RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

rx300 battery specs

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-04, 08:28 AM
rhack1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rx300 battery specs

anyone know what the battery specs are for an rx300?...cold cranking amps, etc?...anyone have a strong preference on a replacement battery BRAND?...think Consumers Report did an article on auto batteries, but i can't find the old issue...while my battery was tested at my local autozone and napa stores and showed 12 volts, etc -- i don't seem to be getting all the juice i should for the display to work properly...not sure this is the problem, but i want to rule out the battery issue before i break down and subject my wallet to lexus service to trouble shoot...my computer and climate control does not show on the display -- just time and audio...but i can't change the audio or time while the car is running...can only change (volume, on/off, etc) when the key is in the ACC position...wierd...i posted a thread on this problem, but received little advice...so i figure i'll try the battery replacement...but can't seem to find the specs, etc...thx...RH
Old 10-07-04, 09:49 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Never experienced that problem on my 300, but a number of members are reporting strange things happening to the electronics as the battery approaches the end of its life. I believe you are correct to suspect the battery, and as it is the (relatively) "cheap" solution, I'd try it first. First, check the terminals to be sure they are clean, lightly lubricated and tight. A lot of strange effects can be produced by dirty or intermittent connections. If it's the OEM battery, at four plus years it's probably just about gone.

Have your Auto Zone check out the battery on the car - which will also check the alternator and voltage regulator (free). While a voltmeter across the battery terminals may indicate 12v, see what happens when the engine is running, AC on/off, headlights on/off. While the voltage may be present, current may be minimal, dropping voltage severely when the load is applied. A "12-volt" electrical system operates all the way from about 11.8 to 14.2 volts, depending on the load and several other factors. A battery with a cell going bad will not dampen the voltage swing as it should and can produce some truly weird problems such as yours.

Any good battery should work well, my preference is either:
Interstate MT-35 with 690 cranking amps, 550 cold cranking amps, 75 mo. warranty - list about $69.95 or,
Interstate MTP-24F with 1000 cranking amps, 800 cold cranking amps, 85 mo. warranty - list about $84.95
that the charts list for your '99 RX. Down here in the tropics, I'd probably opt for the cheaper of the two - YMMV.

About warranties: practically all are pro-rated, meaning as time goes on, you get less "trade-in" for your failed battery. At about 36-42 months you reach the point that the warranty is pretty meaningless. The pro-rated value of a 75 mo. vs. an 85 mo. warranty four years into the mission will be pennies. Usually a failure in that time indicates a manufacturer's defect or a problem in your electrical system. Don't be excessively concerned with your warranty.

Depending on your application (weather, garaged or not, short trips or long-haul) I'd opt for a battery that is well-supported in your area - over some of the exotics that along with a high price, promise awesome service . . . which is of no help in a year or two when you are buried in a snowbank trying to turn over a balky engine.

Good Luck!

Last edited by Lil4X; 10-07-04 at 10:02 AM.
Old 10-07-04, 10:59 AM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

OEM RX Batteries are 585CCA.

Since you live in NY, you might want to invest in a stong battery. Look for something with 700+ CCA. You don't want to be stranded. But keep in mind anything with over 700 CCA is considered "special" and the prices jump significantly.

I just replaced my battery with a 660CCA Kirkland Signature battery last night. Works like a charm. It also has a 100 month prorated warranty and a 72 month free replacement warranty.

On a side note, make sure the battery you buy isn't too tall or else the bracket might not hold it. The Kirkland Signature battery (FItamen/Size 8) JUST fits.

Last edited by bizzy928; 10-07-04 at 11:01 AM.
Old 10-07-04, 11:51 AM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Default COSTCO

I also recommend the Kirkland batteries at COSTCO, CHEAP and made by Johnson Controls, *THE* best battery manufacturer BAR NONE, they make the Interstates, the SEARS Gold Series, even Optima (overpriced not needed in stock RX).
Old 10-07-04, 02:00 PM
Traturn
Driver

24F battery for sure

575 CCA is stock