Road Course and Auto-X Discussion about road course, time trial and autocross racing.

HAPPY with Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 (track pics and video)

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-11, 12:14 PM
NoHoIS350
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by juice14
NoHo whats up, I remember you teling me this, Hoosisers were on my mind for months and then I decided to go with a tire that i could have on the street once in a while and not have to change it everytime I went to the track. I also want something to last me at more than 3-4 track days. I think I can get alot more than that with the RE11s. Believe me ill get some R6's at some point, probably when I get the ISF next year

About the suspension, the video you see is only a time trial in a short portion of the go kart track, It felt much better with the susp full stiff on the rear. Maybe because my coilovers are 10k 8k instead of most set ups at 12/10 or 12/8. Ill keep trying different things, ive only used the Re11s once... on the full track I feel better with stiffer suspension and low psi on the tires. u knwo how its a feel thing more than actual results, its hard to meassure.

Lemme see your S2000 I love that car.. pics?
Haha umm yea don't have it yet..

Originally Posted by blitz_714
For corners and track courses i used S mode =paddle shifters=Gears limiter, in and out corner or apexes quicker _ + pull harder then just leave it D mode . Required some practices....
I did the same for me was the say "down shift" def have to play around to find that spot where you break & get the car right. I found for me was to break a tad earlier i was def able to carry way more speed through the turn than to break a little later, cuz our heavy car needs a bit to get right. Tryn to find the right point i have spun my car twice both times was breaking a tad to deep. Haha
Old 09-22-11, 06:28 PM
SCWB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What size of RE11 you are running front and back?
Old 09-22-11, 06:44 PM
CleverName
Pole Position

The Re-11s are a great tire, and not easily compared to any other out there that is street legal.
I'm on my second set (1st on my Lex) and use them as my daily summer tire.

My only disappointment is road noise, but I forget all about it as soon as the next corner comes up!

Nice Pics

Vince
Old 09-22-11, 08:33 PM
TTechLexus
Lead Lap

Nice pictures and video
Old 09-22-11, 09:22 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Oh and u might wanna roll up the windows and tilted the moonroof to get some air in, its help a little.
Old 09-22-11, 09:26 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

I found the Michelin Pilot Super Sport a much better tire than the RE-11.
Old 09-23-11, 03:43 AM
MrBBQ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks like a lot fun tracking with a car. I've done track days on bikes, never tried it with a car. What are the spec of your GT-S and tire sizes?
Old 09-23-11, 10:57 AM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SCWB
What size of RE11 you are running front and back?
235/35/19 and 265/35/19
Old 09-23-11, 11:02 AM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TimboIS
I found the Michelin Pilot Super Sport a much better tire than the RE-11.
They arent in the same category, Im not sure if they are the same compound, but I assume the RE11 are different and more oriented towards performance, the Michelins are more of a great overall sport tire with great comfort. I think you would have to compare the RE11 with the Dunloop Direzza Star Spec, the Yokohama advan adv 08, in that area with 180 treadwear
The PS2 are in the same category as the Super Sport and when I took the PS2 to the track they kept loosing grip when getting too hot,, i kept having to control the throttle more and be more carefull in turns. I asume the Super Sport would be the same...

With the RE11 the hotter the better., they just never loose grip, its crazy.
Old 09-23-11, 09:56 PM
CleverName
Pole Position

Originally Posted by juice14
They aren't in the same category,
My thoughts exactly

The Mich PSS have a great rep, and deservedly so...... but the RE-11's are pretty much "Top of the line" in a streetable performance tire category in my book.
I think the unfortunate part to these tires isn't the tire, but the lack of any real feedback from the Lexus itself as you push them to the limits of adhesion. The Lex's touch is just not as informative at the steering wheel to let you really play the fine-edge like I would prefer. I'm thinking about installing a 5-point harness to lighten my grip on the wheel to see if it is actually there (I may be griping too tight holding myself in the seat), but punching holes in the floorboards (for the mounts) will certainly hurt the resale value of the car, so I hesitate for now.

Still, I love the "11's" and am willing to pay the price for the fun I get out of them... I think most performance enthusiast deserve to try a set.

V
Old 09-24-11, 02:49 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Originally Posted by CleverName
I'm thinking about installing a 5-point harness to lighten my grip on the wheel to see if it is actually there (I may be griping too tight holding myself in the seat), but punching holes in the floorboards (for the mounts) will certainly hurt the resale value of the car, so I hesitate for now.
Are you already using something like the CG-lock? Helps with OEM belts if you don't want to take the next step for a harness quite yet.

http://www.cg-lock.com/index.html
Old 09-24-11, 02:53 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Juice, we're going to be in South Carolina at Carolina Motorsports Park (CMP) in a couple of weeks with the Tarheel Sports Car Club. Not sure if Lobuxracer is going to come - he usually does these events. My wife instructs for these guys during the HPDE and usually runs the time trials.

http://www.thscc.com/timetrial/

Just in case you're interested in trying out those tires some more
Old 09-24-11, 08:18 PM
CleverName
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Are you already using something like the CG-lock? Helps with OEM belts if you don't want to take the next step for a harness quite yet.
[/url]
No, I tried similar tricks back in the 90's and eventually just went for the 5 point. (Its now hanging on my garage wall taunting me daily.)

The difference in vehicle control once you use a real harness make thinking about anything less very difficult.

I guess I should pull the drivers seat and study the mounts. Maybe I can get creative for the lap belt attach points without punching through the floorboards which would be nice.
But then, I don't track like I use to back then either, so who knows.... My aggressive driving style would love it, but my age and practicality has me asking myself why bother... I'm suppose to be slowing down, not speeding up.

V
Old 09-27-11, 05:48 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

DAVE, thanks for the invite but Im in the caribeean. I had my car in GA for a year then finished grad school and moved to the Dominican. I love having my car here, the weather never gets under 65 in the winter and I dont have to deal with any snow
ANyways thanks for the invite and post some pics for me to see.

Speaking about the steering on the IS350, how would you guys compare the ISF's steering to the IS350? Im thinking of getting an ISF next year and Ive been wondering how well would it do on the track?
Old 09-27-11, 10:22 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Steering is very different. The F has a lot more feedback than the 350. For the F you'll want 285/30/18s on all four corners (this would also be ideal for your 350...) and you'll forget all about the RE-11s the first time you run real slicks.

I'm not doing the CMP event this fall - I had to spend my track money on the house replacing the front door and window, all rotted from Georgia's humidity.

I do want to take a trip to DR though and visit Fuente's factory. I met Arturo Jr. in Tampa two weeks ago, would love to see where the tobacco is grown and where the cigars are rolled!

Quick Reply: HAPPY with Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 (track pics and video)