RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

OEM tires on RX300?

Old 09-20-04, 05:32 PM
mailrail
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM tires on RX300?

What were the OEM tires that came on the 2000 model RX? I found a Bridgestone pamphlet in my glove box when I bought it a few months ago. Funny, but mine and every other RX I test drove before I bought mine has/had Goodyear Integrity tires. How do the Goodyears stack up against what others are out there?
Old 09-20-04, 06:22 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It could be either Bridgestone Dueler or Goodyear Integrity. At first, the RX only came with the Dueler. Then Lexus realized that the Dueler performed poorly in snow and ice. So Lexus started putting Goodyear Integrity on.

Both Bridgestone Dueler and Goodyear Integrity were tested by Consumer Reports. Goodyear Integrity is a so-so tire overall. It is quiet, soft riding, and has slow tread wear. On the other hand, it is very clumsy in cornering, good in snow (not great,) and a still poor performer on ice.
Old 09-21-04, 08:37 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

If you want something fantastic in all weather conditions & still staying with an all season tire for your RX, I would definately put the Toyo Open Country M-410 or the Yokohama Geolander G-051's on your short list! Both are excellent tires & very reasonably priced that will last a long time! Good luck.
Old 09-21-04, 08:38 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Around here, all 99s and 00s that I saw, either on the lot or on the street, had the Notegritys. Our 99 was a very early model (bought Sept 98). Don't remember seeing anything on the old CL or on Edmunds about the Duelers till at least late in 00 but looks like mailrail had 'em on at some point.

mailrail, imho the Integritys are adequate as rim protectors but not much else. I agree with Harrier regarding their snow abilities (which was somewhat surprising! esp as ours were more than half worn when we had first had occasion to try them in snow; just don't get much here in central Ark) but considering how cheap they are, I'd get Michelin CrossTerrains and hang the Integritys from trees for the kids to swing on...................
Old 09-21-04, 01:41 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Lexusfreak
If you want something fantastic in all weather conditions & still staying with an all season tire for your RX, I would definately put the Toyo Open Country M-410 or the Yokohama Geolander G-051's on your short list! Both are excellent tires & very reasonably priced that will last a long time! Good luck.
While the Toyo M410 was the top-rated tire by Consumer Reports and it's one of the tires that I am considering, I wouldn't jump at it just yet. CR did not test its ride comfort and I definitely would not want to give up the creamy ride. When I saw it at the Beijing Auto Show, I thought its compound felt very hard - almost like touching plastic. Though it tested well in handling and braking, that could give it a rough ride. (Giddyup cowboy)

Fortunately I have plenty of tread left on my Goodyear Integrity. I can take my time to make the decision.

Last edited by HarrierAWD; 09-21-04 at 01:46 PM.
Old 09-21-04, 06:07 PM
mailrail
Rookie

Originally posted by HarrierAWD
Fortunately I have plenty of tread left on my Goodyear Integrity. I can take my time to make the decision.
Yeah...I do too. I have no real complaints about the Integritys (yet) but I don't go into corners at 75 MPH nor have I driven in the snow (yet). The Goodyears should last until next summer and until then, I'll be combing the threads for advice on replacements. Thanks to all for the comments, especially mooretorque's advice about future tire swings.
Old 09-22-04, 09:01 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

I have driven on the Toyo's & the Yoko's.....the ride quality on both are excellent, comfortable with good road feedback & sure footed traction in bad weather.......they both deserve to be on your "short list" when the time comes to replace them. They are top choices compared to the Bridgestones or Goodyears, hand's down.
Old 09-22-04, 09:43 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

mailrail, one more thing..............

As you probably guessed, the RXs have been HER cars. After I put the Michelins on, she began to complain about the dealer loaner RXs ( with, you guessed it, the Goodyears) feeling "floppy" compared to her car. Now, she's most def not a gearhead and had been critical of me for putting more expensive tires on her car plus we have two young'uns that she hauls around, so she's not into enthusiastic driving.

But she told me not to put any tire other than more Michelin CTXs next time we replaced them (as it happens, we replaced the vehicle before we needed to replace the tires).
Old 09-22-04, 02:22 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Lexusfreak
I have driven on the Toyo's & the Yoko's.....the ride quality on both are excellent, comfortable with good road feedback & sure footed traction in bad weather.......they both deserve to be on your "short list" when the time comes to replace them. They are top choices compared to the Bridgestones or Goodyears, hand's down.
Thanks for the feedback on Toyo M410. Now I'm down to Michelin CT and Toyo M410.
Old 09-22-04, 05:28 PM
mailrail
Rookie

Originally posted by mooretorque
mailrail, one more thing..............

As you probably guessed, the RXs have been HER cars. After I put the Michelins on, she began to complain about the dealer loaner RXs ( with, you guessed it, the Goodyears) feeling "floppy" compared to her car. Now, she's most def not a gearhead and had been critical of me for putting more expensive tires on her car plus we have two young'uns that she hauls around, so she's not into enthusiastic driving.
The RX in my family, like yours, is HER car. However, unlike your wife, mine wouldn't notice the difference between Firestones, Bridgestones or FLINTSTONES.
Old 09-22-04, 11:12 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Mine notice the difference of various gemstones.