Road Course and Auto-X Discussion about road course, time trial and autocross racing.

Went to a track and have a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-11, 09:12 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

The only concern you should have with the Supra brakes is wheel clearance. The Supra brakes are wider than the stock brakes so if you're running OEM wheels, you'll need at least a 15mm spacer.

As for the cooler, this is what I'm running right now:
http://www.amazon.com/70268-SuperCoo...2062938&sr=8-2

It's a great cooler. I like it more than the fine/tube design. It stands up well to rocks and debris since the construction is practically solid. In reality, any cooler is better than none at all when it comes to tracking your car. I have mine set up so that the transmission pumps fluid into the OEM cooler, and then goes to the B&M, then finally routes back to the transmission.
Old 04-05-11, 10:28 PM
Globalinx
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
The only concern you should have with the Supra brakes is wheel clearance. The Supra brakes are wider than the stock brakes so if you're running OEM wheels, you'll need at least a 15mm spacer.

As for the cooler, this is what I'm running right now:
http://www.amazon.com/70268-SuperCoo...2062938&sr=8-2

It's a great cooler. I like it more than the fine/tube design. It stands up well to rocks and debris since the construction is practically solid. In reality, any cooler is better than none at all when it comes to tracking your car. I have mine set up so that the transmission pumps fluid into the OEM cooler, and then goes to the B&M, then finally routes back to the transmission.
Thanks alot, I apreciate it. Done deal! Supra brakes and B&M cooler. BTW, where did you place the extra cooler?
Old 04-05-11, 10:44 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Right in front of the A/C condenser (lower left hand corner). I used metal straps and bent them so they support the cooler. It's sturdy enough that I cannot move it if I tried to.
Old 04-06-11, 06:56 AM
luda42688
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cheapest I've found the supra tt brake package is here http://www.luxurymods.com/suprattfrontbrakeupgrade.aspx
and that includes rotors pads and stainless steel lines.

To clarify things up, supra TT brake upgrade Fits the 92-00 SC300/400, 90-00 LS400, and 98-05 GS300/400/430.
Old 04-06-11, 10:56 AM
Globalinx
Pole Position

I found a local guy who has a set of used 94 trd supra 4 pot calipers with the rotors. I take it as this is what I need?
Old 04-06-11, 11:08 AM
luda42688
Lead Lap

Yes, I would definatly upgrade to steel braided brake line while your already in there. Cheap but very cost effective especially sicne your going to need to bleed the lines anyway. You'll also need pads and are the rotors new or used? depending on the condition I would consider buying new rotors, unless theres in good condition in which case you'll jsut need pads. other then that you should be good to go.

How much did you find these calipers for?

the LS400 brake upgrade is a PITA from what I understand so I'm thinking of going this route as well.
Old 04-06-11, 11:14 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by luda42688
the LS400 brake upgrade is a PITA from what I understand so I'm thinking of going this route as well.
where do u guys read this?

the LS swap is simple....get a RCA,get the ls pads/rotors/and calipers then bend the brake shield back and your done...
IF YOUR CHEAP AND UNSAFE (IMHO ITS UNSAFE) shave the bolt down (no RCA needed if u shave the bolt) and tada
Old 04-06-11, 11:16 AM
luda42688
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sakataj

the LS swap is simple....get a RCA,get the ls pads/rotors/and calipers DONE...
rca is the major pita, the other part is simple. the thing with the LS swap is that if you don't have the right offsets with your wheels then your going to need a 10-15mm spacer. I like to be safe so I would probably run extended lugs also.

RCA also drops your suspension 1" from what I recal so you'll also need suspension work to compensate for this.

This is all what i've read and not what I've experienced so I'm not 100% on this.
Old 04-06-11, 11:25 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by luda42688
rca is the major pita, the other part is simple. the thing with the LS swap is that if you don't have the right offsets with your wheels then your going to need a 10-15mm spacer. I like to be safe so I would probably run extended lugs also.

RCA also drops your suspension 1" from what I recal so you'll also need suspension work to compensate for this.

This is all what i've read and not what I've experienced so I'm not 100% on this.
why is the RCA a PITA? I have FIGS's RCA's and they were simple......

what is a a PITA about these?

i also have spacers but havent put them on yet so i dont know if i need them or not on my brakes with my g35 rims

Last edited by sakataj; 04-06-11 at 11:30 AM.
Old 04-06-11, 12:24 PM
EN_VY
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Globalinx
I will answer that question if someone will answer my questions first
Ok, your question has been answered. Now tell us why the GS sees the track and not the Viper.
Old 04-06-11, 01:20 PM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

the LS swap is simple....get a RCA,get the ls pads/rotors/and calipers then bend the brake shield back and your done...
IF YOUR CHEAP AND UNSAFE (IMHO ITS UNSAFE) shave the bolt down (no RCA needed if u shave the bolt) and tada
you also need spacers the reason its apain in the *** is cause in not just abolt on affair. you need to buy multiple pieces to make them fit, rcas, spacers, bent the dust shield, pads, rotors...and from what i hear its not that big of a difference.
Old 04-06-11, 01:33 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SoCal Cyco
you also need spacers the reason its apain in the *** is cause in not just abolt on affair. you need to buy multiple pieces to make them fit, rcas, spacers, bent the dust shield, pads, rotors...and from what i hear its not that big of a difference.
u ONLY need spacers depending on your offsets of your rims...
Old 04-06-11, 01:36 PM
Globalinx
Pole Position

Originally Posted by EN_VY
Ok, your question has been answered. Now tell us why the GS sees the track and not the Viper.
Thank all for help. I got all the answers. The Viper sees track time as well. The reason I take my GS to the track is simple. My Viper comes without side windows, and its just plain too cold to drive it down to the facility sometimes. I live 80mi away from the track and during spring and autumn the weather is fairly cold and wet up here. Also, its fun to kick a$$ with a GS
Old 04-06-11, 02:44 PM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

u ONLY need spacers depending on your offsets of your rims...
i have weak offsets and still needed a 10mm spacer, almost everyone will need spacers. the ls brakes are about an inch or so wider than the stockies.
Old 04-06-11, 04:17 PM
luda42688
Lead Lap

well i guess itsot that much of a pita if its just addin rca and spacers. I was under the impressin you needed to tweak the suspension because of the rca offsetting the suspension about an inch

Quick Reply: Went to a track and have a few questions