Road Course and Auto-X Discussion about road course, time trial and autocross racing.

FIGS/N1 Racing Finish the 25hrs of Thunderhill

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-13, 10:36 AM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 141 Likes on 73 Posts
Default FIGS/N1 Racing Finish the 25hrs of Thunderhill

This will be a place to put all of my pictures from the event.

Well we ran a #25hrsOfThunderhill successful race and finished. We overcame so many obstacles including manufacturing our own brake pads for both OEM brakes. The front BBK was destroyed when the pads were run to the backing plate and got so hot that the pistons pierced the backing plate (more pics on that later). It was not a perfect race but we found a strategy that worked well and conserved resourced to allow a finish. We actually finished in 7th so even though we were way behind after some major pit work we were gaining ground. Our car was hit 3 times through the night and we had to do emergency repairs several times. I was not planning on working but had to step in to get VSC disabled, sport mode enabled and in the final moments re-tap a factory front caliper that was 500 degrees because the bolt fouled when we were swapping a sheared wheel stud. Thanks Mark Mcmanus Race Car Driver at N1 Racing for the opportunity to work on this team and to hopefully prove the capabilities of a Lexus in competitive motorsports. The IS300 would have set pole in out class with a 1:59 but due to the increased G's we suspect it had oil starvation issues. Outstanding experience that I will remember for years to come. Our front LCA rear bearing mounts stood up the entire race and unfortunately due to the front spring size we could not run our upper control arms. Great testing, great team and thanks to Lexus for providing all the food that kept my brain working for 2 straight days with little sleep.

Our official result

36th overall 527 Total laps 7th in class.

IS300 block hole from side.

Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions

Last edited by FIGS; 12-12-13 at 09:43 AM.
Old 12-11-13, 03:19 PM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congratulations on finishing and I could only imagine all what this race entails. Awesome picture!
Old 01-15-14, 07:33 PM
WebbRacing
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was a pleasure working with you and being part of this amazing effort! While I was certainly disappointed that my driving in the IS 300 stopped with practice, I was very excited to see the IS 250 cross the finish line at the end of 25 hours. Hope we'll have a chance to do it again!
Old 01-15-14, 08:16 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 141 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by WebbRacing
It was a pleasure working with you and being part of this amazing effort! While I was certainly disappointed that my driving in the IS 300 stopped with practice, I was very excited to see the IS 250 cross the finish line at the end of 25 hours. Hope we'll have a chance to do it again!
Absolutely Scott it was great to work with you as well. Looking forward to any future opportunities to do it again.
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions