RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Should we buy a 1999 or 2000 RX300--is there a big difference?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-01, 06:45 PM
itchi1234

Thumbs up

Hi

OK, we have decided to buy a RX300, but now we need to decide whether to buy a 1999 or 2000. I need a used one so the "new car smell" will be gone and it won't bother my allergies. Someone wrote listing the differences between the 2000 and 2001, but what about the 1999? I know it was the first year for the RX, and I am always leary about the first year models. Anyone have any information? There are more 1999s out there because they have come off a 2 year lease, so they are easier to find. What do you think--should we go for the 1999 model or wait for a 2000?

Thanks!
Itchi

Old 04-08-01, 10:22 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The difference between the 1999 and 2000 RX300 is much more minor when compared to those of the 2001. If you do, however, want the 2001 there are some used ones out there - check http://www.autotrader.com there are quite a few out there. I would be leary too of the first year glitches. 2000 is pretty much flawless.

The changes made in 2000 were

1. a new color was added - woodland pearl (dark
green) this replaced the desert bronze metallic/
2. the seat heater buttons were changed. Previously
on the '99 there was one button that allowed you to
select for the driver seat to be heated or switch it to
driver + passenger. On the 2000 model it was
changed to two seperate switches for each front
seat.
3. I also think there was a slight change in the roof
rack. The '99 has the bars running on top of the RX
as well as the cross bars - the 2000 just has the
cross bars with a roof that is plain on top like a
regular car...hard to explain - but there was a slight
change in that. If you need me to elaborate or
provide a picture i will certainly do so.

I believe that is all...not much at all. Good luck and hope you are an RX driver soon!

Last edited by LexRX; 04-08-01 at 10:30 PM.
Old 04-17-01, 08:55 AM
itchi1234

Thanks for your information. We are torn between a 1999 and a 2000, but hope to make a decision soon! Thanks for the website.

Itchi

Old 04-18-01, 04:18 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking 99/00

Good summary, LexRx!! Itchi, my wife has 99 with 31k........seat heater switch IS somewhat of a pain but probably rarely needed in Hotlanta......still, potentially will bug you on the rare occasions when you do need it.

As far as glitches, on the basis of a study population of 1, there have been virtually none. There has been a problem with strut mounts, both front and rear, rectified under warranty (they loosen slightly, producing a low frequency thumping on uneven pavement really only noticeable at low speed; not a safety issue as the suspension will not wander off somewhere, but an annoying noise in what is an extremely quiet vehicle). FYI, 17.2 mpg in almost exclusive suburban/city driving in this AWD.

I would replace the Goodyear Integrity tires with something else as soon as is practical. The Integrity selection is an adequate tire for rim protection and actually had reasonable traction in the snow and ice storms we had here (Arkansas) back in Dec and Jan but has very poor feel and directional stability. It is also at least a partial culprit in an occasionally cited problem with steering pulling to right. I replaced the Integritys with Michelin CrossTerrains and have been extremely pleased. Steering feel now better than my stock 01 GS430!!!!! Also no pulling to right. And as quiet as the Intergrity despite a fairly aggressive "trucky" appearing tread pattern.

But glad to see you making the great choice whichever year!
Old 04-18-01, 07:10 AM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

mooretorque, thanks for sharing you experiences. I will certainly replace my tires with Michelins whenever they Goodyears go out. I like the way the tread looks on the goodyear - i was thinking about possibly getting the new Michelin SUV tires, or the LTX M/S or maybe the XW4's. Not sure yet. My first car was a 92 Explorer Sport and it had firestones. The car shook at 65-70 mph. We switched the tires to Michelins and the ride was PERFECTLY smooth...huge difference (tires probably needed balancing too).
Old 04-24-01, 05:11 AM
itchi1234

Hi

Thanks for your reply--I just got it. Interesting about the tires. We looked at a 99 and noticed that the tires were worn irregularly--they said they would replace them, but the car seemed to have a lot of dings and scratches so we decided to wait. Maybe it was a problem with the tires not the car. Now I am thinking of getting a 2000! I usually buy new when I buy a car, so this is a hard choice for me. I like to know what kind of treatment my car has had before I spend that much money, but because of my allergies I need the car to be older. Oh well--eventually I will figure it out! Anyway it is good to hear hands on experience.

Itchi

Old 04-24-01, 06:40 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

(Sorry for delay in reply, had to go to Fla to play golf for a few days......darn the luck!!!! Did you know they sell beer there, too?? Then a day or two to recuperate! )

LexRx, glad tire recs are of help......the Mich CrossTerrain is their new SUV tire but have also heard good things about the LTX too........but no info on the XW4, sorry.

itchi1234, what about Lexus Certified?? Warranty plus you'll definitely know the history of the car (altho Lexus keeps all the VINs in their service database, so you can at least get service history on any vehicle as long as the service was done at Lexus) plus you miss some of the depreciation hit. And the dealer can search Lexus Certified just as they can search for new vehicles.........likely you've already thought of this but if, by chance not, well, that's what this board is for.......help and advice. Good luck!
Old 04-27-01, 06:08 PM
itchi1234

Hi

Tough luck about that FLA trip....... We are looking at the Certified Used Lexus but the one they had that was the color I wanted was not in very good shape--we were surprised that they didn't fix it up a little bit. I want a silver Rx which narrows it down somewhat. This weekend we will go to some more dealers and see what they have. The search continues......

Itchi

Old 04-28-01, 04:21 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Talking search

Itchi, def keep looking (I'm surprised to hear that a dealer would be selling as CPO something in ratty shape). No sense in compromising in that regard since you KNOW better vehicles are out there. Again would point out that any Lex dealer can search for a desired CPO vehicle on their inhouse computer network.

Good luck!!
Old 10-03-02, 04:15 PM
gcrim21
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs down Michelin XW4 Tires

I definitely would not use Michelin XW4 tires on a RX300 or for that matter any vehicle. They do not have any traction on wet pavement. I suggest the CrossTerrain or LTX MS, both are much better than XW4's I have had XW4's and I know.
Old 10-04-02, 10:03 AM
Lexmexico
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saying the 1999 RX was a first year vehicle is somewhat inaccurate. True, 1999 for the U.S. market. However, down here in Mexico I know of at least one diplomat who has a 1997 Toyota Harrier, which he brought over from Japan. Harriers and RX300s are more or less duplicates.
Old 10-04-02, 12:19 PM
jimmit
Lexus Test Driver

Go with a 2000. My mom has a 2000 model and its great. The newer the better. Less use and wear and tear. In a year the seats can get quite a bit of wear on them. I would go with a 2000 or newer but long as its certified you're good to go. Good Luck. I'm sure you'll luv the RX. Its such a great SUV. Almost in a class of its own.
Old 10-04-02, 12:24 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whoa, this is an old thread from April 2001...

Let's allow it to go back to the grave.

gcrim21, welcome to ClubLexus.

I'm gonna close this one.