Road Course and Auto-X Discussion about road course, time trial and autocross racing.

DD/wkend track brake pad and fluid recommendations

Old 01-15-11, 11:37 AM
ALLCHILL
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DD/wkend track brake pad and fluid recommendations

Please chime in if you track (circuit) your daily driven IS350. I'm looking to upgrade the pads and fluid for the spring. Currently looking at the Carbotech XP8 but wondering how ppl feel about them on the streets. This will be the first time i considered upgrading the brake fluid so any suggestions would be great.

Thanks in advance
Old 01-15-11, 01:08 PM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Check this thread out...I have been asking some very similar questions and I have been given some great advice and recommendations...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...-thoughts.html
Old 01-15-11, 02:53 PM
KI_GSE21
Lead Lap

This will be helpful:

http://www.stoptech.com/Products/brake_fluid.shtml

http://www.stoptech.com/Products/hig...nce_pads.shtml

Endless and ProjectMU racing brake pads would be a nice choice and Motul RBF600 fluid would be a track-oriented brake fluid.
Old 01-19-11, 08:20 PM
DAng87
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i run motul rbf600 in my track bike, gives the best feel as well as one of the highest dot3/dot4 boiling points. expensive thogh.
Old 01-20-11, 10:23 AM
NoHoIS350
Pole Position

Again for the limited time we take our cars to the track just add Race pads like a EBC Red & say a slotted rotor. I never changed my fluid & prob done more track days with my IS350 than anyone here. I also had on Hoosiers R6 tires for my last 3 track day events, VERY GRIPPY. Those tires alone i added 10-15mph around turns. I never changed my brake fluid & recently went back to stock rotors & pads & my brakes are fine.
People you all hear way to much crap out there. You realize you drive your car every day & it works. You can take you car as is to the track & it will be fine. I have done it! Also if you never have taken your car to a track day your never gonna push it that hard your first day. So just go run it & learn when you get faster than up-grade. No need to put all this crap on your car the first time out.
I went to a track day my first time with a stock IS350 with only a F-Rear sway
watch! a pretty much stock IS350
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwvU3CEqCHE

Now here is one at a different track with Joe-Z intake/Slotted rotors/EBC reds pads/Buddy Club race coils & Hoosier R6 tires. My 4th Track day event Oh yea the F-Sport Rear Sway
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BPLI...eature=related

Last edited by NoHoIS350; 01-20-11 at 11:42 AM.
Old 01-20-11, 11:24 AM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

That looks like fun. I need to find some time to take mine out to a track.
Old 01-20-11, 11:43 PM
KI_GSE21
Lead Lap

NoHoIS350: I wouldn't regard Motul RBF600 as crap. Upgrading the brake fluid to one with a higher boiling point will help you out on the track. Same goes for upgraded brake lines and brake pads that can higher operating temperature (brake fad, initial bite, etc).
These are all important when you bring your car to the track, again, it depends on how you prepare your car for the track. Some people just go stock and while some care to upgrade their braking system. You can go fast, but you must also bring the car to a stop.

I just feel that brake component upgrades should not be interpreted as crap. Speak to those experienced people who bring their cars to Pacific Raceways and they know how brake upgrades are useful for tracking events. Stock is fine, but not the best.

Just my 2 cents =)
Old 01-21-11, 12:12 AM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I track my car and I have EBC redstuff, they work really good at the track, Im sure there are better pads for a tracka set up. but EBC red stuff is a nice balance between track and street. Ive also had better street pads, less dust, more quiet, etc but they arent as good at the track. its a give or take thing
Old 01-21-11, 12:12 PM
NoHoIS350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by KI_GSE21
NoHoIS350: I wouldn't regard Motul RBF600 as crap. Upgrading the brake fluid to one with a higher boiling point will help you out on the track. Same goes for upgraded brake lines and brake pads that can higher operating temperature (brake fad, initial bite, etc).
These are all important when you bring your car to the track, again, it depends on how you prepare your car for the track. Some people just go stock and while some care to upgrade their braking system. You can go fast, but you must also bring the car to a stop.

I just feel that brake component upgrades should not be interpreted as crap. Speak to those experienced people who bring their cars to Pacific Raceways and they know how brake upgrades are useful for tracking events. Stock is fine, but not the best.

Just my 2 cents =)
Sorry wrong choice of words, Wasn't sayn the oil was crap. Crap meaning all aftermarket parts. Yes all that will help but really the once or twice track day person wont really benefit from spending all the money & time. The IS's stock brakes will work fine for that. If you plan on tracking a lot than yes do it. I am at that point with my IS, that's why i stopped. I out grew it. Done killing it & there are a lot of other issues with the IS than just upgrading the oil & lines.
Old 01-21-11, 05:45 PM
ALLCHILL
Rookie

Originally Posted by NoHoIS350
Again for the limited time we take our cars to the track just add Race pads like a EBC Red & say a slotted rotor. I never changed my fluid & prob done more track days with my IS350 than anyone here. I also had on Hoosiers R6 tires for my last 3 track day events, VERY GRIPPY. Those tires alone i added 10-15mph around turns. I never changed my brake fluid & recently went back to stock rotors & pads & my brakes are fine.
People you all hear way to much crap out there. You realize you drive your car every day & it works. You can take you car as is to the track & it will be fine. I have done it! Also if you never have taken your car to a track day your never gonna push it that hard your first day. So just go run it & learn when you get faster than up-grade. No need to put all this crap on your car the first time out.
I went to a track day my first time with a stock IS350 with only a F-Rear sway
watch! a pretty much stock IS350
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwvU3CEqCHE

Now here is one at a different track with Joe-Z intake/Slotted rotors/EBC reds pads/Buddy Club race coils & Hoosier R6 tires. My 4th Track day event Oh yea the F-Sport Rear Sway
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BPLI...eature=related
i experienced pedal fade last time i was out thats why im asking. On another note, could you show me how you mounted your camera? i dig the videos!
Old 01-22-11, 12:19 PM
NoHoIS350
Pole Position

Hey allchill Yeah if you just put on some Rotors & Pads all should be fine. After i put on the rotors & pads i still got a tad bit of fade but that was after more than a 20 minute hard session but most of the time the brakes worked great even with the hoosiers. With those tires the car will stop.
As for the camera mount. I use a Go-Pro Cam. It has a suction mount that went right on the front windshield on the outside just facing forward. Super easy. I am actually gonna go get a go pro today of my own.
This video i mounted the cam upside down using the suction cup to the sunroof glass. Then rotated the video later.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v915C1x53Xw
Old 02-15-12, 03:25 PM
SHAN3
Driver School Candidate

I like the Performance Friction line of brake pads and would get a quality blank rotor. I have used ATE super blue and typ 200 fluid and am about to put some rbf600 in. A friend with a Z06 really liked his pfc pads for both track and street and recommends them as well.
Old 03-01-12, 08:01 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,832 Likes on 2,321 Posts

The best advice - ask others who track where you plan to run. Some tracks are much harder on brakes than others. Harder tracks will benefit from a pad swap. Everything else is optional. Swapping rotors is overkill unless they're worn out. It never hurts to bleed your brakes, but putting a high temp fluid in the car won't matter unless the track is very hard on brakes.