RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Lexus RX300 subwoofer

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-11, 02:42 PM
MusicManRy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is a 5" speaker, self-powered by a 35 watt amp.
Old 09-17-11, 03:37 PM
Leines
Pole Position

I had that infinity bass ink in my rx when I bought it...sounded nice but I swapped it for an alpine 12", I'm going to be going back over the install on my rx this weekend to check out some things like the grounds for all my monitors etc, I was told by the trailer wiring guy they were all grounded in the same spot.
Old 09-19-11, 09:54 AM
MusicManRy
Driver School Candidate

Okay, my install is complete.

I used a custom stereo shop in Columbus, IN.

There are things I like, and things I don't like.

When considering this install, the obvious questions were: 1) How big of a speaker can I use? 2) Where do I put the enclosure? 3) Where do I put the amp?

First, let me say that the stock powered-sub in my 2000 RX300 is under the passenger's front seat. It is a 5" speaker, powered by a 35 watt amp. It sounded decent, but distorted slightly at raised volume levels. When I did my additional install, I left this speaker enclosure under the passenger's seat, in the event I decide to hook it back up before a sale (right now, I have no intentions of selling).

I quickly noticed that there is plenty of room under the rear seats for just about any amp. I decided to mount mine under the driver's side, rear seat.

The installer and I discussed mounting the speaker in the back of the car. There were several places to do this, but each had their own set of disqualifying circumstances from my perspective.

The first option was to locate a custom sub enclosure inside the spare tire. I decided against this when the installer said this application would sound the best if we were to perforate the rear Lexus mat so the speaker could breathe. This was not an option for me.

The second option was to use the space on the right or left, just inside the rear hatch. I decided against this for two reasons. A) I have a custom Lexus mat in the back that stretches into this area - in addition to a plastic drip tray that sits on top of the mat. Both of these would have had to have been cut to make room for any custom box. B) The installer brought out two carpet samples that were as close to the color of my interior as he had in stock. Neither were a perfect match, so I decided against it.

Going with a large box - as a part of a custom install was an option available to me. But my goal was to bring in some bass without altering the look of the interior or limiting the storage/cargo space of the car.

I decided to put the sub in a small custom box, located under the passenger's rear seat. I ended up going with an 8" JL Audio sub, powered by a 250 watt amp.

The install was a very tight fit, and unfortunately ended up limiting my ability to lay the seat down flat (which I rarely do anyway - so nothing really lost). The sub is up-firing, and is very responsive.

On my center console, to the left of my cigarette lighter, was an empty option panel. The installer drilled a small hole, and mounted a bass **** so I could control the mix of the amp independent from the stock Lexus radio - or so I thought.

To hook up an amp, one needs to run a powered wire (to battery) with in-line fuse, a ground (to chassis), a remote wire (from radio - keyed power), and RCA cables (from radio).

My installer ran a power wire to battery - with in-line fuse. He also grounded the amp. But he patched into the original cabling, and speaker wires that lead to the original factory amp. This was not a good thing, as it makes the programming supplied to the amp, a mere extension of the factory radio. Since the amp he installed does "not" have a built-in crossover, the EQ's I run to the rest of my speakers effects how the sub sounds.

I had hoped the new amp would power the new sub independently from the mix I was pushing my interior speakers with, but this is not the case. To fix this problem, I need to find a harnass for the back of the stock Lexus radio that will allow me to run independent RCA cables to the new amp, in addition to an independent remote (keyed power) cable. This will make the new amp and sub independent from the factory stereo.

I'm at school on this rainy day, so my car is currently sitting in a parking garage across the street.

I will try to get pictures posted for everyone as soon as possible.
Old 09-27-11, 08:16 AM
defo
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Any photos yet?
Old 10-12-11, 05:14 AM
marcellus
Driver School Candidate

MusicManRy....did you find a harnass for the back of the stock Lexus radio that will allow you to run independent RCA cables to the new amp, in addition to an independent remote (keyed power) cable? I would also would like to see your pics
Old 02-04-17, 09:39 AM
opelmanz
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that sounds like a nice install. I'm doing similar but putting a huge box in the rear area, until I think about something more custom and sleek. I like the pulling audio from the speaker wire to the old sub, rather than trying to grab the signal as it comes into the box with 4 wires I think. I'm not looking forward to running the power, but I am looking forward to some serious krunking
Old 02-04-17, 11:56 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by marcellus
MusicManRy....did you find a harnass for the back of the stock Lexus radio that will allow you to run independent RCA cables to the new amp, in addition to an independent remote (keyed power) cable? I would also would like to see your pics
I hope the factory wires he ran to the sub were from the factory sub and not from the rear speakers. Doesn't sound like it, though.

Doubt the OP will respond - this thread is 6 years old.