2000 for a 7 yr/100,000 warranty is worth it? The dealer said that this ext plan will start from when the car was first purched back in 1/12/02 not when I bought it so I would actually get 5 yrs/ 50,000 additional.

Since this is a Lexus/Toyota product would anything break on the car in the next 5 years that would cost $2000 to fix?

Confused in Frisco Texas
Old 10-30-04, 04:17 PM
carsetc
Driver School Candidate

Lexus makes one of the best products in the world however, a $2000 repair bill is a realistic possibility in the next 5 years (parts and labor will most likely go up). If the warranty you are looking at is from Toyota / Lexus, a factory extended warranty then I can tell you from personal experience they are fantastic.
Make sure it is a factory extended service contract from Toyota / Lexus!!
Toyota has two deductible options, $50 and $0, buy the $0 (the dealer cost is only $50 more for the $0 deductible.) and make sure you get the best plan (Platinum) the gold plan is good but for the difference in price the platinum pays and covers the whole vehicle, computers – electrical everything that can take hours to figure out the problem.
If the extended warranty is from another source, pass and go find a Toyota dealer and buy their factory coverage.
The benefit of extended service contacts can be huge, you can use them as often as you want, they pay the bill you don’t (in 5 years how much is a Lexus dealer going to charge per hr.?!!!$$$$$ - does not matter you don’t have to pay), they cannot cancel you – but you can cancel them even after using it and still get a pro rata refund ( based on time and miles only).
If you never use it, well I guess you were lucky (or not depending on how you see it). But chances are there will be little things here and there that the Platinum $0 deduct would cover that do add up over 5 years. With all the technology in a newer vehicle especially a Lexus I think it is a good idea.
Lexus Retail prices are on the lexus.com website.
Retail price for a 7yr/100,000 mi $0 deductible is $2150.00 that is retail you should be able to find a dealer to give you a break, if they say they can’t call another dealer.
Just my $0.02.
Old 11-03-04, 09:51 AM
cottinge
Driver School Candidate

Default Ext warranty

Emailed about a dozen Lexus dealers to see who could give me the best price, and a dealer in Kentucky gave me a 7yr/100K Platinum w/zero ded for $1750.00.
Old 11-10-04, 07:44 PM
mike28
Driver School Candidate

A WARRANTY ALWAYS COME IN HANDY YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT MIGHT HAPPEN DOWN THE ROAD.
Old 11-11-04, 02:41 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Do a search on the RX, ES & LS forums......I have commented on extended warranties in the past & I am only in favour of them if it's a 'Lexus' extended & NOT an aftermarket warranty.....the Lexus extended is a bit expensive but it does cover next to everything mechanical & keep all maintenance records!! Good Luck!
Old 11-15-04, 11:20 PM
edco
Driver School Candidate

Default In a word - ABSOLUTELY !

My 2 cents on this topic..
I have owned my 01 RX-300 since new (picked it on Halloween night 2000). Other than the "free" service oil changes and ONE recommended service (it had a TSB for the broken center cupholder so I felt a little guilty), it has NEVER, I repeat NEVER been back for any service at any dealership.

I change the oil and filters myself using Mobil 1 and PureOne Filter every 5K miles or so, and it simply purrs...air filter once a year (I put around 11K miles per year on the car, so it now has about 45K)

Now last year, when I was just about to hit 36K miles, I sent e-mails to SIX different Lexus dealers within 50 miles of my home in NJ. To tell you that the EXTREMES of responses I received is actually quite humourous. Some were:
a) We don't offer that (I was looking for the Platinum no deductible warranty)
b) You have to buy it when you buy the car
c) Are you sure you have a Lexus.? Our F&I guy never heard of the Platinum Program
d) Did you buy the car from us..? (if so who is your salesman, most likely to thrash him for not getting you to buy it at delivery)
e) and other lame answers from people who simply did not have a clue..
BTW, I got follow up e-mails from Toyota/Lexus corporate asking me if I had been contacted within 48 hours of sending the e-mails.

Pricing:
I went back to my original dealer (Warnock Lexus in E. Hanover, NJ) who was willing to sell me the ext warranty (bumper to bumper, no deductible - 6 years 70K miles) for a mere 10% off the list price of $1775(BFD!) Evenutally, I ended up at DiFeo on Rte 22. who sold me the EXACT SAME Platinum contract for $975. That's right ! nearly 50% off list !

