Road Course and Auto-X Discussion about road course, time trial and autocross racing.

Went to a track and have a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-11, 08:04 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Not all RCAs lower the car by 1". Whatever thickness RCA you have is what the car will drop by. I have 0.5" RCA just to clear my LS400 calipers, and my front end lowered by 0.5". Of course I have coils so I raised it back up by that amount. I consider 1/2" the minimum thickness the RCA needs to be to clear the calipers.
Old 04-07-11, 06:29 AM
luda42688
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well now that I think about it this may work out in my favor. I'm picking up a set of 19 or 20 inch wheels soon and wont have any suspension work for a little while, I could run the 1" rca to drop it down a bit. hmm Then I would have to do something about the rear... scratch that lol.
Does the 1/2" give it enough clearance? I want to clear it with eas so if I run this route I'll have to go with a 1"
Old 04-08-11, 09:32 AM
fastryan
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Globalinx
As the title says, I went to a local track (road course) event past Saturday with my 2000 GS400 and had a blast. The only concern is that after running 4-5 hot laps the "tiptronic" buttons would stop letting me to gear from 3rd down to 2nd. The car will beep twice and gear will stay in 3rd. After a few cool off laps the transmission works normal again. Is it a preventative measure that Lexus has not to overheat the trany, or I am having a transmission problem? BTW no light came on the cluster to indicate the overheating of transmission oil. I have stock brakes and they heat up too fast, and underperform, therefore slowing the car down with motor really helps. Also, if I were to just give it a gas coming out of the turn, the car will drop a gear as usual and accelerate on the second gear, but wouldn't allow me drop down to second before I enter the corner. So should I take it easy on this car from now on to prolong the life of the trany? Or there is a transmission cooler available and I can run it hard? The car has 135,000 very well maintained miles on it (Schedule prescribed and executed by Lexus). I also heard somewhere that I could upgrade front brakes to a bigger one from LS400. Could someone please elaborate on that? I am not looking to turn the car in to a track one, but if there are cheap mods to get it to stop better and prevent killing the transmission, I will definitely enjoy more track days ahead.
Thank you all.
the problem you are experiencing imo, and this comes from multiple track days with my gs4, is simply trying to downshift too soon. if the car senses that you are trying to make a downshift that will land you in the red, (too high of rpm) it will beep and prevent the downshift. with the windows down, adrenaline wayyyy up and a helmet on, it is VERY easy to do this.just keep hitting the button while braking, it will go when its rite, or just keep one eye on the tach. i would not worry too much about the trans., i run mine wfo for twenty plus HOT laps. every hour or so three to five times a day at an event. the brakes are the big problem here. they last about 3-4 hard laps. awesome to here that others are tracking this sedan.
Old 04-12-11, 11:16 PM
Globalinx
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, Now I am really confused about the brakes. On the local Supra site there was a mentioning that the JDM brakes are bigger than "whatever the other ones are" for the TT Supra. Which ones do I need? The US designated supra TT brakes or the JDM Supra TT? I have a local guy who wants an arm and a leg for his JDMs. I am writing it here because the local club, and their web site is very small, and may take a while to answer.
Old 04-13-11, 11:36 AM
ashcaivtt
Driver School Candidate

If they are the same as this, buy them
I had to put a 5mm spacer behind my alloys to clear the calipers.
They are HUGE
Attached Thumbnails Went to a track and have a few questions-2011-03-24-12.58.54-1.jpg   Went to a track and have a few questions-2011-03-25-18.21.24.jpg  

Last edited by ashcaivtt; 04-13-11 at 11:39 AM.
Old 04-15-11, 06:45 PM
TonyHC
Driver

I took my GS4 to MidAmerica last season and had a great time. The engine or tranny didnt give me any issues, but this season Im coming back with an aux. trans cooler just in case. My rotors were shot after one afternoon of hot laps. I was running some Raybestos rotors with HAWK HPS pads. The pads were great. The rotors turned slight blue and by the end of the day, I had to get on the brakes hard to make them stop. The rotors needed to be changed.

Go for some Brembo blanks or some Centric rotors with a good set of pads. I will be back to MidAmerica this year again and let you know how this set up holds up. The auxilary tranny cooler I got is from Hayden. # 1679. The 1677 or 1678 should be fine also.
Old 04-24-11, 11:51 PM
Globalinx
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ashcaivtt
If they are the same as this, buy them
I had to put a 5mm spacer behind my alloys to clear the calipers.
They are HUGE

Hmm... The onse that I can get my hands on are the onse pictured below. But I guess they are the wrong onse? Apparently they came off of Toyota Supra MK4 and they are 4 pot calipers. Any one could confirm that those wont/will fit my GS?

Attached Thumbnails Went to a track and have a few questions-calipers.jpg  
Old 04-25-11, 06:28 AM
shurian
Pit Crew

Check this trans cooler also

http://www.andysautosport.com/lexus/...ers/mishimoto/
Old 05-10-11, 07:58 PM
Globalinx
Pole Position

Ok, I couldn't get the TRD brakes, as the guy sold it. So, I went to a local shop and had them find and order the Supra TT callipers. Instead of Supra brakes the supplier sent, what appear to be LS400 callipers, which obviously do not fit on my GS. Now, how in the hell did they cross reference the two? The shop called and verified that the brakes are for the Supra TT. Am I missing something? The year of a supra? I thought 93-97. Is there a Toyota exact part number that I need?
Old 05-10-11, 08:44 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

looks like the bolt is too long for these. I think fig needs to make the rca a bit taller or provide a taller washer or a shorter bolt.

Now back on topic.

Originally Posted by sakataj
why is the RCA a PITA? I have FIGS's RCA's and they were simple......

what is a a PITA about these?

i also have spacers but havent put them on yet so i dont know if i need them or not on my brakes with my g35 rims
Old 05-11-11, 05:47 PM
Globalinx
Pole Position

I was thinking of shaving the bolt and maybe shaving a calliper instead of RCAs. Just not sure how safe the RCAs are at high load applications, + I do not have the coil overs, to bring the front of the car back to normal high. Can I get away by shaving just the bolt and not the calliper? How much clearance do I need between the tie rod bolt and the calliper for safe operation? Does the tie rod bolt move at high forces closer to the calliper?
Old 05-11-11, 08:16 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Globalinx
I was thinking of shaving the bolt and maybe shaving a calliper instead of RCAs. Just not sure how safe the RCAs are at high load applications, + I do not have the coil overs, to bring the front of the car back to normal high. Can I get away by shaving just the bolt and not the calliper? How much clearance do I need between the tie rod bolt and the calliper for safe operation? Does the tie rod bolt move at high forces closer to the calliper?
I think there is a thread on shaving the bolt. If you don't go beyond the crown of the bolt and also able to still utilize the lock, you should be good. Of course, do it at your own risk. If I recall, the op didn't take much off either... take only the part you need off, off
Old 05-12-11, 01:35 PM
OT0814
Lead Lap

i would rather get rcas. i wouldnt trust shaving anything that is metal. You say you are not sure how they will stand up on the track but is it safe to be grinding down metal and then expect it to preform the same? Im just saying. If you get the figs rca or even the sage rca like i did it doesnt drop it a bunch and to be honest it evens the car out and makes it look nicer. It wont look like a donk sittin on some kobes anymore
Old 05-20-11, 05:25 PM
Globalinx
Pole Position

Not sure why I didn't post it here first, but my logical conclusion to my saga is located here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...ml#post6405442
Thank you all for your tips.