Road Course and Auto-X Discussion about road course, time trial and autocross racing.

Went to a track and have a few questions

Old 04-04-11, 10:21 PM
Globalinx
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Went to a track and have a few questions

As the title says, I went to a local track (road course) event past Saturday with my 2000 GS400 and had a blast. The only concern is that after running 4-5 hot laps the "tiptronic" buttons would stop letting me to gear from 3rd down to 2nd. The car will beep twice and gear will stay in 3rd. After a few cool off laps the transmission works normal again. Is it a preventative measure that Lexus has not to overheat the trany, or I am having a transmission problem? BTW no light came on the cluster to indicate the overheating of transmission oil. I have stock brakes and they heat up too fast, and underperform, therefore slowing the car down with motor really helps. Also, if I were to just give it a gas coming out of the turn, the car will drop a gear as usual and accelerate on the second gear, but wouldn't allow me drop down to second before I enter the corner. So should I take it easy on this car from now on to prolong the life of the trany? Or there is a transmission cooler available and I can run it hard? The car has 135,000 very well maintained miles on it (Schedule prescribed and executed by Lexus). I also heard somewhere that I could upgrade front brakes to a bigger one from LS400. Could someone please elaborate on that? I am not looking to turn the car in to a track one, but if there are cheap mods to get it to stop better and prevent killing the transmission, I will definitely enjoy more track days ahead.
Thank you all.
Old 04-04-11, 11:32 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The beeping is just a safety measure.

I suggest you get a trans cooler asap. Its cheap, easy, and it will help your trans last longer. There is a stickied thread in the performance section about it.

As far as brakes go, yes you can upgrade to the MKIV Supra TT front brakes or the LS400. There is tons of info on this, just do a search.
Old 04-05-11, 01:10 AM
Globalinx
Pole Position

Ok, I did some reading on LS callipers. If I'll grind them and the bolt good, they should fit. Right? I do not want to mess with custom brackets of any kind. What about the Supra TT brakes? Do they fit without any modifications? Also where could I get the transmission OIL cooler?

Last edited by Globalinx; 04-05-11 at 01:36 AM.
Old 04-05-11, 05:32 AM
luda42688
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my question to you is if you have a 94viper, wtf are you doing at the track with a gs4?
Old 04-05-11, 09:06 AM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by luda42688
my question to you is if you have a 94viper, wtf are you doing at the track with a gs4?
great question, and op SEARCH in the preformance and suspention threads. everything has been talked about before. might even wanna try the drifting section too.
Old 04-05-11, 12:05 PM
Globalinx
Pole Position

Originally Posted by luda42688
I will answer that question if someone will answer my questions first
Old 04-05-11, 12:35 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Globalinx
I will answer that question if someone will answer my questions first
they did..........u just choosing to ignore it

see the quotes beloow

Originally Posted by mex lex
The beeping is just a safety measure. I suggest you get a trans cooler asap. Its cheap, easy, and it will help your trans last longer. There is a stickied thread in the performance section about it.
As far as brakes go, yes you can upgrade to the MKIV Supra TT front brakes or the LS400. There is tons of info on this, just do a search.

Originally Posted by SoCal Cyco
great question, and op SEARCH in the preformance and suspention threads. everything has been talked about before. might even wanna try the drifting section too.
Old 04-05-11, 01:25 PM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
they did..........u just choosing to ignore it

see the quotes beloow
thank you brian, darn noobs
Old 04-05-11, 04:09 PM
Globalinx
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SoCal Cyco
thank you brian, darn noobs
Thank you all, great advise. I didn't ignore anything, and read whole bunch threads. The answerers: that it can be done I knew already. The question stands if the Supra TT brkes will fit without any aditional mods. I just thought it might be easier for me to ask and get a quick answer, instead of searching through countless and usless threads likethis one. Also, "where I could get a trans oil cooler" question hasn't been answered... Great job at noob bashing and turning this thread in to junk, great help for the next searching party. Off I go to read some more on the subject and try to find an answer.
Old 04-05-11, 04:23 PM
luda42688
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First you go to 2GS 300/400/430 HALL of FAME Links thread (look in here first O.Gs and newbies) thread which is located here https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...d-newbies.html

You then scroll down to this link labeled "LINKS TO MOST DIY (Do it yourself)" and click on this link provided here https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ou-search.html

You then scroll down to BRAKES AND SUSPENSION: sections and click on the link that says Supra TT brake upgrade DIY: which will bring you to thi link... http://planetsoarer.com/suprabrakesI...akeUpgrade.htm

Last edited by rominl; 04-05-11 at 05:57 PM.
Old 04-05-11, 04:28 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

As far as the TT brakes go, I'm pretty sure they should fit the GS without any problems since they fit an SC just fine.

Value wise, the LS400 brakes might be the way to go since they're cheaper than the TT brakes and are nearly as good.

I believe there's a set for sale in the classifieds.

Last edited by ThomasGS4; 04-05-11 at 04:33 PM.
Old 04-05-11, 05:19 PM
Globalinx
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
As far as the TT brakes go, I'm pretty sure they should fit the GS without any problems since they fit an SC just fine.

Value wise, the LS400 brakes might be the way to go since they're cheaper than the TT brakes and are nearly as good.

I believe there's a set for sale in the classifieds.
Thank you. (first useful answer)
I was initially considering the LS400 brakes, but decided against them as additional, custom brackets are almost necessary, or the callipers will need to be grinded down. I'd rather spend a little extra and have a just bolt on application.
Old 04-05-11, 05:33 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

A good place to look for TT brakes is supraforums. (Obviously)

I think that's where most SC owners get them.
Old 04-05-11, 05:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

please get back on topic, and keep a sense of community here
Old 04-05-11, 07:58 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Supra TT brakes fit the 2gs without any modification (besides removing or bending the dust cover). how do i know? I HAVE IT!

Tranny oil cooler? check the sticky that ONLY talks about tranny cooler.

IBTL... since name calling has begun!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Went to a track and have a few questions