The good news is 4 years later +/- a couple of weeks, I have not spent a DIME on my car (other than a set of Michelin Cross Terrains I bought at BJs that are 2 years old and ride impeccably), my Mobil 1 and PureOne filters, and the annual air filter. About to change the AC filter, but have never found it the slight bit dirty. Thinking about changing the plugs and wires though, but I think it's more than I can handle so....
Any good recommendations within driving distance of central NJ for a SOLID independant service shop who KNOWS Lexus..?? send me your suggestions at edwardc3000@yahoo.com, please. I'll buy you a coffee !

So dear friends, do I worry about major engine failures..absolutely not..but if the power seats fail, the CD craps out or the rear windows stop going up and down..I figured that the cost of the motors alone (without labor) allows me to sleep well at night for an additional 2 years for less than a grand. PLUS it's transferable for just $25 if I decide to sell the car to someone else before the end of the ext. warranty expires

Do not waste your time with aftermarket warranty companies that are going out of business. Just shop around and remember one thing : IT'S YOUR MONEY !!! You get to choose where to spend it, and who sells you the warranty has NOTHING to do with which dealer services it.. Oh and last but not least, PLEASE don't wait until you are past the 36K mile or month mark..the Platinum offer no longer becomes available, and you are stuck with less than sophisticated GOLD package.

Do this now !
Send e-mails to EVERY Lexus dealer you can find..Ask for a price quote. Tell them to beat $1000 and they get your business..It's pretty much 100% profit for them anyway ! You will sleep like a baby and save enough money to take your S.O. out for a fabulous dinner !

Cheers
ED in NJ

PS. It's hard to find all the details on the Lexus website so go to lexususa.com and search on Platinum Program for details.

Peace to all !
PS. I've got a ABSOLUTELY GREAT Dent Wizard in Leonia if you ever get a ding..He is AMAZING !!!
Old 11-16-04, 07:35 AM
ToyotaLexus
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

you simply MUST get the Lexus extended warranty...

I also have a '01 RX300. I bought the bumper-to-bumper Lexus extendeded warranty at
the same time and it was rolled into the financing deal. So, for a few bucks more every
month, I get the peace of mind. I have almost nothing to worry about for 7 years/100k miles.

My RX300 has the navigation system. If it goes bad for some reason, it will close nearly $2000
to replace it.(if not more $$$) Repairs costs on engine/transmission these days will run
well over $1000.

While I hope I'll never have to use it, they warranty ensures that i won't have to spend $$$
in case something happens.

Think of it this way... would you drive around without insurance? You can save hundreds of dollars
per year if you only buy the absolute minimum insurance as required by your state.... but would you?
Old 11-16-04, 10:07 AM
rx300mm
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Lexus extended warranty - in Canada

I bought 2001 Rx300 early this year, It has 77,000km on it now, I am covered to 80k .
Does anyone in Canada/Ontario know if the Lexus extended warranty (Platinum Program) price is negotiable or what who is giving the best price...
Old 07-01-13, 03:17 PM
nusoom
Driver School Candidate

Default Is it worth the cost @$800/yr

Just bought an 06 RX 400h. Has anyone done the math to see if it is worth the expense? When I reviewed my repair expenses for my previous 98 Lexus RX 300, it was not and so I'm glad I didn't buy the warranty from the dealer..
Old 07-01-13, 04:25 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by nusoom
Just bought an 06 RX 400h. Has anyone done the math to see if it is worth the expense? When I reviewed my repair expenses for my previous 98 Lexus RX 300, it was not and so I'm glad I didn't buy the warranty from the dealer..
There is no clear math that you can apply. It is a matter of risk, odds and how averse are you to the risk. Most likely the insurance provider is going to make money and the agents involved will surely make money and most likely the buyer is going to loose money.

When you are talking about 4+ year old vehicle, the premium is going to be high and there will be lots of exclusion clauses. Lexus backed extended warranty runs out at 100k or 6yrs from first purchase (double check the years/time). Any thing else, even if sold in Lexus dealerships will not be the Lexus backed warranty.

Salim
Old 07-02-13, 10:21 AM
99rx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

WHY WHY WHY was this bumped?! Post up on the second gen section and see what they've done.