RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Toyota Sequoia

Old 04-21-01, 09:51 AM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know this is a LEXUS forum but since the RX is an SUV, i guess this would be the place to ask this... Is the Toyota Sequoia Toyota's version of the Burban? I have heard that it is bigger than the Landcruiser/LX470 but that it doesn't cost as much. Personally, i would much rather have the Sequoia than the Landcruiser.
Old 04-21-01, 10:21 AM
Francis K
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what up Mylex?

Yea, it is bigger. It's the same size engine but with more hp and torque. I think it looks great and it's a monster that looks good, hard to find. But the inside isn't luxury at all, I guess it wasn't meant to be a luxury automobile. I'd take a LX470 in a second over a Sequoia.
Old 04-21-01, 11:21 AM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

*pictures below
Francis K is right, it is bigger and not as luxurious as the LandCruiser. You can opt for a fully loaded Seqoia and get leather seats (really nice looking captians chairs up front) and automatic climate control for the front as well as a seperate automatic climate control for the second row of passengers (also LCD display). The dash and desing of the whole vechile is a bit more trucky than the LandCruiser - it was built from the Toyota tundra.

The 'cruiser is far more expensive and can reach the mid to upper $50,000's for a fully loaded version (which is pretty much all of them). I would just spend the 3 or so thousand more for the Lexus version if I could afford the 'cruiser. For 2002 a DVD navigation was added with a feature where you can watch DVD's on the screen when the vehicle is in park. Oveall, the Sequoia is bigger and the LandCruiser is more luxurious. The Seqoia will run you, fully loaded, around $39k and can reach up to $42k.
Attached Thumbnails Toyota Sequoia-toyota-suv-s.jpg  
Old 04-21-01, 11:42 AM
Van Solo
Driver School Candidate

True that the L. Cruiser is made for luxury and the Sequioa is made for more rugged, but is it true that Toyota planning to kill the L. Cruiser in the future? I read about this on a small article inside one of those car magazines couple of months ago. They also stated that Lexus will be using the Sequioa's plateform as the next LX470. Is this true, and has anyone heard anything about this?
Old 04-21-01, 12:08 PM
Francis K
Racer

Default Yes!

I've heard rumors of a LX500 and a LX430?! How could they ever stop making the Landcruiser?! It's ludicrous, it's what made Toyota what it is today! God, there doin a great job of making my LX450 obsolete. I think Toyota made a mistake with the realesing of all these SUV's. What was wrong with the 4Runner that they had to intoduce the highlander? And I think the LX470 is a beautiful, beautiful car, the best SUV out there in my opinion, all around, and I'm not just saying that because I'm a Lexus owner, I wish I had one, I would if I had known there was a difference between mine and a LX470 at the auction, a huge mistake I regret everday. But anyway the Sequoia is a nice auto, but I don't think it's got what it takes to be Lexus, is it just me or does it resemble a Montero? With the rear that looks like it swaloowing the front of the car cause the hood is so small.
Old 04-21-01, 01:44 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

I haven't heard anything yet about the new LX or LandCruiser or whether or not it will be cancelled. I do remember a little while ago hearing some information about the LandCruiser - not being cancelled, but instead made less expensive. It is so similar to the LX and the price is so steep, maybe that is what the Sequoia is for... Not sure though. Myself, I'm not a big fan of the exterior styling of the Sequoia, but love the LandCruiser. On the other hand the interior of the Sequoia is great except for where the shift **** is situated.

If I come accross anything on the 'cruiser's future or the future of any of the other 'utes i'll be sure to tell you.

Francis: I understand what you mean about the looks of the Sequoia. As for the 4Runner - it looks great but is truck based and very rugged/primitive. Toyota made the Highlander that is similar to the RX is it's class but for those who don't want to spend all that money for the RX. The Highlander is car based in effect giving it a better ride, more on-road capabilities and less off-road. It makes better use of interior space too. The 4Runner has a diverse 4x4 system while the Highlander is AWD. As for the 4Runner, it is still overpriced with a dated interior BUT has beautiful exetrior styling (especially with the Limited package) and is has a sturdy frame with very much ground clearence.

Last edited by LexRX; 04-21-01 at 03:29 PM.
Old 04-21-01, 03:27 PM
Francis K
Racer

Default okay

Now I see, and your right, the 4runner is beautiful!