RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

OBD1 connector for clearing the airbag light

Old 07-19-04, 11:53 PM
perry
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question OBD1 connector for clearing the airbag light

I found some information for clearing the airbag light for a SC300/400. I presume that this will alsoo work for a RX300 ????? Did someone managed it to clear this light by a RX300 ?????

However I didn't find the ODB1 connector (with Tc & E1 pinholes of the DLC2). When I look under the dashboard (driverside) I only found the ODB2 connector!
Does somebody know where the ODB1 connector is by a RX300 of 2001?

Thanks

Perry (Netherlands)
Old 07-20-04, 06:44 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: OBD1 connector for clearing the airbag light

Originally posted by perry
I found some information for clearing the airbag light for a SC300/400. I presume that this will alsoo work for a RX300 ????? Did someone managed it to clear this light by a RX300 ?????

However I didn't find the ODB1 connector (with Tc & E1 pinholes of the DLC2). When I look under the dashboard (driverside) I only found the ODB2 connector!
Does somebody know where the ODB1 connector is by a RX300 of 2001?

Thanks

Perry (Netherlands)
I am surprised that you were able to find the ODB2 connector... because it's a OBD2 connector lol. just busting your chops.

a 2001 RX300 is an OBD2 vehicle, therefore you will not find a OBD1 connector on your vehicle. Your vehicle only has an OBD2 no OBD1. In fact any vehicle that had OBD1 is not a OBD2 and vice versa.

If you are trying to reset the computer you can disconnect fuse number 13 for 30seconds. This will reset the computer.
Old 07-20-04, 07:03 AM
perry
Driver School Candidate

Hi VSsc400,

Thanks for your reply, but perhaps you can help me some more.
I found under the dashboard (driverside under me left knee) a with plastic lip with OBD2 on it.
Must I , to clear the airbag light (after replacing the airbags) use this OBD2 connector "lol" (I don't know what a lol is?) and see I a number 13 on it. Must I then connect this number 13 with _ (minus) of the batterie?

Thanks again!

Perry
Old 07-20-04, 07:13 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Hi VSsc400,

Thanks for your reply, but perhaps you can help me some more.
I found under the dashboard (driverside under me left knee) a with plastic lip with OBD2 on it.
Must I , to clear the airbag light (after replacing the airbags) use this OBD2 connector "lol" (I don't know what a lol is?) and see I a number 13 on it. Must I then connect this number 13 with _ (minus) of the batterie?

Thanks again!

Perry
OBD2 plug has nothing to do with the fuse.

number 13 fuse is the ECU fuse on the fuse box. Nothing to do with the OBD2 plug. Don't think about the OBD2 plug. I am going to check my manual to see if there is an airbag fuse or anything else that may reset it.

Try doing a search on this forum. There should be others who have experienced this problem and perhaps found a solution.

dennis

LOL = Laugh Out Loud
Old 07-20-04, 08:26 AM
perry
Driver School Candidate

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for the reply.
Yes I found information on this forum about this airbag-light clearing. But this was concerning a SC300/400 and the procedure was to find first the AB & TC sockets in the OBDI connector, which I can't find!!!! The rest of the procedure would be easy by touching this sockets with the negative battery terminal.

perr
Old 07-20-04, 12:36 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for the reply.
Yes I found information on this forum about this airbag-light clearing. But this was concerning a SC300/400 and the procedure was to find first the AB & TC sockets in the OBDI connector, which I can't find!!!! The rest of the procedure would be easy by touching this sockets with the negative battery terminal.

perr
find the #13 fuse pull it out, wait 30 seconds, put it back on.

don't jump any terminals or sockets.

i hope it works.
Old 07-22-04, 08:50 AM
perry
Driver School Candidate

Hi,

In wich fuse-box is this #13 fuse? I found several number 13 fuses!

Thanks
Old 07-22-04, 01:17 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Post Welcome to CL, Perry -

I believe the ECU fuse you are looking for is under the hood, on the right-hand side of the engine bay (as you face it from the front bumper), near the hood hinge. It is a black box that has a diagram of the fuse layout inside the lid. I'm working from memory here, since the lease on the 300 expired last year and I now have a 330 that is different in several respects. I'm not sure which fuse to look for, but I think the one that clears the codes for engine related problems is the fuel injection fuse, labeled "F.I." on the diagram.

To erase the ECM memory, simply pull out the fuse and wait for 30 seconds before reinstalling it. This should let the storage capacitor discharge and clear the memory. While this will reset the "check engine" light, I'm not sure this will clear the air bag light.

Be very careful when working with the air bag circuits. Do not experiment. Read and understand the wiring diagram of the SRS system before applying voltages here and there, even with an ohmmeter. Accidentally applying even a low voltage to the firing circuits can result in a big, expensive BANG! As I recall the explosive (gas-producing) material is lead azide, a tricky substance used in primers for heavy ordinance, slightly less dangerous than mercuric fulminate. It isn't a toy and is not forgiving of careless handling.

Given the risk of having to replace the upper part of your dashboard, and possibly having to repair your front seats and replace the seatbelt pre-tensioners, not to mention the air bags themselves - I'd opt for the safe method and let a qualified (and insured) mechanic service your SRS.
Old 11-26-12, 03:44 PM
Chocker
Driver School Candidate

Hi,
I have successfully reset the blinking airbag light on my 2003 RX300. You need to do the following on the OBD2 connector:

1. Connect the TC (PIN 13) and the CG (PIN 4) together with a switch do that you can turn the connection on then off.

2. Turn connector switch to ON position.
3. Turn ignition switch to ON position without starting the vehicle.
4. Switch off connector 3 to 10 seconds after the error codes are output. Check to see if airbag light appears within 3 seconds.
5. Within 2 - 4 seconds after light comes on switch on connector.
5. Light goes off, within 2 - 4 seconds after switch off connector.
6. Light goes on, within 2 - 4 seconds after light comes on switch on connector.
7. Light goes off, within 2 - 4 seconds after switch off connector.
8.Check light, if it is flashing very fast it worked. Turn ignition off then wait about 30 seconds and turn it back on. the SRS light will go on normally then turn off.

Here is a link for the instructions again.

http://bahamutcars.free.fr/workshop/...nts/index.html

If you don't see the instructions use the following path:
repair manual/diagnostics/supplemental restraint system/pre-check

If you accidentally get to the main screen instead of this go to the following:

It worked great for me. If it doesn't work try it again. It looks hard but once you have a rythm you will be able to do it.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 11-26-12, 06:58 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Add this to the FAQ please. and thanks!