Road Course and Auto-X Discussion about road course, time trial and autocross racing.

Another Autocross Victory!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-03, 07:14 PM
UTGS400
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Another Autocross Victory!!!

Okay, so maybe I didn't come in first, but considering the cars I was racing against, I am as happy as can be. Once again, I took my GS to a Porsche autocross. My competition consisted of 911’s, 914’s, 944, 998’s and boxters just for starters. The highlight of the day was watching a 2003 Carrera Turbo take to the track…those things are pretty fast. Anyhow, overall, I had the 4th fastest car out of 22 cars (21 porsches).

Today was also my first time to really test my mods. The last time I went autocrossing, my only mod was the L-Tuned suspension. Since then, I have added an LSD, TC, sways and exhaust. And let me tell you, it made a HUGE difference on the track. I was afraid to hit the gas out there as I had lost control on my first run. I punched the gas taking a hard right out of a gate and lost the back end. In order to get back on track, I just kept the gas down and did a 360 smoking my tires the entire time. It was incredible. Once out of the turn, the only thing I could see was smoke in my rear view mirror.

I can finally honestly say that I think all my mods were worth the money.
Old 03-09-03, 08:03 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Sounds like you really kicked butt! What other racing experience do you have? Carts? Grand Turismo 3? Were they surprised at your showing or did they expect this based on how you did last time? Too bad you weren't filming!

That's what I want to hear! I'm looking for some positive reinforcement for my mods.
Old 03-09-03, 08:18 PM
kdubb
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very cool

btw- i'm kevin that you met at SW's place. probably gonna get the GS4 on tues/weds
Old 03-09-03, 09:26 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

congrats chad. i saw that you called but i dint have my cell with me. ill give you a call monday. i gotta story to tell........

Doc
Old 03-10-03, 06:12 AM
UTGS400
Instructor

Originally posted by redgs4
Sounds like you really kicked butt! What other racing experience do you have? Carts? Grand Turismo 3? Were they surprised at your showing or did they expect this based on how you did last time? Too bad you weren't filming!

That's what I want to hear! I'm looking for some positive reinforcement for my mods.
I really can't say I have too much racing experience...I just know what my car wills will do. Over the past few months, I have been attending one autocross a month, but lately my car has not been ready to race. I have been racing a 2002 porsche carrera. Other than that, my first car was a miata and second car was a Z3, and I learned to drive both of those cars on windy back roads. My dad and I used to time ourselves on a specific stretch of a road to see who the better driver was. After a year of driving, I started to beat my dad and ended up with a time around 30 seconds faster than him (He took 3 minutes, I took 2 minutes 30 seconds). I guess that is where I learned to drive.

kdubb- Good luck with your purchase...the GS up there does look pretty nice, and you will save a good chunk of change on mods buying that one. But before you buy it, get it checked out. I would suggest taking it to Bearden Automotive...they specialize in toyota (lexus) cars. If you want more info, PM me.
Old 03-10-03, 06:31 AM
tmasta
Intermediate

i had one question about track racing. i have a body kit (win racing) and l tuned suspension.. is there anyone my car would roll so much that my kit would scrap? i would really like to take the car on a track one day but im scared the kit will get damaged. thanks!

T
Old 03-10-03, 06:39 AM
UTGS400
Instructor

If you add sways and an STB I think you will be fine. My car hardly leans at all in hard cornering. Hopefully someone that is more knowledgeable will chime in.
Old 03-10-03, 09:34 AM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

Thumbs up what is next

Chad,
I don't remember if you have upgraded brake yet, but better brake and Tein HA would probably put you into second on the list hee hee. the L-Tune as too soft for auto-x