RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

HID Theft

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-04, 01:32 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default HID Theft

CBS news ran a segment today about escalating HID theft in the suburbs of NYC. They claimed Lexus and Acura are most frequent target due to ease of removal. Thieves usually cut wires and due some minor damage adding up to about 6K. Kind of makes me wish I didn't have them.
Old 10-26-04, 05:45 PM
Shoofin'GS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That issue that I learned of seems to be more serious than I thought. It's making me reconsider getting the RX because I do plan on parking the car on the street on ocassion, and I don't want to risk theft. I already had the lights stolen from my TL when I drove it, I can't let them win again...It seems like the only solution is to install the nasty full front brush guard that covers the headlights to prevent theft...really sucks!
Old 10-26-04, 09:28 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally posted by Shoofin'GS
That issue that I learned of seems to be more serious than I thought. It's making me reconsider getting the RX because I do plan on parking the car on the street on ocassion, and I don't want to risk theft. I already had the lights stolen from my TL when I drove it, I can't let them win again...It seems like the only solution is to install the nasty full front brush guard that covers the headlights to prevent theft...really sucks!
Sounds like you let them "win" already. If you are that concerned why not install a loud alarm system with a pager.
Old 10-26-04, 09:31 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My body shop guy says he can pull the HIDs from a RX330 in 5 minutes, that's not too comforting to hear...
Old 10-27-04, 04:36 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

I understand the brush guard doesn't help. It only gives them more to damage. I definitely don't want a car where I need a loud alarm and pager just because of the headlights. What next, a license to carry, so I can act when the pager goes off. They are really winning if I let them put that kind of control on my life. It makes more sense to just forget the HID's.
I often leave the RX at home and take my Alero when I take trips that require parking outside overnight. That sucks.

Last edited by mikey00; 10-27-04 at 04:49 AM.
Old 10-27-04, 06:29 AM
Shoofin'GS
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by jfelbab
Sounds like you let them "win" already. If you are that concerned why not install a loud alarm system with a pager.
Not necessarily. With the alarm, let's say they attempt to take the lights. The alarm will sound from the shock sensor. Most probably the damage has already been done at that point. I think the brush guard would help a little, it might act as more of a deterrent than anything else, preventing them from even trying to steal the lights when there are other RX's not far from me that are unprotected.
Old 10-27-04, 11:49 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The thieves can cut the wires under the hood to stop the alarm in 5 seconds. Then they can take their time to work on the car. The brush guard is just another piece to be stolen. Most brush guards can be easily removed in one minute flat.

Etch VIN number on the HID so it can't be resold. Have comprehensive insurance so that it'll be covered. Or move from NYC to Colorado.
Old 10-27-04, 12:04 PM
pcwork1
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by mikey00
I understand the brush guard doesn't help. It only gives them more to damage. I definitely don't want a car where I need a loud alarm and pager just because of the headlights. What next, a license to carry, so I can act when the pager goes off. They are really winning if I let them put that kind of control on my life. It makes more sense to just forget the HID's.
I often leave the RX at home and take my Alero when I take trips that require parking outside overnight. That sucks.
My RX300 2001 HID was actually stolen back in 2002. After insurance take care of the bill, I have the dealer install WAAG brush guard. I check other RX300 with the same brush guard in my area. I think the way my dealer install them make some difference. A set of top braces was added on top of the HID, and bolted on the chassis of the vehicle. The thief now has to break your window, and pop the hood. After that, he needs to cut or unbolt the braces. The difference is instead of a 5mins job, now he needs 30mins.

In NYC, I suggest people without garage not to buy vehicle with HID. It's just matter of time someone got to it. Most cops don’t even care, because it's vandalism, not vehicle thief. It doesn’t even show up in crime statistic. My friend works at the LEXUS dealership in the city, and he said average 5 to 10 RX a day for replacing HID. It’s all insurance work. I bet they're making more money than the sales department.
Old 10-27-04, 11:24 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

How about getting the RX330 with standard halogen lights? That way you get all the benefits of the RX330 aside from the HID headlights. Nobody will take the halogen lights.
Old 10-28-04, 05:58 AM
Shoofin'GS
Driver School Candidate

You can't get them like that in NY. They all come with HID's.

The thieves can cut the wires under the hood to stop the alarm in 5 seconds.
...Not if I'm the one installing the alarm and wires in a way that they wouldn't find it...In addition, I'd be installing an alarm with a pager to immediately notify me if the alarm goes off. My only fear is parking it in front of my house. I'd love to leave it in the driveway, but I share it with my family, and it's really annoying having to constantly move cars and guess who's leaving first or last, and who isn't going anywhere. It's always at the most inconvenient time that I have to move the car out so someone can get out. My GS used to always be in the driveway until I got aggravated with a whole project of whose car needs to be where..
Ed
Old 10-28-04, 08:19 AM
pcwork1
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by Shoofin'GS
...Not if I'm the one installing the alarm and wires in a way that they wouldn't find it...In addition, I'd be installing an alarm with a pager to immediately notify me if the alarm goes off. My only fear is parking it in front of my house. I'd love to leave it in the driveway[/B]
BTW, if you have a RX, you should also get some protection for airbag. I talk to this guy in the body shop today. His RX330 airbag got stolen twice in a month, and he parked in his own drive way.
Old 10-28-04, 01:22 PM
LexFather

Default Re: HID Theft

CBS news ran a segment today about escalating HID theft in the suburbs of NYC. They claimed Lexus and Acura are most frequent target due to ease of removal. Thieves usually cut wires and due some minor damage adding up to about 6K. Kind of makes me wish I didn't have them.
They are mistaken. Lexus has no issues with HID theft. The Acura HID is so cheap and easy to steal in comparison. With the Acuras, theives know on certiain cars, they are standard, so every car is a target. With the RX, since its optional, the thief would have to guess and waste tons of time to figure this out.

Even when they were standard they were not stolen out of IS 300s. Its because its too hard to steal.
Old 10-30-04, 07:20 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

What and where is this brush guard?
Old 10-31-04, 12:57 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

The article I read about theft on xenon HID's in NYC only pertain to Nissan Maximas. You have nothing to worry about.

Last edited by G Star; 10-31-04 at 12:57 AM.
Old 10-31-04, 05:57 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

The CBS news segment claimed Lexus and Acura were the main targets and they showed multiple pictures of 330's with headlights ripped out.

Quick Reply: HID Theft