RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

code P1133 a/f sensor and shift problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-12, 04:54 PM
Redeemed68
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Codes Cleared!!!!!!

Originally Posted by carguy07
So you cleared A/F sensor codes by cleaning the IACV and throttle body?
YES!!! I had 2 codes, one for the V V T and the A/F sensor. I looked up my symptoms, replaced the actuators, cleaned and remove throttle body, IACV...runs great, increased fuel consumption and have gone over 500 miles without A/F sensor returning.
I still have some slow to shift or hard shifting issues while cold...that is probably another thread
Old 08-05-15, 03:10 PM
babydoll02
Driver School Candidate

Default AF sensor

Originally Posted by Redeemed68
I had all the described problems through out this post and the one thing missed but found in another thread...REMOVE AND CLEAN throttle body, and the IACV. Cleaning it fixed every thing, no more codes. Before I figured it out, it also caused failure to the VVT actuator. Lexus designed these parts to interact with all the variables to create failure. Heads up to any sensor reading, not always the sensor but the mechanical parts forward or linked to it.
I wanted to know, since I've changed every sensor including MAF, and just had the 1133 code off on me again.. do you think maybe cleaning the throttle body would stop this for me??
Old 10-28-15, 05:47 PM
sf46
Driver School Candidate

What is the IACV? How do I clean them and the throttle body as described? Is there a thread that describes this for a 1999 RX300?
Old 10-29-15, 12:17 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by sf46
What is the IACV? How do I clean them and the throttle body as described? Is there a thread that describes this for a 1999 RX300?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-write-up.html
Old 01-12-16, 01:37 PM
Whallmark
Driver School Candidate

Default p1133 code

I had my air fuel ratio sensor for bank 1 changed and I still got a p1133 code. Could the new Sensor be fault? please help!
Old 01-12-16, 04:07 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Was it an OE or Denso sensor or aftermarket?
Old 01-12-16, 06:42 PM
Whallmark
Driver School Candidate

it was a denso and it was changed a few days after christmas.
Old 01-12-16, 07:37 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Assuming they cleared the code and it was off for a little while? No other codes?
Old 01-12-16, 07:40 PM
Whallmark
Driver School Candidate

well the codes were a lean code and random misfires in the 1,3 and 5 cylinders. and after he cleared them.
I also changed the spark plugs. wiring harness, and coils
Old 12-14-16, 04:59 PM
RandyRX300
Driver School Candidate

Hi, Newbie here. I have a 1999 RX300 and also have that same code P1133. I have the check engine light on, difficulty with the shift to OD (thought maybe it was a VVT-i and Tranny communication issue) and lastly and most concerning, when I start the car when cold, I notice what looks like a little smoke coming out of the tailpipe. Can't notice it while driving. Car has 175K and has otherwise performed well, except for a slight loss in MPG. No noticeable use of oil. Any thoughts?
Old 12-14-16, 10:19 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Originally Posted by RandyRX300
Hi, Newbie here. I have a 1999 RX300 and also have that same code P1133. I have the check engine light on, difficulty with the shift to OD (thought maybe it was a VVT-i and Tranny communication issue) and lastly and most concerning, when I start the car when cold, I notice what looks like a little smoke coming out of the tailpipe. Can't notice it while driving. Car has 175K and has otherwise performed well, except for a slight loss in MPG. No noticeable use of oil. Any thoughts?
Welcome to ClubLexus.

So what have you done to fix P1133?

Can you describe the color of the smoke?

Salim
Old 12-15-16, 08:02 AM
RandyRX300
Driver School Candidate

I have not done anything yet. Came here as soon as I got the code. I will take it to a shop and not try to do the A/F sensor myself. I am capable, but lack the tools and of course the time.
As for the smoke, I start it in a public garage with bad lighting, so hard to tell the color. I will look closer. It definitely is not vapor or condensate. I suspect it is blueish (bad news) or brownish which could be related to the A/F sensor. I want my mechanic to replace the A/F sensor and take a look at the source of the oil leak and give me an estimate. If the repairs are beyond the value of the RX, I'll likely trade it in on a newer vehicle, likely another RX.
Old 12-15-16, 05:33 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by RandyRX300
I have not done anything yet. Came here as soon as I got the code. I will take it to a shop and not try to do the A/F sensor myself. I am capable, but lack the tools and of course the time.
As for the smoke, I start it in a public garage with bad lighting, so hard to tell the color. I will look closer. It definitely is not vapor or condensate. I suspect it is blueish (bad news) or brownish which could be related to the A/F sensor. I want my mechanic to replace the A/F sensor and take a look at the source of the oil leak and give me an estimate. If the repairs are beyond the value of the RX, I'll likely trade it in on a newer vehicle, likely another RX.
When you get the code, the problem is the value read by the on-board-computer is out of normal range. Depending on the age/milage the sensor can be bad, but there maybe other reasons too. The most cost-effective solution is to change the sensor. If further confirmation is desired, at times swapping out with the good side can be tried too.

We have a DIY that covers the change of sensor. Some of the tools can be loaned.

For burning oil, you have to investigate further. Compression check Leak down test, plug examination, catch-can on the pcv line can help.

Salim
The following users liked this post:
RandyRX300 (12-16-16)
Old 12-16-16, 07:24 AM
RandyRX300
Driver School Candidate

Thank you very much for the assistance. I had one of the "DOH" Homer Simpson moments right after I posted. A few weeks ago someone at work was touting the wonders of adding Marvel Mystery Oil to the gas tank and claimed that it increased mileage, quieted noises and preserves and protects engine parts. Well, guess what....we added some to my tank. Lo and behold, my check engine light came on, the A/F sensor is likely bad and there is blue smoke coming out of my tailpipe.
"DOH"!

I am going to take the car to the shop on Monday and have them replace the A/F sensor just because and also check the can on the PCV line. I hope they find a simple fix for the oil leak and if so, I will happily be back on the road with a sound vehicle.

I'll probably ask them to pull a plug and look at it too.

Last edited by RandyRX300; 12-16-16 at 07:30 AM.
Old 12-16-16, 07:47 AM
salimshah

I would suggest wait and run through couple of gas tanks of fills.

The additives can throw the combustion off.

Salim
The following users liked this post:
RandyRX300 (12-16-16)

Quick Reply: code P1133 a/f sensor and shift problem